Golf Random Irritations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Short game work last night. Was just getting something going and the heavens opened to curtail my session. It is supposed to be flaming June! Had a thin base layer on as well. It just isn't right and another really poor summer. We better get an Indian summer later in the year

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Last summer wasn't great either. I think last spring was the last decent dry spell.
Having endured the grimmest may ever for golf, it was "interesting" to hear that it was by some distance the warmest since record began.
Turns out that a warmer climate just makes us more like a heated up version of Glasgow, than the French riviera 😞

I too read this and was very skeptical because it certainly didn't feel like it. Apparently it was because the increased cloud cover (felt pretty constant!) meant that heat wasn't lost in the night - so the average 24hr temps were higher.

Which I can kind of understand - feels like we completely missed those sunny spring days where its warm in the day but fresh in the evenings and instead just got a steady 12 degrees overcast/rain in perpetuity.

Think I prefer the old weather 😂.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too read this and was very skeptical because it certainly didn't feel like it. Apparently it was because the increased cloud cover (felt pretty constant!) meant that heat wasn't lost in the night - so the average 24hr temps were higher.

Which I can kind of understand - feels like we completely missed those sunny spring days where its warm in the day but fresh in the evenings and instead just got a steady 12 degrees overcast/rain in perpetuity.

Think I prefer the old weather 😂.
Yeah. Not much point in it being warm if it's also raining every two days.

Mandofred

Visit site
Probably not fake, but possibly incorrect.
I've experienced dozens of Mays, the one just gone was not the warmest .............................. according to Slime.
So....ignore the facts....make up your own.....I would say something about a political person in the US at this point.....but I don't want to get hit with a political hammer of death.:unsure:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29109

hitting par 5 tee shot out of bounds, then eagle the hole with the 2nd ball 🤦‍♂️
I did that at Cambridge Meridian last summer. I was a couple of inches away making a 4 too. But had to settle for a tap in par 😆

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
One area of my game that needs some serious improvement is bunker play. I went up to the practice area last night and came out hitting even worse shots than before, feeling even worse about it. I can sometimes hit absolute world class shots, other times I'm practically shanking it.

I've been using the Dan Grieve method with some relative success, felt like I just completely lost the plot last night though, even though if feels like I'm doing the right things - very frustrating.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One area of my game that needs some serious improvement is bunker play. I went up to the practice area last night and came out hitting even worse shots than before, feeling even worse about it. I can sometimes hit absolute world class shots, other times I'm practically shanking it.

I've been using the Dan Grieve method with some relative success, felt like I just completely lost the plot last night though, even though if feels like I'm doing the right things - very frustrating.
Yeah bunkers do my head in as well. I've watched every YouTube tutorial going, I know exactly what I'm supposed to do, but when I try to do it, it doesn't work. My club will bounce off the sand or just knife the ball. I can only get it right about 20% of the time. I've given up opening the clubface as I can't get the heel to go through the sand, it just bounces and shanks the ball. Now I just keep it square and try and chop it out. Even if it just barely comes out, or flies through the green I'm fine with it, it's out. 😆

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was a decent bunker player a few seasons back. I've neglected it with my back injuries as I've found for some reason it adds pressure onto it. Went back to a more "linear method" with the shaft vertical or even pointing a tad backwards and it is using the bounce wonderfully. I just find myself swaying at the moment so low point moving but if I can spend some time working on that I'll be happy again

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just pt on my base layer for this afteroon and waterprrofs packed. Work golf with clients coming to my course - always same guys on US bank holiday in June - and nearly always shiiiite weather!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah bunkers do my head in as well. I've watched every YouTube tutorial going, I know exactly what I'm supposed to do, but when I try to do it, it doesn't work. My club will bounce off the sand or just knife the ball. I can only get it right about 20% of the time. I've given up opening the clubface as I can't get the heel to go through the sand, it just bounces and shanks the ball. Now I just keep it square and try and chop it out. Even if it just barely comes out, or flies through the green I'm fine with it, it's out. 😆
It's annoying as I can often hit great bunker shots but most of the time I am just looking to get it out!