Golf Random Irritations

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Just cannot hit the driver anymore. Don't know what to do to stop slicing it. Feel like I'm only hitting it at about 75% now just to try and keep it in play, any more than that and it's gone. Driving used to be my biggest strength! Now it's my biggest weakness as the rest of my game seems to be coming together.
Don't worry about it. It is just the golfing gods, they won't let you have it all. Your driving will return soon, but then you'll start chipping like a blind goat. It is a cycle that we all have to endure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a day off yesterday, primarily for my annual diabetic review but with a plan to head up to the club to practice and then get a few holes in mid-afternoon when it is quiet. Not a hope as it rained all day. And they call it summer

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Played our Midweek Stableford in the rain yesterday.

Out of a field of nearly 200 less than two dozen braved the conditions, and most of them gave up after 9 holes.

Full waterproofs, umbrella, four gloves and three towels kept me going until the 11th at which point there was nothing I could do to grip the club and I lost all control of where the ball was going. And by the finish I was also soaked through to the skin, literally.

We saw it out, submitted our cards and found ourselves 1st, 2nd & 3rd in Division 1, but only because there was only 1 other card and he had only done 9 holes. I submitted my worst score of the year and then an hour later they cancelled the comp. The score, a 94, sits proudly atop of my EG list of qualifying scores.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golfers purposely wanting their handicap to rise.🤬
Some have had purple periods and handicaps have dropped a lot but are now struggling with their form and therefore uncompetitive. I think it is good that players have a realisation that their handicap is not reflective of current form and so wanting it to go up isn't a bad thing. Putting in manipulated cards to achieve this (as I've heard off) is a different matter. As long as cards go in with each round it shouldn't be hard for the system to catch back up to current form. Isn't that what the system is supposed to do

More likely your post is playing the poster (as you would say)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've gone from 4.3 to 5.5 this year.
I do not believe this has anything to do with my current form.
I do not believe my ability is different from last year.
May and June presented a much more difficult course and playing conditions than last year.
I expect to come down a bit by the end of September.
If the course plays easier in May and June next year than it did this year, I might come down further.
I don't change much, but the course and the weather has very erratic "form".

PaulMdj

Visit site
Some have had purple periods and handicaps have dropped a lot but are now struggling with their form and therefore uncompetitive. I think it is good that players have a realisation that their handicap is not reflective of current form and so wanting it to go up isn't a bad thing. Putting in manipulated cards to achieve this (as I've heard off) is a different matter. As long as cards go in with each round it shouldn't be hard for the system to catch back up to current form. Isn't that what the system is supposed to do

Putting regulars cards in and accepting what your handicap is, is totally different to a golfer hoping their handicap rises in time for a particular date and competition.

But if you think it’s aimed at you, that’s your own insecurities, I did say “Golfers”.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

For me it's more of an acceptance that constantly trying to get it lower isn't the be all and end all anymore. If I play poorly for a spell I think it's better to be comfortable with it going up than to whine about it. It doesn't mean I want it to go up really (I was being tongue-in-cheek about that in the other thread), I'll still be playing my best in each round of course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played our Midweek Stableford in the rain yesterday.

Out of a field of nearly 200 less than two dozen braved the conditions, and most of them gave up after 9 holes.

Full waterproofs, umbrella, four gloves and three towels kept me going until the 11th at which point there was nothing I could do to grip the club and I lost all control of where the ball was going. And by the finish I was also soaked through to the skin, literally.

