Handicap Committee / Club Secretary

Swango1980

Visit site
Just had a closer read through the thread.

He shot 8 under handicap, and got cut 5. And he’s had a number of wins and places in other comps.

I’d say the system is definitely at fault. For someone to win etc so often, and continue to do so, I’d say the system has let other members down by not cutting him better previously.

No sympathy at all. My first handicap was 18, a week later it was 14, and the week after that it was 12. Loved it, and I was ecstatic.
System is perfect in every way. Every single detail has been finely calibrated based on the analysis on millions and millions of scores. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just had a closer read through the thread.

He shot 8 under handicap, and got cut 5. And he’s had a number of wins and places in other comps.

I’d say the system is definitely at fault. For someone to win etc so often, and continue to do so, I’d say the system has let other members down by not cutting him better previously.

No sympathy at all. My first handicap was 18, a week later it was 14, and the week after that it was 12. Loved it, and I was ecstatic.
Same here, first handicap was 24, was down to 12 6 weeks later. Strived to improve and never once worried I couldn't win,just enjoyed playing

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good read. My take on this would be that the handicap committee should call the fella in and discuss the situation with him, and anyone else in the same situation, and explain to them why they are going to take such extreme measures. And I might add, that he should be chuffed to bits. If he feels that it is a problem, and in this case it would seem to be, he could argue against the decision and a compromise could be made so that everyone is happy.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If he feels that it is a problem, and in this case it would seem to be, he could argue against the decision and a compromise could be made so that everyone is happy.
A good handicap committee will not do that. Handicaps are not for negotiation, and opening that can of worms must be avoided. So he can listen to their explanation for the change, hopefully understand it, and make his case if he thinks they have made a mistake. But the committee should be able to stand behind their decision or admit an error if one was made, but not back down just to satisfy a member. If still unhappy he can write to EG, who will validate the reasoning of the committee. It isnt a question of being happy, its a question of the handicap being correct and fair to both the member and all other golfers.

Swango1980

Visit site
A good handicap committee will not do that. Handicaps are not for negotiation, and opening that can of worms must be avoided. So he can listen to their explanation for the change, hopefully understand it, and make his case if he thinks they have made a mistake. But the committee should be able to stand behind their decision or admit an error if one was made, but not back down just to satisfy a member. If still unhappy he can write to EG, who will validate the reasoning of the committee. It isnt a question of being happy, its a question of the handicap being correct and fair to both the member and all other golfers.
Agree with all that although if it gets to the stage of going beyond the club, the county union would be the first contact before the national one.

You hope the handicap Committee have made a fair decision and thus they will be able to fully defend their decision. However, sometimes you can get a rogue handicap secretary who likes to do things their way. You hope they'd have a good handicap Committee around them, but in practice that may not be the case.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
County first, yes, that's quite right.(y)

The main thing is not to get into compromising. Unless there is a procedural error, the committee cannot just change their decision because the member has a different opinion to them. If the member can point out a clear mistake, then they must make a correction. If its just a matter of opinion then then they should explain their view, and as the authority, leave it at that. They must stick with their own rather than appease just to avoid conflict.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way as it's genuinely not intended as that but i find this incredible, you say he has won the winter league and a few other medals but now because he has been cut he's not enjoying it.
Compare with me as an example, been a member of the same club for over 40 years h'cap never lower than 5 never more than 7 and have won 1 competition
I would be telling him to just get on with it tbh he's obviously improved and should be trying his best to play at that level again, it's not all about winning trophies, although going by some of the stuff on here I do wonder sometimes (again I'm not getting at you or your mate honestly !)

Not sure about others but I like to be competitive.

If I was playing under a handicap that would restrict me to being anywhere near it then I’d quickly fall out of love with the comps and would only play the general play rounds with my friends. That’s just me.

I’ve never seen a stableford score higher than 45 and the lowest nett score I’ve seen was 61 by a young kid only the other week. Before that it was 64.

Our club seems to be pretty good in this respect. I haven’t been around long enough to paint a big enough picture but for my PP’s situation it almost seems as though the committee have their own rules in place.

wjemather

Visit site

If I was playing under a handicap that would restrict me to being anywhere near it then I’d quickly fall out of love with the comps and would only play the general play rounds with my friends. That’s just me.
Not just you. We have seen many players return to playing competitions having previously been handicapped out of them by the failings of the old system which left them hopelessly anchored to past performances. If we, as the handicap committee, took it upon ourselves to unjustifiably reduce handicaps, there is no doubt that progress would be quickly reversed.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

If I was playing under a handicap that would restrict me to being anywhere near it

It depends what you mean by competitive though. And being uncompetitive will never happen for more than a few rounds at worst. WHS tracks your handicap very responsively, so you will always be competitive or there abouts.

I am always competitive. Every time I play. Even if beaten by 10 shots. But know that given we have 90-120 players for our weekend competitions, I will likely break into the top 3 about once a year, and win once every 3 or 4 years. Which is what happens for the 30 or so times I compete in single each year.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
It depends what you mean by competitive though. And being uncompetitive will never happen for more than a few rounds at worst. WHS tracks your handicap very responsively, so you will always be competitive or there abouts.

I am always competitive. Every time I play. Even if beaten by 10 shots. But know that given we have 90-120 players for our weekend competitions, I will likely break into the top 3 about once a year, and win once every 3 or 4 years. Which is what happens for the 30 or so times I compete in single each year.

Same. But if I’m was playing under a HC where I’m struggling to break even the top 10 on my best day then that would be the story of PP.

His has levelled out slightly but only because he’s had 10 rounds since.

My HC sits at a level where I am competitive so I have no issues whatsoever. Shot 30 stableford points yesterday and I was happy with it as played a below average round

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Same. But if I’m was playing under a HC where I’m struggling to break even the top 10 on my best day then that would be the story of PP.

His best day though will only happen about once in a hundred rounds. So he would have to have played a lot of competitions, or a couple of years worth at least, to conclude that one of those has been his best round, yet didnt break into the top 10.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
His best day though will only happen about once in a hundred rounds. So he would have to have played a lot of competitions, or a couple of years worth at least, to conclude that one of those has been his best round, yet didnt break into the top 10.

Our stablefords / medals normally win with around 42 / nett 67 so if he shot if he shot his best (81) on those days with his deducted HC it wouldn’t even scratch the surface

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Our stablefords / medals normally win with around 42 / nett 67 so if he shot if he shot his best (81) on those days with his deducted HC it wouldn’t even scratch the surface
His best from how many rounds ? Most dont realise how rarely they will shoot their best. And if playing enough, then the hc will have climbed. You cant possibly put in enoiugh cards to decide your best cant compete without the hc rising. The two meet in the middle fairly quickly.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
His best from how many rounds ? Most dont realise how rarely they will shoot their best. And if playing enough, then the hc will have climbed. You cant possibly put in enoiugh cards to decide your best cant compete without the hc rising. The two meet in the middle fairly quickly.

his best of said 82 in that stableford was from around 60 comp cards and I would say well over 100 general play rounds. It was his best round of his life. Not likely to repeat this year