Acceptable General Play scores considered as pre-registered

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the early days of WHS I seem to recall EngGolf saying that 'social' or 'away-day' rounds that are played under acceptable conditions within the Club or in close association (ie. a Club away-day etc) then pre-registration is assumed so that scores can be returned without each requiring a specific pre-registration being made.
Does this still apply? And if so where can I find a reference to it?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In Guidance on the WHS Rules of Handicapping as applied within GB&I

G2.1a (1) Authorized Formats of Play

The authorized formats of play that are acceptable for handicap purposes within GB&I are broadly the same as under the CONGU® system. Other countries in the world may have a narrower or wider range of acceptable formats.
It is a requirement in GB&I that players pre-register on the day if they wish their scores to be used for handicapping purposes both for competitions and for General Play. Clubs will need to have procedures in place for this, and with increasing computerization of handicapping they may find that their software will have an inbuilt pre-registration facility.
WHS requires that rounds in ‘organized competitions’ in an acceptable format are considered to have been pre-registered. This raises the question as to what comprises an ‘organized competition’? The term is broader than would previously have been considered by most clubs and players. Under WHS, for example, regular informal competitions, often organized as roll-ups or society events, would now fall into this category. Players have a responsibility to ensure that their scores from such events are returned to their home clubs.
Clubs that regularly hold such events may well find that setting them up as competitions on the computer will make it easier for players to ensure that their scores are returned correctly.

D-S

Visit site
Equally the guidance says:-
In GB&l each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes (other than those used for the Initial Handicap Award) must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In GB&l each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes (other than those used for the Initial Handicap Award) must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee.
Interestingly, at a recent County Handicap event we were told that initial cards for handicap must be pre-registered. Not sure if you can do this on HDID if you don't have a handicap!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes. Missed that as it was on the next page.
G2.1a (2) Pre-Registration Prior To Play

AJNairn

Visit site
Interestingly, at a recent County Handicap event we were told that initial cards for handicap must be pre-registered. Not sure if you can do this on HDID if you don't have a handicap!
I expect the exception was to cover the 'for handicap' chicken/egg case, maybe historic and superseded by the process in rosecott's post.

Last edited: