Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Texas scramble HC allowances and their made up formula sucking the life out of the enjoyment of them

Played two recently, one used 10% the other used the 4 diff %’s. I didn’t win in either so they both work pretty rubbish

As an aside, I wonder if the time spent working out what % to tell us to apply (old or new formula) took into account minimum drives and fundraising mulligans! ;)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Company was good and it’s not just about winning , it’s about having a chance at least

When a team has 15 shots that means we needed to be 13 under par to even catch up- its a joke
I assume you were all low h/cs , if you played with a mid and a really high h/c and got a decent h/c you would have had a good chance of winning.

I rarely play T/S anymore as at my club there’s always a few low guys with 20+ h/cs in their team which leaves rest of field with no chance of winning.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I assume you were all low h/cs , if you played with a mid and a really high h/c and got a decent h/c you would have had a good chance of winning.

I rarely play T/S anymore as at my club there’s always a few low guys with 20+ h/cs in their team which leaves rest of field with no chance of winning.

2 below 5 , 1 below 10 and one below 20

All our T/S are now won by groups of 15 HC and above

It’s the first time in years that there were gaps in the comps because people didn’t want to play in them anymore

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
2 below 5 , 1 below 10 and one below 20

All our T/S are now won by groups of 15 HC and above

It’s the first time in years that there were gaps in the comps because people didn’t want to play in them anymore
I can understand why there’s waning interest, 15 h/c and above never win at my club.

Always a low player that has a high h/c in the team.

Last year I played our team was made up of 3 mid h/cs -14-22. Our h/c was only 2 shots more than the team with the low h/c in.

T/S is supposed to be just a bit of fun but like you standing on the first tee and knowing you have no chance of competing is no fun.

sjw

Visit site
Three days off work and playing less than I would do on a normal weekend. Yes, that's up to me, but when I did play the wind made it no fun at all and I shot about +20 thru 9 with four lost balls!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I can understand why there’s waning interest, 15 h/c and above never win at my club.

Always a low player that has a high h/c in the team.

Last year I played our team was made up of 3 mid h/cs -14-22. Our h/c was only 2 shots more than the team with the low h/c in.

T/S is supposed to be just a bit of fun but like you standing on the first tee and knowing you have no chance of competing is no fun.
The only fair way to play a scramble is to have a drop-out, ie. the player whose ball you select doesn't play the next shot. I think it's called a Florida Scramble?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only fair way to play a scramble is to have a drop-out, ie. the player whose ball you select doesn't play the next shot. I think it's called a Florida Scramble?
That's what we had the other day at GD, plus you had to use at least 4 tee shots from each player. Levels it up a little bit.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

We do need to change things as little

The drop out is good as is the par 3 wherw across the par 3’s you can only have one tee shot each

So on the first par 3 all four go

Then the next just 3 with the person who’s tee shot you took on the last not allowed to tee off etc until you have just one person teeing off

NearHull

Visit site
We do need to change things as little

The drop out is good as is the par 3 wherw across the par 3’s you can only have one tee shot each

So on the first par 3 all four go

Then the next just 3 with the person who’s tee shot you took on the last not allowed to tee off etc until you have just one person teeing off
I played in that format a few weeks ago and ended up as the the only tee shot on the last par three - pressure. A slight miss hit fortunately got me a slightly thinned position a couple of yards to the right of the green, we managed a par. Phew!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I can categorically state that I have never stood on the first tee of a scramble and fretted about our handicaps, other teams handicaps and consequently our chances of winning.

In my head, the first objective is to have some fun. The second objective as always is to try to play some decent golf, however I can't really control that aspect of my own game and as for doing it for three others, impossible!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing a medal on Saturday in 4.5 hours of persistent and heavy rain and two poor drives costing me a 7 and an 8 on par 4's that added to a net 80. Without those it would have been a decent score in the conditions

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gave the new HL 3 wood a proper go on the range. Slicing it just as much as driver. That's pointless then. Back to the 5 wood for this Sunday's foursomes final.

Visit site
We did a Texas scramble on the original course/hole layout yesterday.

Had to use 4 drives from each player, and whoever’s shot you selected could not then play the next shot (unless on the green)

Our team shot a gross 59, nett 58… But no good for any prizes. Not that it particularly bothered us… It’s a bit of fun 🙌