Hank Haney; Muppet or funny guy

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course we have, but I’m not and I don’t think you are in the public eye in a position of influence with a listening audience of potentially millions.
Like I said before, he’s apologised, people should move on, but then we get the people questioning his reason for the apology(not you)

Does it make what was said more wrong because of the position he holds. All I'm saying is that it's only because of his position that he was pulled up, if he said it in the clubhouse no one would have batted an eyelid. I'm sure he believes what he said but issued an apology just to make life easy. I've now seen stories saying he should be sacked, hung and thrown to the wolves for saying something that you'd hear from Male golfers any day of the week.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does it make what was said more wrong because of the position he holds. All I'm saying is that it's only because of his position that he was pulled up, if he said it in the clubhouse no one would have batted an eyelid. I'm sure he believes what he said but issued an apology just to make life easy. I've now seen stories saying he should be sacked, hung and thrown to the wolves for saying something that you'd hear from Male golfers any day of the week.
I'd say there's a good case for sacking him, but not because of offensive remarks, simply because he's displayed a casual lack of knowledge about a subject he's paid to discuss!

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course there’s a difference, even when discussing E&D on another thread people mentioned knowing your audience.
Anyone of his stature should be aware of their social responsibilities and how things said in public can have repercussions.
I’m sure in every Clubhouse up and down the land there are males making sexist and racist comments everyday, how many of those sexist comments would be made in front of the Ladies Section is another debate though.

As for the sacking and thrown to the wolves comments, that’s the point I get wound up, if he has apologised it should be accepted and move on, if he has a history of this behaviour then that’s down to him and his employers.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Agree with Imurg. Almost daily someone famous opens their mouth and simply drops themselves into the effluent when they could have engaged brain first and avoided all the problems. He may not have known the answer to where its being played (and to be honest until I looked it up nor did I) but he could have side stepped the names of the players if he didn't know. Muppet
Unfortunately though, this is making the world an incredibly dull place and is why nearly everyone in the media is more boring than James Milner.

Haney was asked who was going to win the ladies US Open, and he basically replied 'Someone Korean'. This was his playful way of pointing out that he knows little about the ladies game, but he does know that the Koreans are dominating it.

Effectively it was a compliment towards the country of South Korea in that they keep producing very good female golfers. It wasn't racist or sexist, but people often read things how they want to and his comments were easy meat for people who want to be offended.

But as I said, unfortunately this will just mean more and more boring as *** interviews with anyone in the media.

Eddie Pepperell for example is a great guy to listen to. At some point though, he will say something that a bunch of dweebs will get upset about, and the end result is that he will stop being so interesting due to understandable self-preservation.

D

Deleted member 16999

Unfortunately though, this is making the world an incredibly dull place and is why nearly everyone in the media is more boring than James Milner.

Haney was asked who was going to win the ladies US Open, and he basically replied 'Someone Korean'. This was his playful way of pointing out that he knows little about the ladies game, but he does know that the Koreans are dominating it.

Effectively it was a compliment towards the country of South Korea in that they keep producing very good female golfers. It wasn't racist or sexist, but people often read things how they want to and his comments were easy meat for people who want to be offended.

But as I said, unfortunately this will just mean more and more boring as .... interviews with anyone in the media.

Eddie Pepperell for example is a great guy to listen to. At some point though, he will say something that a bunch of dweebs will get upset about, and the end result is that he will stop being so interesting due to understandable self-preservation.
Actual conversation:

The dialogue began with Johnson saying, “You know, this week is the U.S. Women’s Open, Hank.”

“Oh, it is,” Haney replied.

“The 74th Women’s Open.”

“I’m gonna predict a Korean,” Haney said. Johnson laughed, offering, “That’s a pretty safe bet.”

“That’s gonna be my prediction. I couldn’t name you, like, six players on the LPGA Tour,” Haney continued.

“Yeah.”

