Handicap question

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
'General play' is the only chance I have of a handicap as I don't play competitions. Having said that I would be quite happy for this demarcation to be indicated on my HC cert.

The only reason I need an HC in my circumstances is if I want to play at another club either in the UK or abroad that requires one or the odd time that I play in a group where we may like to pit ourselves in a light-hearted competition (and of course- to get an indication of my standard of play)

The world of roll-ups, club competitions et al is a side of golf I haven't really got into as all the rhetoric both here and at club level suggests it's all taken a bit too seriously for my liking.

bill

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The reason why golf is such a great game is due to handicaps as if applied properly anyone can play anyone and have a good game - I managed to play with David Howell one day (we happened to be on the putting green at the same time with nothing to do!) - he played me off +6 and gave me 11 shots....I lost unsuprisingly but only on the 17th (and because he couldn't miss from under 30ft!!)....my gripe is with clubs like reals that 'can't be bothered' to allow people to get an 'accurate' handicap and so they go round in ridiculous scores...

There used to be a O2 competition in Ireland (or is there still) - 4BBB format on really good courses, there was a qualifier in every county (32?) and you could play as many times as you wanted to qualify for the final in Portugal....you needed 48+ points plus though to get anywhere near....the boys that won the final played in a qualifier and walked off after 16 holes as it was dark with 44 points!!! Thankfully though the GUI did a of investigating into the handicaps at the club because of them and some others at their club.

As in a a previous thread - the main rule in golf is do what is fair - the same should be said for handicaps - do what is fair....for everybody and then the 'best' golfer will win based on the handicap system.....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
As in a a previous thread - the main rule in golf is do what is fair - the same should be said for handicaps - do what is fair....for everybody and then the 'best' golfer will win based on the handicap system.....

Here, here!

Good story about Howell b.t.w.