We saw it out, submitted our cards and found ourselves 1st, 2nd & 3rd in Division 1, but only because there was only 1 other card and he had only done 9 holes. I submitted my worst score of the year and then an hour later they cancelled the comp. The score, a 94, sits proudly atop of my EG list of qualifying scores.
200 signed up to play a midweek stableford 😳 That’s a heck of a turnout for a midweek comp…👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me it's more of an acceptance that constantly trying to get it lower isn't the be all and end all anymore. If I play poorly for a spell I think it's better to be comfortable with it going up than to whine about it. It doesn't mean I want it to go up really (I was being tongue-in-cheek about that in the other thread), I'll still be playing my best in each round of course.
I always want to play my best but I am and have always been a very streaky player. When I am riding a playing well wave I can shoot really low scores for a short period which really has an impact on the handicap and then can have long periods in a trough. Of course a degree of consistency would be ideal but I don't seem to have any middle ground other than my bad rounds now are closer to 29-30 points rather than a 23-25 so I guess my mediocrity is a better level. Playing a lot of senior events is when it is noticeable how much they cuts affect the ability to be competitve at all

Cards go in all the time so it should be easier to catch up and I hope by the time the wetter conditions arrive I'll have got back to a level I can have half a chance of winning if I put together another good round. Of course if I ride another purple patch wave it'll get cut again and that's as it should be

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that is a really important part of golf, and one many of us struggle with. I'm always trying to go down in h/c but it is a battle. I'm about to lose some good scores, the wet weather again means that they are unlikely to be replaced with equally good ones. My h/c, lowest ever, is going to go up and it will hurt. I need to stop that affecting me but it's easier said than done.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that is a really important part of golf, and one many of us struggle with. I'm always trying to go down in h/c but it is a battle. I'm about to lose some good scores, the wet weather again means that they are unlikely to be replaced with equally good ones. My h/c, lowest ever, is going to go up and it will hurt. I need to stop that affecting me but it's easier said than done.
Much as I don't really like the WHS, it has at least brought me to that acceptance now. Because in the old system it felt like a challenge to keep getting lower, and you wouldn't lose it all in an instant because you'd only creep up in 0.1s. But now it fluctuates all over the place and you can lose a whole shot in a single round, so I've stopped caring. It's good to be free. 😄

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a day off yesterday, primarily for my annual diabetic review but with a plan to head up to the club to practice and then get a few holes in mid-afternoon when it is quiet. Not a hope as it rained all day. And they call it summer
We were very lucky yesterday played in perfect weather.
We walked of the 18th just as the heavens opened and the downpour continued for hours.
Obviously our rain dance worked lol

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

I just follow the easy mantra - turn up , hit ball , try and get it in the hole , write down score , my handicap will be what it is

Been down to 0.8 , up to 2.8 and I have no doubt it will fluctuate

I just want enjoy it at the end of the day

We play the game for fun

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I just follow the easy mantra - turn up , hit ball , try and get it in the hole , write down score , my handicap will be what it is

Been down to 0.8 , up to 2.8 and I have no doubt it will fluctuate

I just want enjoy it at the end of the day

We play the game for fun

You missed the full English breakfast with a Guinness, then off to the 1st tee.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
200 signed up to play a midweek stableford 😳 That’s a heck of a turnout for a midweek comp…👍
It is the most popular comp at the club. A qualifier in 4 divisions, every week for 20 weeks. The weekly winners are entered into the final in August, and the winner of that gets their name up on the board.
It is generally full with tee times from around 07:00 until late evening. It is not unknown for stragglers to be playing the last few holes in the dark.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can regularly get the ball round a 72 in under 80; I can occasionally get it round in a couple or three over; my short game and driving are tidy; my putting is good - yet the quality of my iron strikes is generally so very poor (relative even to that of much higher handicappers) that I often think I’m actually pretty rubbish at this game we play. Irritating.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dunno but the frustration of not being as good as I was has really depressed me. I wondered if it was like losing distance but I think it is far worse .. you look at the heavens and the phrase what the f@&k was that as the ball goes no where intended.
I watch “good” players and think, I’d have you .. but is that arrogance? Or just a rose tinted memory.. I don’t know, I ask what have I traded for this .. did I make a deal with the devil to be a rubbish golfer who occasionally gets reminded of what he was capable of ..
Any way how do I break this cycle and become happy.. happiness is rolling in birdies not missing greens or doing something I have never practiced consciously