“Nah, maybe I could,” Haney said. “Well, I’d go with Lee. If I didn’t have to name a first name, I’d get a bunch of them right. I don’t know…Lexi Thompson…Michelle Wie’s hurt. I don’t know that many. Where are they playing, by the way?”

“Country Club of Charleston,” Johnson said.

“Oh, that’s a good course, that’s a good course. That’s a really good course,” Haney said. “Have you pissed anybody off yet today?”

Not quite as you put, maybe quoting correctly rather than putting your spin on it would be fairer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would you expect to be sacked for a casual lack of knowledge in whatever job it is you do?
Erm, yes? He is a golf broadcaster who hasn't done the most basic research on ladies golf. I'm just saying that's more of a reason to get rid than the fact he may have innocuously offended someone.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Actual conversation:

The dialogue began with Johnson saying, “You know, this week is the U.S. Women’s Open, Hank.”

“Oh, it is,” Haney replied.

“The 74th Women’s Open.”

“I’m gonna predict a Korean,” Haney said. Johnson laughed, offering, “That’s a pretty safe bet.”

“That’s gonna be my prediction. I couldn’t name you, like, six players on the LPGA Tour,” Haney continued.

“Yeah.”

“Nah, maybe I could,” Haney said. “Well, I’d go with Lee. If I didn’t have to name a first name, I’d get a bunch of them right. I don’t know…Lexi Thompson…Michelle Wie’s hurt. I don’t know that many. Where are they playing, by the way?”

“Country Club of Charleston,” Johnson said.

“Oh, that’s a good course, that’s a good course. That’s a really good course,” Haney said. “Have you pissed anybody off yet today?”

Not quite as you put, maybe quoting correctly rather than putting your spin on it would be fairer.
I paraphrased, which I made quite clear by my use of the word basically. Are you genuinely saying that what he said was racist?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Erm, yes? He is a golf broadcaster who hasn't done the most basic research on ladies golf. I'm just saying that's more of a reason to get rid than the fact he may have innocuously offended someone.

You would seriously expect to get sacked for giving what may have been a flippant, or serious answer, to a question at work?

You work for a hard boss 👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would seriously expect to get sacked for giving what may have been a flippant, or serious answer, to a question at work?

You work for a hard boss 👍
Probably not, but moreso for that than the perceived offensiveness which people have blown out of proportion. If it was the men's game they asked him about, and he just went "I don't know many of the players, I'm going for a yank to win it" would you think he was a good golf broadcaster?

Ultimately I couldn't care less, I don't even know who the guy is.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably not, but moreso for that than the perceived offensiveness which people have blown out of proportion. If it was the men's game they asked him about, and he just went "I don't know many of the players, I'm going for a yank to win it" would you think he was a good golf broadcaster?

Ultimately I couldn't care less, I don't even know who the guy is.

That's the right answer. He's a golf coach, I dont really care if he's good or not at broadcasting as I've rarely seen him do it. I just get pee'd off for this faux offence taken by people over nothing

D

Deleted member 16999

I paraphrased, which I made quite clear by my use of the word basically. Are you genuinely saying that what he said was racist?
Going by his apology he obviously believes he may of offended some people.

“This morning, I made some comments about women's golf and its players that were insensitive, and that I regret," Haney wrote. "In an effort to make a point about the overwhelming success of Korean players on the tour, I offended people and I am sorry. I have the highest respect for the women who have worked so hard to reach the pinnacle of their sport, and I never meant to take away from their abilities and accomplishments.

"I've worked in this game with men and women players from many different cultures, and I look forward to continuing to do so."

It’s irrelevant how I feel or what I believe about his comments, they weren’t aimed at my race or gender.

