Golf Random Irritations

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds good in theory, but then you'll get the awkward so and so's who won't agree a date and then hope for a a walkover on the final day.
Just play him on the last day then.
As stated if you can’t make the last day ( they were pre posted) don’t enter!

It took all the unessesary to and fro out of it. 🙈

Mandofred

Visit site
Took me 5 years to get a regular game when I moved here. No bookable tee times back then didn't help
This is one of the main reasons I'm at Ripon now, they have 2 booked rollups.....Wed+Thurs at 9am and 8:30. It's still the same group of 30 or so people, but you play with different people almost every time.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Booked a belated birthday weekend away with my wife and just realised that it clashes with The Open. Piss poor planning on my part. :mad:

I've managed to miss both majors so fair this year - in Milan for the Masters and didn't see a ball struck and currently in Crete so missed the vast majority (downloaded a VPN and managed to catch about 6 holes of Sunday final groups on CBS before I fell asleep 😂).

No other trips planned though so should be good for the others.

Mandofred

Visit site
Newport "roll ups" means "turn up with your usual 4 ball and play with them!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Having been at 3 difference courses, each does things a little differently. All had draws though, so always played with different people. At the last course the rollups were run in a way I was uncomfortable with, so eventually stopped playing with them very often. They kept track of their group scores - or +par....which I was fine with, but each group gave crazy long "gimme's"....2-3 footers with break. Basically they were giving themselves the putt and points....huh? Can you imagine playing a matchplay with someone and you give yourself the gimme from 3 feet? I questioned it a few times, but they didn't really like me stirring the pot.

NearHull

Visit site
Having been at 3 difference courses, each does things a little differently. All had draws though, so always played with different people. At the last course the rollups were run in a way I was uncomfortable with, so eventually stopped playing with them very often. They kept track of their group scores - or +par....which I was fine with, but each group gave crazy long "gimme's"....2-3 footers with break. Basically they were giving themselves the putt and points....huh? Can you imagine playing a matchplay with someone and you give yourself the gimme from 3 feet? I questioned it a few times, but they didn't really like me stirring the pot.
The ‘self gimme’ puts was prevalent at our roll up when I joined them. (The format was 2 from 4 for the princely sum of £1 each.) It was widely used and even more so when playing with one poor chap who had the yips. Together with another player, we gradually whittled away at stopping the gimme culture and eventually succeeded.

The gent with the yips still plays occasionally and if you get him in the draw, you take the mental attitude of its 2 from 3 despite there being 4 in the group. He is a nice chap, mid eighties, so none really minds.

sjw

Visit site
Having to get through the rest of a slow day before you can get down the range

(Even though you did say you were going to have a break this week until Sunday)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Can someone come up with a concise snappy term for that occasion when you lose your best score and get a big jump up in HI, please?
Gonna happen to me soon.

sjw

Visit site
Went to the range. Was better than last time. Only took my 7 iron out the car to keep to focussed practice. Went quite well.

So what's the irritation?

Dropped my godforsaken phone in the car park and smashed the back to pieces.