Hank Haney; Muppet or funny guy

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He’s basically said on a radio show he doesn’t know where the Womens US Open is being played this week & couldn’t name a handful of LPGA players (unless he used the surname Lee)

Some hours later he’s apologised if anyone was offended and he has utmost respect (for players he couldn’t name) for womens golf

So is it just light hearted fun/japes or a reveal of a mentality of ‘if it’s not a man & it’s not the PGA Tour then it’s just not golf’

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It makes you wonder when people in the public eye (or ear) will actually engage a bit of brain power before spouting stuff like this
If he'd just stopped at "I don't know the names of anyone playing" he would have got away with it.
But I do wonder how someone like Haney can't have heard of the top women in the game unless he lives under a rock somewhere.....and his comments certainly suggest he does.
Bloke's an idiot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I agree the bloke is an idiot.
But i reckon this as been blown way out of proportion.
Is it really that bad?

I don't think the comments themselves are that bad, so if you or I said it in the clubhouse it'd rarely be seen as anything other than craic
Or maybe if he was recognised as an ammusing sports writer, folk would get it simply as a joke, which it probably was (but if so why not say that instead of apologising)

But he runs several teaching facilities to grow the game, not Open Mic nights at the comedy club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with Imurg. Almost daily someone famous opens their mouth and simply drops themselves into the effluent when they could have engaged brain first and avoided all the problems. He may not have known the answer to where its being played (and to be honest until I looked it up nor did I) but he could have side stepped the names of the players if he didn't know. Muppet

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does he need to apologise for that? I guess he was only being honest. Maybe he could have been more diplomatic in how he worded it? I've no idea who he is anyway.

D

Deleted member 21258

He’s basically said on a radio show he doesn’t know where the Womens US Open is being played this week & couldn’t name a handful of LPGA players (unless he used the surname Lee)

Some hours later he’s apologised if anyone was offended and he has utmost respect (for players he couldn’t name) for womens golf

So is it just light hearted fun/japes or a reveal of a mentality of ‘if it’s not a man & it’s not the PGA Tour then it’s just not golf’

I didn't hear it but I certainly don't read into the 'if its not a man etc', that's taking the comment to an extreme and assuming so much.

I just read that as he doesn't know any women golfer and he doesn't know where the us open is for them, that's okay he can follow whatever he likes. Probably not something I would say but depends on what the question was, to be fair to him;) No one tells me I must watch football or darts and so on.

I don't like the comment about 'surname lee', totally uncalled for and something I would ever wish to say.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

It's hugely disrespectful. Especially if you are going to make money doing a broadcast golf show.

Either learn about it or don't talk about it.

Clearly the guy is completely tone deaf.

The fact that he made a name for himself coaching Tiger and then wrote a warts and all account tells you all you need to know about the lack of class the guy has.

D

Deleted member 16999

Life is getting so difficult these days, nothing can be said jokingly or honestly as people are professionally offended so easily
Come on Chris, if life is so difficult these days then there is even less of an excuse for him to say it.
He’s apologised, better to recognise the fact he accepted he was in the wrong than once again take the easy option of blaming the professionally offended.
Matter should now be closed.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Be
Come on Chris, if life is so difficult these days then there is even less of an excuse for him to say it.
He’s apologised, better to recognise the fact he accepted he was in the wrong than once again take the easy option of blaming the professionally offended.
but that’s what they are,a bunch of whiny little ball bags.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Paul please understand that I never opened the matter but the fact that someone says something, and then has to apologise, is likely to mean his apology is only to appease to professionally offended and not because he's really sorry!

D

Deleted member 16999

Paul please understand that I never opened the matter but the fact that someone says something, and then has to apologise, is likely to mean his apology is only to appease to professionally offended and not because he's really sorry!
It’s not the “professionally offended” though is it, the ones taken offence are the LPGA Tour players his sexist/racist comments were aimed at.
Sometimes, just sometimes, the person making the comment is simply in the wrong and the comments are offensive.
People(not all) will jump to Hainey’s defence using the professionally offended comeback to defend him rather than looking at what he said or (as this thread proves) without even knowing who he is.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Is it racist?
How many Lee’s are on tour?

I’m sure I heard one of them say that they put a number after their surname to identify which Lee it is on the score board.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s not the “professionally offended” though is it, the ones taken offence are the LPGA Tour players his sexist/racist comments were aimed at.
Sometimes, just sometimes, the person making the comment is simply in the wrong and the comments are offensive.
People(not all) will jump to Hainey’s defence using the professionally offended comeback to defend him rather than looking at what he said or (as this thread proves) without even knowing who he is.

I bet you've said worse, I know I have

D

Deleted member 16999

I bet you've said worse, I know I have
Of course we have, but I’m not and I don’t think you are in the public eye in a position of influence with a listening audience of potentially millions.
Like I said before, he’s apologised, people should move on, but then we get the people questioning his reason for the apology(not you)