Hank Haney; Muppet or funny guy

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I just don't see where its sexist at all. Did he mock their ability?

It's an inferior product. Doesn't matter how much media is thrown at it, crying foul because someone has the audacity to be honest isn't going to grow support for it long term imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

I just don't see where its sexist at all. Did he mock their ability?

It's an inferior product. Doesn't matter how much media is thrown at it, crying foul because someone has the audacity to be honest isn't going to grow support for it long term imo.

I guess it was just his dismissive tone maybe ? It all sounds like he was running down the game and the ability of the ladies.

The skill levels in their game is still superb and “inferior product “ - always hard in a sport when for decades they are deemed second class citizens.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I guess it was just his dismissive tone maybe ? It all sounds like he was running down the game and the ability of the ladies.

The skill levels in their game is still superb and “inferior product “ - always hard in a sport when for decades they are deemed second class citizens.

I agree their skill is superb. I don't watch it often but when I do its impressive. But as harsh as it may sound. Professional sport is a product and the women's game is the inferior one.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry but that’s quite clearly nonsense- he apologised, his show has been taken off the air so it has affected someone
It’s all over the media - people reacting to it and it’s put a bad light on the sport

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....may/30/hank-haney-racist-sexist-comments-golf

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ontroversial-comments-towards-womens-golf/amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../hank-haney-racist-sexist-comments-radio-show

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....elle-wie-blasts-hank-haney-racism-sexism/amp/

You can bury your head in the sand but it’s quite clearly something even if it’s just ill thought out - it has had a negative affect on a sport that already has a poor image.
Lots of news stories is because it's an easy catch, and justifies someone's wages in click-throughs. Journalism these days is not necessarily about quality, but more quantity in the terms of click-through.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

You cant argue with facts, do you watch football , if you do, do you watch womens football? Can you name any women players ?

D

Deleted member 15344

You cant argue with facts, do you watch football , if you do, do you watch womens football? Can you name any women players ?

I have seen the odd game - and heard of a few players like Lucy Bronze , Steph Hughton , Karen Carney , Toni Duggan , Fran Kirby - but they are the famous ones that are all over media at the moment because of the women’s World Cup which starts next week.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree their skill is superb. I don't watch it often but when I do its impressive. But as harsh as it may sound. Professional sport is a product and the women's game is the inferior one.

So when you have one of the most famous golf coaches , someone who coached Tiger Woods , will have a wide audience in the US - and he then talks dismissively about the Ladies game it’s going to have a negative and will have a backlash which is exactly what has happened. It’s Women’s Golf Day next week - where the sport are trying to get as many ladies into the sport as possible - things like this will make any lady think twice when someone who is supposed to be well respected in the game display the attitude he has done.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So when you have one of the most famous golf coaches , someone who coached Tiger Woods , will have a wide audience in the US - and he then talks dismissively about the Ladies game it’s going to have a negative and will have a backlash which is exactly what has happened. It’s Women’s Golf Day next week - where the sport are trying to get as many ladies into the sport as possible - things like this will make any lady think twice when someone who is supposed to be well respected in the game display the attitude he has done.

The mens and womens games are run entirely independently. Do you really think any lady just getting into the game will have even caught the original interview? I don't.

Now they may see the fall out and complaints and skip it. But that's been caused by the reaction. Not what he said.

I don't for a second feel that someone should be obliged to promote something they don't wish too. Why should he say its awesome if he doesn't belive it is? His field is the mens game. Not the women's.

Clearly we've different views. Because saying you don't rate it may be harsh. But it's not sexism.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What's the issue, hes just having a bit of a laugh. A huge number of women pro golfers are Asian, hes trying to have a laugh about it not make fun of them. He might not pay much attention to womens golf, I dont either, i know a couple of the lookers and would probably more likely to watch them for that rather than their ability. I dont follow womens football and couldn't name a player what's the issue ? Typical modern media making mountains out of mole hills

It boils down to whether he's laughing with them or at them

D

Deleted member 15344

The mens and womens games are run entirely independently. Do you really think any lady just getting into the game will have even caught the original interview? I don't.

Now they may see the fall out and complaints and skip it. But that's been caused by the reaction. Not what he said.

I don't for a second feel that someone should be obliged to promote something they don't wish too. Why should he say its awesome if he doesn't belive it is? His field is the mens game. Not the women's.

Clearly we've different views. Because saying you don't rate it may be harsh. But it's not sexism.
What does it matter how they are run ?

It’s one sport - golf and it’s no wonder the sport struggles when attitudes aim to split it up as if the ladies just can’t be mentioned alongside the men

No one has said he has to promote it or say how great it is but he did the totally opposite and his idiotic comments will have the complete opposite affect on the sport - the sport has enough dinosaurs who look down on Ladies in the sport without high profile coaches dismissing it. The whole thing could have been handled so much better from him but as per normal in the sport the foot is firmly in the mouth.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

It’s one sport - golf and it’s no wonder the sport struggles when attitudes decided to split it up.

No one has said he has to promote it or say how great it is but he did the totally opposite and his idiotic comments will have the complete opposite affect on the sport - the sport has enough dinosaurs who look down on Ladies in the sport without high profile coaches dismissing it. The whole thing could have been handled so much better from him but as per normal in the sport the foot is firmly in the mouth.
It won’t put women off taking up the game Phil 👍🏻
If they’re going to do it they will,they won’t think “I’m not playing golf because some old bloke said he couldn’t name many female golfers”

D

Deleted member 16999

This forum gets sadder by the day, why can’t we have a discussion without the same old people looking to score points against certain posters.
The Hank Haney story is currently in the Golf News, maybe some of you trolls should put up a daily list of what we may or may not discuss.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This forum gets sadder by the day, why can’t we have a discussion without the same old people looking to score points against certain posters.
The Hank Haney story is currently in the Golf News, maybe some of you trolls should put up a daily list of what we may or may not discuss.
I can't see anyone saying it shouldn't be discussed? In fact, I asked you whether you thought it was racist and you refused to discuss it ;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

It’s one sport - golf and it’s no wonder the sport struggles when attitudes aim to split it up as if the ladies just can’t be mentioned alongside the men

It’s not one sport. It’s lots of different products.

I’m not gonna keep going on. We clearly think differently.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
[

I'm now resigned to just ignoring certain posts, I'm sure 90% of the posts are well intentioned and, when all is said and done, there is bound to be opposite views on most issues, but I reckon no one changes their mind when someone points out they could be wrong anyway.

D

Deleted member 16999

I can't see anyone saying it shouldn't be discussed? In fact, I asked you whether you thought it was racist and you refused to discuss it ;)
I’ve been out for a few hours and the thread has gone from people discussing the comments to childish remarks and trolling imo, (not by you)
I therefore have lost interest in the thread.
As for whether I think it’s racist, it’s irrelevant, as I’ve said on other threads I was an E&D Officer for over 10 years and one of the first things you learn is not to make judgements or allow your prejudices to cloud the facts.
If his comments have made someone feel offended then who are we to tell them they are wrong, will some some white, middle aged Englishman telling them or you that they are being over-sensitive make one bit of difference?

I don’t see how anyone needs to take sides to have a discussion.

D

Deleted member 16999

[

I'm now resigned to just ignoring certain posts, I'm sure 90% of the posts are well intentioned and, when all is said and done, there is bound to be opposite views on most issues, but I reckon no one changes their mind when someone points out they could be wrong anyway.
I don’t disagree Chris, it’s when the responses get personal or certain posters join in for no other reason than to make childish comments to other posters.
If they have something to say about the subject or discuss the subject, great. Sadly some simply troll and add nothing.