Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Realising I still can't hit 3 wood very well. Done a Trackman session tonight to put the Paradym X 3HL wood up against my old Cobra F9 5 wood. Yes I can hit the 3 wood ten yards further - I can also fade it more and fat it more often as well. At first glance it felt like a real dilemma but when I sit here looking at the numbers, it's probably not worth keeping the 3 in the bag overall. It's just less consistent. At the end of the day, it's hard to replace a fairway wood that has that comfort of having hit it a thousand* times.

*I've just thrown a number out here, but that's got me thinking as well, I wonder if I have hit it a thousand times or way less/more?? I have no idea. 😂

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The only fair way to play a scramble is to have a drop-out, ie. the player whose ball you select doesn't play the next shot. I think it's called a Florida Scramble?
Totally takes the fun out of the format though.

I think things have improved since the introduction of different percentages. Lessens the advantage of 3 low players putting a high handicapper in their team.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
When it's 10.30pm and Sky are still apologising for swearing from the golfers. Really, who cares?

This is mentioned a lot in relation to live sports coverage, and I’m sure I’ve read/heard somewhere that broadcasters are obliged under Ofcom rules to apologise for any swearing overheard during live broadcasts. Failure to do so can result in a very hefty fine.

And I also understand that any “watershed” rules don’t apply to live broadcasts.

sjw

Visit site
This is mentioned a lot in relation to live sports coverage, and I’m sure I’ve read/heard somewhere that broadcasters are obliged under Ofcom rules to apologise for any swearing overheard during live broadcasts. Failure to do so can result in a very hefty fine.

And I also understand that any “watershed” rules don’t apply to live broadcasts.
Complaints received that late at night over something so small should be thrown out. It's pathetic.

PaulMdj

Visit site
When it's 10.30pm and Sky are still apologising for swearing from the golfers. Really, who cares?
Because more often than not it is repeated during the day and you can also record and watch it on playback at your convenience during the day.

Broadcasters are just covering their backs.👍🏻

sjw

Visit site
Because more often than not it is repeated during the day and you can also record and watch it on playback at your convenience during the day.

Broadcasters are just covering their backs.👍🏻

If someone complains in that scenario, they should be put down!

PaulMdj

Visit site
If someone complains in that scenario, they should be put down!
You’re missing the point! As I and others have said, it’s the broadcaster covering their back!

A Sports Bar records it, next day they are showing it and families may or may not be in the place having lunch, the Bar may not know there is bad language, the broadcaster apologies, all is good.🤷‍♂️

Edit: Or maybe Sky is broadcasting live in another Country were the time difference is day time or pre-watershed viewing.👍🏻

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Years ago I was watching the first day of the open in the middle of the afternoon.
McGinley played a shot from the fairway and the on-course mike picked up a very loud eff-word as his ball missed the green by miles.
Peter Alliss, as cool as you like, said immediately, "Ah, something in Gaelic, I believe. Roughly translates as ease-off-with-the-right-hand-a-little."
I'm sure I heard his co-presenter fall off his chair.
There was no apology by BBC2.

sjw

Visit site
You’re missing the point! As I and others have said, it’s the broadcaster covering their back!

A Sports Bar records it, next day they are showing it and families may or may not be in the place having lunch, the Bar may not know there is bad language, the broadcaster apologies, all is good.🤷‍♂️

Edit: Or maybe Sky is broadcasting live in another Country were the time difference is day time or pre-watershed viewing.👍🏻
Getting off topic, but I'm not missing the point at all. Maybe I was unclear, but my irritation is not with the broadcasters and their apology but the fact that they have to. Such a soft world that we live in that people will complain about that.

Your edit is a good point though (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Years ago I was watching the first day of the open in the middle of the afternoon.
McGinley played a shot from the fairway and the on-course mike picked up a very loud eff-word as his ball missed the green by miles.
Peter Alliss, as cool as you like, said immediately, "Ah, something in Gaelic, I believe. Roughly translates as ease-off-with-the-right-hand-a-little."
I'm sure I heard his co-presenter fall off his chair.
There was no apology by BBC2.
I think there was less pressure on the broadcaster to have to apologise. If people had been offended they would have rung the BBC switchboard to complain or written to Points of View

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think there was less pressure on the broadcaster to have to apologise. If people had been offended they would have rung the BBC switchboard to complain or written to Points of View
Yes, pointless to apologise for a live broadcast - you get what you get.
The person to complain to would have been McGinley.
But I suppose the BBC could have promised to pass on those complaints to him.