Golf Random Irritations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I dunno but the frustration of not being as good as I was has really depressed me. I wondered if it was like losing distance but I think it is far worse .. you look at the heavens and the phrase what the f@&k was that as the ball goes no where intended.
I watch “good” players and think, I’d have you .. but is that arrogance? Or just a rose tinted memory.. I don’t know, I ask what have I traded for this .. did I make a deal with the devil to be a rubbish golfer who occasionally gets reminded of what he was capable of ..
Any way how do I break this cycle and become happy.. happiness is rolling in birdies not missing greens or doing something I have never practiced consciously
I know that feeling. In my head I am still a decent 16 year old player but the body isn't having any of it. I look at players older than me knocking it past me and wonder how that happened? I only need to look at the patients on ICU every working day to realise I am actually well ahead of the game being able to enjoy playing when I get to the course. Anything else is a bonus

sjw

Visit site
I can regularly get the ball round a 72 in under 80; I can occasionally get it round in a couple or three over; my short game and driving are tidy; my putting is good - yet the quality of my iron strikes is generally so very poor (relative even to that of much higher handicappers) that I often think I’m actually pretty rubbish at this game we play. Irritating.
I always think of irons as the main part of the game, for some reason. Maybe because when you picture a golf club, most people picture an iron. I don't know - but it makes me laugh when I hear players at my club say, "just need to work on my irons now". If I have a bad iron day I don't feel like I've played golf

Mandofred

Visit site
I can regularly get the ball round a 72 in under 80; I can occasionally get it round in a couple or three over; my short game and driving are tidy; my putting is good - yet the quality of my iron strikes is generally so very poor (relative even to that of much higher handicappers) that I often think I’m actually pretty rubbish at this game we play. Irritating.
Pssst......hybrids. I carry a 6+7 Ping hybrid, then hybrid iron (Eleven brand) 8-9-pw. Then (at least at the moment) I carry normal 50-54-58-64 degree wedges. No "irons" in the bag at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always think of irons as the main part of the game, for some reason. Maybe because when you picture a golf club, most people picture an iron. I don't know - but it makes me laugh when I hear players at my club say, "just need to work on my irons now". If I have a bad iron day I don't feel like I've played golf
It's funny because I know that you mean, but at my course it's often not the case. Some of the longer par 4s I'm driver, fairway wood, and some of the shorter ones are driver/wood and then a wedge - or perhaps a short iron, but not so many mid/long ones. There have been rounds where I don't use my 6 or 8 iron at all, for example.

sjw

Visit site
It's funny because I know that you mean, but at my course it's often not the case. Some of the longer par 4s I'm driver, fairway wood, and some of the shorter ones are driver/wood and then a wedge - or perhaps a short iron, but not so many mid/long ones. There have been rounds where I don't use my 6 or 8 iron at all, for example.
Yeah I have similar rounds! But when I'm at the range I'm practicing my irons the most. Go figure lol. Don't practice 3 wood much because I don't use it much (but then I'm inconsistent on the course). Don't practice wedges as it seems a waste of the whole range to only hit shots 60 yards! So hit driver and irons. Silly really.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
8 days since last swang a club and had physio appointment for the knee on Tuesday

It’s getting slowly better and there’s no ligament damage it’s basically runners/jumpers knee so probably still a couple weeks of exercises rest and stretching needed

Keep them quads/hamstrings and calves strong people because dear me this has been brutal

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
8 days since last swang a club and had physio appointment for the knee on Tuesday

It’s getting slowly better and there’s no ligament damage it’s basically runners/jumpers knee so probably still a couple weeks of exercises rest and stretching needed

Keep them quads/hamstrings and calves strong people because dear me this has been brutal
Its the quads/hamstrings and calf muscles that cause the back pain. I have to work hard daily to try and keep them as loose as I can so I can play and practice

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its the quads/hamstrings and calf muscles that cause the back pain. I have to work hard daily to try and keep them as loose as I can so I can play and practice
Yup, they are key. I have no ACLs now, so the leg stuff is hyper critical.
Yoga helps massively but getting the me time to do it is hard so I just do some choice stretches before bed and in the morning before a round .. the physical affect on my back and stiffness post round are huge..

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Yup, they are key. I have no ACLs now, so the leg stuff is hyper critical.
Yoga helps massively but getting the me time to do it is hard so I just do some choice stretches before bed and in the morning before a round .. the physical affect on my back and stiffness post round are huge..

Luckily its just a bit tendinitis but wow it was painful and been a bit of a reality check to look after the legs

Working from home and not much exercise over the winter then straight into 2 rounds a week and a week where I played 4 rounds in 5 days then after that continued to play strapped up and I got it into a right mess

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and so this afternoon a short session of 50 balls on our range and I seem to be able to hit a 7i reasonably well…but that’s on a mat. I think it’s the usual thing. On the course I just can’t get myself to commit to the shot as I am able on the range.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Luckily its just a bit tendinitis but wow it was painful and been a bit of a reality check to look after the legs

Working from home and not much exercise over the winter then straight into 2 rounds a week and a week where I played 4 rounds in 5 days then after that continued to play strapped up and I got it into a right mess
I had a really painful knee a few weeks ago. Lots of fluid stopping it bend. You can feel it around the knee. I could not work out what had caused it. I was supposed to play golf that day but it was uncomfortable .
So I googled why it could be and was looking to see a doctor. Just gave it a deep massage and broke the fluid down and the knee started to bend properly and the next day little sore but moving .. day after you wouldn’t have known

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

PaulMdj

Visit site
Golfers purposely wanting their handicap to rise.🤬
Answering my own post with an explanation, finally played the 1/4 final of the Club Foursomes tonight after out opponents agreed the date after 3 changes, when the draw was made we were giving them 2 shots, 3 times they changed the date and it that time both of them managed to put in enough cards to the point they were getting 4 shots tonight.
We thought they were up to something when we found they had been playing away courses and putting GP scores in.

Chatting on the way round they were saying how badly they’d been playing to the point all their good scores from last season were dropping off🤬

Anyway, it didn’t work, we beat them on the first extra hole.😬

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Answering my own post with an explanation, finally played the 1/4 final of the Club Foursomes tonight after out opponents agreed the date after 3 changes, when the draw was made we were giving them 2 shots, 3 times they changed the date and it that time both of them managed to put in enough cards to the point they were getting 4 shots tonight.
We thought they were up to something when we found they had been playing away courses and putting GP scores in.

Chatting on the way round they were saying how badly they’d been playing to the point all their good scores from last season were dropping off🤬

So their new handicaps were just about right? Or are yours to high as well? 🤣🤣🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A tiny tear in the inner material on the heel of my Ecco golf trainers, resulting in a painful blister. I felt it rubbing after three holes. Put a plaster on it at the halfway house, but damage already done. Annoyingly, just outside their warranty period.
Sellotape will sort it .
It stops the sock rubbing on your skin.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

If anything this proves that they were playing badly. 😄