Medal...I refused to sign his card.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tommo for my money you did it right, its not for you to tell a guy how to play, its for you to mark his card and when the time came you didn't lack cojones. Don't let nitwits try and wind you up. :thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So do your golf courses finish on the 16th in Hobbitland?

Is that the best you can do to justify your very weak point? :clap: :rofl:

So are we debating which hole he should have been pulled, bearing in mind Tommo had only proved the fact as he walked off the 16th green, or are you convinced there is a real Hobbitland? :rolleyes:

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is that the best you can do to justify your very weak point? :clap: :rofl:

So are we debating which hole he should have been pulled, bearing in mind Tommo had only proved the fact as he walked off the 16th green, or are you convinced there is a real Hobbitland? :rolleyes:

Surely the direct quote I mentioned earlier is clear enough... He spotted it on the 6th...

Go count your toes

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Surely the direct quote I mentioned earlier is clear enough... He spotted it on the 6th...

Go count your toes

MY words............"Anyway, off we go and all seems to be normal with the other 5HC player going along well. Then at the 6th hole I notice he replaced his ball with a visible gap, directly in line, between his one pence coin and the ball…….I never gave it a second thought..well".

I didnt see him mark it, he could have marked it with that gap, I didnt say I seen him mark it, I only said I notice how he replaced it. Read the above again.

Next....

ludders

Club Champion
www.staugustinesgolfclub.co.uk
From what I have read on hear Tommo21 handled the situation how HE saw fit whether anybody thinks it was right or wrong, he had the backing of the club captain afterwards. So why are we all being pedantic in what was said, we can take whats written out of context to the way it was written.

Tommo21 can you change this into a poll and just see if you were correct in what you done a simple yes or no is all we need that way we will get a definite answer, then again it won't change anything

By the way I am on the yes side you dealt with a situation as you see fit

END OF STORY

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not read the whole 8 pages but do have mixed feelings.

Ideally you'd have mentioned earlier in the round and not decided on the 18th not to mark his card which is quite a big deal for the chap. I appreciate you've answered that point, but you did also say that had you known the individual you'd have had a quiet word - not sure why an existing relationship would result in a quiet word vs potentially ruining the reputation of a stranger.

On the other hand, he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing and he knows it. The only additional thought / question is... what were the greens like? At this time of year they're often poor and if this chaps ball had found itselfin spike marks or small indents, then perhaps he was looking for somewhere to place his ball to benefit from a half decent initial role. IMO, this is kind of understandable.

Overall, fair play for calling it out. However, I think you should have put yourself in the right position (not checked if you found yourself in the right position) to observe earlier in the round and had a quiet word. Like I say though, fair play for calling it out...

Edit: carried on reading and saw you said you would probably call out on some you knew... probably.

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Not read the whole 8 pages but do have mixed feelings.

Ideally you'd have mentioned earlier in the round and not decided on the 18th not to mark his card which is quite a big deal for the chap. I appreciate you've answered that point, but you did also say that had you known the individual you'd have had a quiet word - not sure why an existing relationship would result in a quiet word vs potentially ruining the reputation of a stranger.

On the other hand, he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing and he knows it. The only additional thought / question is... what were the greens like? At this time of year they're often poor and if this chaps ball had found itselfin spike marks or small indents, then perhaps he was looking for somewhere to place his ball to benefit from a half decent initial role. IMO, this is kind of understandable.

Overall, fair play for calling it out. However, I think you should have put yourself in the right position (not checked if you found yourself in the right position) to observe earlier in the round and had a quiet word. Like I say though, fair play for calling it out...

Edit: carried on reading and saw you said you would probably call out on some you knew... probably.

Fair points........If I noticed a friend of mine doing it I would have a quiet word.........if I noticed a friend of mine do it in a medal it would be a word and a 2 shot penalty. If I notice something that I strongly suspected (in this case with good reason) has been doing it from the start until the point I knew for sure it was a clear rule break every time he marked the ball.....then IN MY BOOK thats different. It became clear he was doing it all the time so thats one of the reasons I waited to make sure, double sure, tripple sure, of the same patern. I was not going to sign a card that was wrong.

LETS GET SOMETHING CLEAR.........when I showed the guy what he was doing he did not refute it, he did not shake his head, he did not show me any other way he was doing it, he didn't say I was wrong, he didnt say he thought it was okay to do that. No explination what so ever. I didnt walk away from him, he had plenty oppertunity to call it different......not a peep.

This is my last word on this.........you dont get any training for this, nothing in the rule book, no seminars, nothing in the club house notice boards. Just a few people who think they have more balls than me...then good for you, golf is clearly all the better for you guys. Now go do it on a golf course while playing a medal. However, like me you could wait 40 years for your first test of courage and by that time anything that you might think you were going to do just might have changed.