D

Deleted member 16999

That's the right answer. He's a golf coach, I dont really care if he's good or not at broadcasting as I've rarely seen him do it. I just get pee'd off for this faux offence taken by people over nothing
I agree with the sentiment Chris, but the comments were made on The Hank Haney Golf Show, which I believe he’s been doing for a few years now, it wasn’t some poor unfortunate coach getting caught out on a radio interview.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Going by his apology he obviously believes he may of offended some people.

“This morning, I made some comments about women's golf and its players that were insensitive, and that I regret," Haney wrote. "In an effort to make a point about the overwhelming success of Korean players on the tour, I offended people and I am sorry. I have the highest respect for the women who have worked so hard to reach the pinnacle of their sport, and I never meant to take away from their abilities and accomplishments.

"I've worked in this game with men and women players from many different cultures, and I look forward to continuing to do so."

It’s irrelevant how I feel or what I believe about his comments, they weren’t aimed at my race or gender.
Lol at the swerve.

As for his apology - as mentioned earlier by someone else, it means little. Highly likely to have been advised by his agent/representative to throw it out there to try and quell the flames. He regrets what he said because of the aggro, I am sure. But does he really have the 'highest respect for women who have worked hard to reach the pinnacle of their sport'? It didn't sound like it this morning and I don't his mindset has changed in the space of 1 day.

D

Deleted member 16999

Lol at the swerve.

As for his apology - as mentioned earlier by someone else, it means little. Highly likely to have been advised by his agent/representative to throw it out there to try and quell the flames. He regrets what he said because of the aggro, I am sure. But does he really have the 'highest respect for women who have worked hard to reach the pinnacle of their sport'? It didn't sound like it this morning and I don't his mindset has changed in the space of 1 day.
Why is it a swerve? Do we have to take sides? Can’t we just discuss it as adults based on facts?
You’re the one defending his words and then questioning the motives for his apology.

I’m aware of his record as a coach and the TV Series he did a few years back, I knew he had a Radio Show but didn’t know it was a daily show.

So he does a daily radio show about Golf and yet knows very little about the LPGA, sounds more like he doesn’t care about it to me and if I’m right, he’d of been far better off being ignorant and admitting what he didn’t know about the US Ladies Open being on than trying to be funny and clever, which has backfired.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My take on it all is that the only thing he should need to apologise for is the comment in regards the Asian players.

If calling a Chinese takeaway by a nickname is deemed racist, then casually saying they’re all the same is worse imo.

Should he know more about the women’s game? Probably. In fact he probably knows plenty and simply doesn’t care about it and was just trying to be funny. But imo that doesn’t make him sexist. I also don’t think he’s a massive racist. But he said something that can be deemed as such so should apologise for that. Pandering to those who think he has to rate the women’s game in his apology is imo where it goes too far. We can all agree racism is bad. But not rating a sport beciase it’s the women’s version isn’t sexist.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
My take on it all is that the only thing he should need to apologise for is the comment in regards the Asian players.

If calling a Chinese takeaway by a nickname is deemed racist, then casually saying they’re all the same is worse imo.

Should he know more about the women’s game? Probably. In fact he probably knows plenty and simply doesn’t care about it and was just trying to be funny. But imo that doesn’t make him sexist. I also don’t think he’s a massive racist. But he said something that can be deemed as such so should apologise for that. Pandering to those who think he has to rate the women’s game in his apology is imo where it goes too far. We can all agree racism is bad. But not rating a sport beciase it’s the women’s version isn’t sexist.
Or maybe he was just aware that there are a few players on tour with that surname.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Or maybe he was just aware that there are a few players on tour with that surname.

Considering he said he didn't know any players. It would be surprising if he knew how many Lees there were.....
I think it's fair to say that by that point he was simply being and flippant and made an innaprpriate joke.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Considering he said he didn't know any players. It would be surprising if he knew how many Lees there were.....
I think it's fair to say that by that point he was simply being and flippant and made an innaprpriate joke.
More likely the other way around? Saying he doesn't know any players was the flippant joke, when in fact he knows enough to know that four or five of the top players are called Lee.