GP Scores in HC record

D-S

Visit site
I understand that EG are proposing to have the right to refuse entry to their scratch championships, where handicap ballots allow entry, of players with more than 4 GP scores in their most recent 20 record.
This will not mean that they will automatically refuse entry just that they will compare the 5+ GP scores to the players competition scores to ensure that their HI represents their ability.
An interesting move that may be copied by counties in balloted events and maybe throws some light (or shade) on the veracity of some GP scores.

wjemather

Visit site
Sounds like they'll simply be looking for evidence of potential abuse, and acting where necessary. Nothing more.

Of course, there will doubtless be people who want to read much more into it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
How many people are actually cheating to get a vanity HI just to play in scratch opens?

Why not just politely refuse entry to someone who shoots a high score from future events for a period of time?

D-S

Visit site
How many people are actually cheating to get a vanity HI just to play in scratch opens?

Why not just politely refuse entry to someone who shoots a high score from future events for a period of time?
I assume enough for EG to go to the trouble of changing their terms of entry to championships and informing previous entrants of the fact, as well as publicising it. Also to have to run reports of all those with 5+ and run reports and compare GP versus Competition Scores and to rule on each case. So probably quite a few.

wjemather

Visit site
Very few, but it does happen. It's over 10 years ago now, but I know of one individual who was "asked to leave" (more than one club) for various misdemeanours while trying to keep their handicap low so they would get in top level amateur events. However, such people are just as likely to miscount/doctor their score, prefer/improve their lie, "find" a lost/OB ball 30 yards away from where it went, or otherwise break the rules in a comp, as they are post questionable GP scores.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assume, in the backend of the system, it shows whether a card is General Play...otherwise how is it going to be policed?

Also, at what date is the decision made? At ballot stage, or at entry to competition?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pre WHS We had one player at our club who never played in any club comps and all the scores on his record came from playing in big national events. When the annual review came round we revised his handicap based upon the scores he was getting in those ( not even good enough for a mid handicap player) - he never got to play in them again.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think its a great idea, I could get down to scratch in 2 weeks with very little effort and not a foot stepped onto the course.

That should never be allowed and has to be controlled somehow.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think its a great idea, I could get down to scratch in 2 weeks with very little effort and not a foot stepped onto the course.

Pretty sure thats not allowed already ?
;)

Ian_George

Visit site
I assume enough for EG to go to the trouble of changing their terms of entry to championships and informing previous entrants of the fact, as well as publicising it. Also to have to run reports of all those with 5+ and run reports and compare GP versus Competition Scores and to rule on each case. So probably quite a few.
A single report will do that!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Except it's not being cntrolled, they're simply saying there's a couple of events you won;t get to enter, otherwise crack on

D-S

Visit site
A single report will do that!
Actually no - EG have commissioned one report to highlight all entrants with 5 and above GP inthe or record, then they will use the existing GP versus Competition Score report. They have then set up a committee to look at each case and adjudicate on players demonstrated ability. So its not a matter of running one simple report as each case will be different in terms of % of GP vs. Competition scores as well as the varying values of each data set, they will send decide to accept or not the entry.

Ian_George

Visit site
Actually no - EG have commissioned one report to highlight all entrants with 5 and above GP inthe or record, then they will use the existing GP versus Competition Score report. They have then set up a committee to look at each case and adjudicate on players demonstrated ability. So its not a matter of running one simple report as each case will be different in terms of % of GP vs. Competition scores as well as the varying values of each data set, they will send decide to accept or not the entry.
I'm sure they could do that in a single report! But the fact that there is already a report that provides much of the info required probably makes the overall process simpler - or thy haven't consulted their IT section! Doesn't seem a particularly onerous task imo!

D-S

Visit site
I'm sure they could do that in a single report! But the fact that there is already a report that provides much of the info required probably makes the overall process simpler - or thy haven't consulted their IT section! Doesn't seem a particularly onerous task imo!
I am sure your opinion will be valued by the Championship Committee.

Ian_George

Visit site
I am sure your opinion will be valued by the Championship Committee.
Doesn't worry me either way! But seems a fairly typical manual analysis exercise cross-referencing existing reports that could actually be achieved by a single SQL query (something I've used since the early '80s)!