GP Scores in HC record

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bragging rights and opportunity to play good courses cheaply

Play with one occasionally. I'm linked to him on the App. A spooky number of 9 hole scores, all below the average. Very few in club comps, most of which are miles above his average.

I know his name come up at committee. I assume they are more focused on the other end of the cheating horizon.

Simple fact. Lower the scrutiny on any process, you increase the likelihood of non conformity.

D

Deleted member 23270

I think the issue here is that PCC doesn't work and that is being looked at. I play national level events and courses are quite often set up tough. Scores are invariably higher than those posted by playing your home course so it's natural that people will put in general play cards at their home course to keep their handicap down. If PCC worked away scores wouldn't look so bad on your handicap record.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the issue here is that PCC doesn't work and that is being looked at. I play national level events and courses are quite often set up tough. Scores are invariably higher than those posted by playing your home course so it's natural that people will put in general play cards at their home course to keep their handicap down. If PCC worked away scores wouldn't look so bad on your handicap record.

The PCC algorithm changed a few months ago, and is live. It does come into a play a bit more now…I know someone who plays a LOT of scratch opens, and it does move. I don’t think you can blame PCC for anything, personally

wjemather

Visit site
PCC isn't ever going to turn a 90 into a 75.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Play with one occasionally. I'm linked to him on the App. A spooky number of 9 hole scores, all below the average. Very few in club comps, most of which are miles above his average.

I know his name come up at committee. I assume they are more focused on the other end of the cheating horizon.

Simple fact. Lower the scrutiny on any process, you increase the likelihood of non conformity.
Yes this looks like a problem in the flagship elite events.
So it’s more or less admitting there is a problem.
But it’s across the board ,it’s just wide open goal if your a cheat.

wjemather

Visit site
Nobody is suggesting that but it could turn a 76 on a windy links into a 74.
But 76 is more than likely going to be within many (if not most) players' expected scoring range - mean average scoring for scratch players is 3-4 over (nett) CR, which in these events is commonly higher than 72. Scoring would need to be significantly worse than that across the field to justify moving PCC.

D

Deleted member 23270

But 76 is more than likely going to be within many (if not most) players' expected scoring range - mean average scoring for scratch players is 3-4 over (nett) CR, which in these events is commonly higher than 72. Scoring would need to be significantly worse than that across the field to justify moving PCC.
I just gave a random example.

Ian_George

Visit site
If golf is renowned for its integrity, then why is geo fencing needed in the EG App?
I don't see any connection between geo-fencing of an App and the integrity of an App's subject! Do you?
However, your comment made me smile, as it reminded me of some scenes from Fawlty Towers!

Ian_George

Visit site
Yes, hence my post.
Why? To me it's simply a case of 'relevance'! English residents having a different 'status' to Scots ones for EG App and vice versa. Not so much geo-fencing as geo-relevance! Or is my memory of the situation faulty (or out of date)? If you explain what YOU mean by geo-fencing of the App(s), it might help tpp.

D-S

Visit site
Why? To me it's simply a case of 'relevance'! English residents having a different 'status' to Scots ones for EG App and vice versa. Not so much geo-fencing as geo-relevance! Or is my memory of the situation faulty (or out of date)? If you explain what YOU mean by geo-fencing of the App(s), it might help tpp.

if you don’t trust players (who are supposedly renowned for their integrity) enough and need to set up technology to ensure that players are at where they say they are and also have to be there long enough to ‘prove’ they played the round they post, then by definition you are not relying on their integrity.

Ian_George

Visit site
if you don’t trust players (who are supposedly renowned for their integrity) enough and need to set up technology to ensure that players are at where they say they are and also have to be there long enough to ‘prove’ they played the round they post, then by definition you are not relying on their integrity.
I don't believe it's a 'trust' issue! Rather, it's an 'administration' one!

D-S

Visit site
I don't believe it's a 'trust' issue! Rather, it's an 'administration' one!
Believe what you want but if you trust golfers (due to their renowned integrity) you don’t need to have them, via technology, demonstrate where and for how long they have been somewhere before accepting/trusting their score. This is not an administrative issue, it is there to prevent cheating (and rightly so).

Ian_George

Visit site
Believe what you want but if you trust golfers (due to their renowned integrity) you don’t need to have them, via technology, demonstrate where and for how long they have been somewhere before accepting/trusting their score. This is not an administrative issue, it is there to prevent cheating (and rightly so).
Please explain how it does that. Or, at least, what cheating it prevents.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I am nowhere near a course. I enter a card witha bad score for that course. A friend attests it. My handicap increases.
Does it happen? Who knows, but EGU thought it would and so prevent it from happening by having a geographical restriction.

D-S

Visit site
It prevents players simply entering scores via the EG App when they haven’t even visited the location of the course where they have purported to play at (I am surprised that you aren’t aware of that if you have any WHS knowledge). This prevents false, non existent scores being posted on the portal - clearly cheating to falsify their handicap.
I suspect though that you are aware of this and are merely trolling and so will stop feeding you now.