Handicap of Plus Seven!

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Was watching the British Masters the other day & I'm sure I heard that the young lad Jordan, I think he plays out of Hoylake, had a handicap of Plus 7 before turning pro. Now how does that work? I mean what happens if you enter a monthly Stableford competition, how is your handicap allowance sorted? I assume that you would have to actually have a minus allowance & have to birdie the seven weakest holes on the course just to make Par? Mad isnt it, obviously its something most of us wont ever have to worry about but it just crossed my mind how this is done. Christ Golf is hard enough without that kind of handicap!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Was watching the British Masters the other day & I'm sure I heard that the young lad Jordan, I think he plays out of Hoylake, had a handicap of Plus 7 before turning pro. Now how does that work? I mean what happens if you enter a monthly Stableford competition, how is your handicap allowance sorted? I assume that you would have to actually have a minus allowance & have to birdie the seven weakest holes on the course just to make Par? Mad isnt it, obviously its something most of us wont ever have to worry about but it just crossed my mind how this is done. Christ Golf is hard enough without that kind of handicap!

that would be the case.

In fairness, pros average under par over a season in tournament conditions.

Round a members course (set up for amateurs) they would probably see almost every hole as a birdie chance and will be shooting in the low 60s and even 50s most times they go out.

I know Holyoke is an Open venue, but I'd guess that the rest of the time it will be a bit shorter and generally play much easier for amateurs than in the years they host the Open.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jordan rarely played in any events at hoylake. Once you’re that low you only play in the elite amateur events. CSS in these events is ridiculously high. As an example he won the 2018 lytham trophy by 9 shots

Off+6 he got cut -

.3 first round
.1 second round
Buffer 3rd
.4 3rd round

Css was 76 every round (par 70)

In essence, once your handicap is that low is means nothing. Just a figure to get you into the biggest events.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If he's good enough to get to a +7 'cap, then he should have no real issue about playing to it! Not really any different from any low handicap really!

That is, however, the lowest handicap I've heard of (though I haven't ever gone looking). About +5 seems to be fairly norrmal for what most of the European Tour players I've noticed turned Pro off.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My playing partner has a handicap of +3 and was recently +4. What's scary is he gets battered by the field when he played elite amateur events

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Impressive that is ,there was a lad in my current club who had a handicap of +3 he moved to a different club with better set up and is currently playing off +5 he’s turning pro next year I’m sure someone said he’s one of the highest ranked amateurs in the country at the moment and has qualified for a possible pick in the next walker cup team not bad for a young lad who’s comes from a small welsh village

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At one time the lowest handicap player at our club said he only went in to the comps to win 2's money because he knew he had no chance in a handicap comp.

He also won a lot from best gross.

D

Deleted member 3432

Ist win on Challenge Tour for Matthew Jordan today.

Looks like he is making a good start to the transition to the pro game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
One of ours turned pro off plus 5. Couldn't hack it on tour though. Kept his card for a couple of years, and then pretty much quit.

One of our 20 somethings off scratch hit 14 birdies today. Including all the back 9. Pairs comp. 4bbb, 50 points. Stunning golf.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rumour has it there's a +4 guy plays in quite a few Golf Scotland Texas Scramble events, usually always wins the longest drive :devilish: .
Texas scramble allowance is 10% of the joint handicaps, seemingly his 4 man team play of + 7, :eek: .
I stand to be corrected :p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a couple of + golfers and they struggle even in the bigger amateur events given the quality of the field these days and neither has any illusions of being a tour player. The guy I am going to keep an eye on is Conor Gough who won the British Boys and played in the British Masters at Hillside. One of our members is his PE teacher and reckons he would be good enough to get footie trials or play cricket to a decent level too. He has an older brother who has now gone to the US on a golf scholarship and the teacher reckons is better than Conor.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I've mentioned this before but I've played with a lad who turned pro off +6 and he was just different gravy. So long and straight with his driver I've never seen anything like it. Pretty much had a look for birdie on every hole and hit every par 5 green in 2. He shot 6 under on the day and didn't really look like he got out of 3rd gear. He's now playing Challenge Tour and EuroPro and is struggling to keep up.

It's truly frightening how good you have to be nowadays to make it on Tour.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
We've got a young lad dropping really quick, last time I looked I think he was off +1 and still winning comps with 40 points, not played with him yet but he seems to be in the sixties every time he plays.