Handicap Secs - Pre-Reg Supp Card pre and post WHS

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks

In the first bold sentence above, that effectively answers my question, except I am unsure England Golf would recommend this (although, if they include it in the WHS manual, problem solved)

In the second bold sentence above, if the new result changes the winners after competition closed first time, will this have a big issue? I suspect not, if terms of competition state competition closed after trophy has been awarded (which could be months away at prize giving), given the wording of 5A (7) in Rules of Golf

We have to open, amend and close our competitions occasionally to produce a new result. E.g. a few weeks ago one player was shown on the bottom of the result as N/A due to lack of handicap. When I checked with him a few days later turned out to be a Country Member with a CDH number, with another home club and he went from N/A to 1st place.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You credit your pro shop staff with more nowse than I would ours. I am somewhat confused though how this could happen in competitions surely you have a record of start times in competitions and the software records both sign in and score posted, so you should easily be able to nip that in the bud. You might also want to warn your members that you would seek legal proceedings against anyone committing fraud in this way.

Legal proceedings? Aye, OK ??

Yes the system records sign in times and score entry times. In real life, like most golf clubs I presume, the start sheet doesn't always reflect who actually plays a comp and when they tee off e.g. late withdrawals, other players taking their place etc. We also have Wednesday medals where the tee is not reserved for the competition so there is the tee booking sheet but no indication on the booking whether you are playing in the comp or not.

The issue started when we stopped signing in and paying £3 in the pro shop and moved to signing in via the computer terminal on HDID and paying the £3 that way. Initial issues with terminals not working, sign in not being available, not deducting the correct comp fees, two's entry money etc. All the stuff you would expect but this also made members aware that it was possible to sign in after a comp instead of before.

Then with Covid-19, comps restarted while the clubhouse was closed so members were encouraged to sign in for comps and enter scores on their own mobile devices.

If I use myself as an example, I signed in after I played instead of before on 2 occasions as the comp wasn't set up properly on HDID to allow sign in during the initial switch over. Since Covid-19, I played in 1 Wednesday medal but forgot to sign in beforehand and didn't realise till I was finished and went to put my score in. No probs, signed in then entered my score straight afterwards.

I'm not a cheat, never have been and never will be. I only responded to your comment that the new process is far better than a book based system for Supplementary scores. IMO it's absolutely not. It's wide open to be abused in ways that a properly run and administered book based system is not.

But it's just my opinion, you are free to hold a differnet one ??