Golf Random Irritations

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We have I think 3 drawn comps

Two are in “zones” - so hour zones and most of the members put themselves into the zones they normally play so most of the time they get people they normally play with

The last is club champs and it’s done by HC order

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Very few drawn comps at Ellesborough...Club Champs is handicap order for R1 and score order for R2
One other 2 day comp is, I think , drawn for R1 and score order for R2..other than that it's pick or book your time depending....
We're not overly heavy on comps..only 6 or 7 club comps and half a dozen Ladies or Seniors comps this month....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very few drawn comps at Ellesborough...Club Champs is handicap order for R1 and score order for R2
One other 2 day comp is, I think , drawn for R1 and score order for R2..other than that it's pick or book your time depending....
We're not overly heavy on comps..only 6 or 7 club comps and half a dozen Ladies or Seniors comps this month....
I like the way my club does it. Board comps are generally drawn, so I get to meet and play with new people then, or people I've played with before but not often. Other smaller comps such as monthly Stablefords and medals, and fun team events are play with whoever you like. Same as you, our club champs are done in handicap order day one and leader order on day two.

The mix is ideal, I wouldn't want it all one way or the other. If it was all drawn I'd miss out on the weekly catch-up with my mates. But it's nice to enter a board comp every now and then and get to know some of the members, without them being drawn I'd hardly ever meet anybody.

Mandofred

Visit site
I like the way my club does it. Board comps are generally drawn, so I get to meet and play with new people then, or people I've played with before but not often. Other smaller comps such as monthly Stablefords and medals, and fun team events are play with whoever you like. Same as you, our club champs are done in handicap order day one and leader order on day two.

The mix is ideal, I wouldn't want it all one way or the other. If it was all drawn I'd miss out on the weekly catch-up with my mates. But it's nice to enter a board comp every now and then and get to know some of the members, without them being drawn I'd hardly ever meet anybody.
That's the way I think it should be.

Mandofred

Visit site
We are only drawn for Club Championship, other than that it is fastest finger first when booking for other comps, Club is over 110yrs old and it’s never been a problem.

Golf is a hobby and if I want to enjoy it then I’ll choose who’s company I wish to keep.

Some people only get to play once a week and why should they risk being stuck with some boring or miserable or someone they dislike for 4-6 hours?

Families play together!

Never experienced anyone cheating and I’m sure if any of my mates or I tried it, it would be the last time we played together.

If you’ve got cheating going on in your place I’d suggest a letter to the committee.
If it's a comp.....then it needs to be taken somewhat seriously. Playing with your buddies on a day out?....yep....absolutely, do what you want. If you are going to play for something more serious, you have to TAKE it more serious. If it is just a hobby, I've no issues with you playing however you want....mulligans, 45 clubs in the bag, beer by the keg.....go for it.

If you have never experienced anybody cheating/stretching the rules.....you aren't paying attention. Letter to the committee?....heck, I play with the past Capt's now. If you want to be picky....I cheat EVERY time I play. If I mark my ball on the green....then put it back and it rolls into a little depression, I move it 1/4" to the side so it doesn't sit in the hole. That's cheating. How many people do I see pick up their ball to "identify it" in the rough....and then they put it on a tuft of grass....that's cheating. It's so widespread it's crazy....I've been a member at 3 clubs....it happens at every club. Their "buddies" let them by with it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If it's a comp.....then it needs to be taken somewhat seriously. Playing with your buddies on a day out?....yep....absolutely, do what you want. If you are going to play for something more serious, you have to TAKE it more serious. If it is just a hobby, I've no issues with you playing however you want....mulligans, 45 clubs in the bag, beer by the keg.....go for it.

If you have never experienced anybody cheating/stretching the rules.....you aren't paying attention. Letter to the committee?....heck, I play with the past Capt's now. If you want to be picky....I cheat EVERY time I play. If I mark my ball on the green....then put it back and it rolls into a little depression, I move it 1/4" to the side so it doesn't sit in the hole. That's cheating. How many people do I see pick up their ball to "identify it" in the rough....and then they put it on a tuft of grass....that's cheating. It's so widespread it's crazy....I've been a member at 3 clubs....it happens at every club. Their "buddies" let them by with it.
How many times have you pulled someone up for those breaches?

Edited to add. It doesn’t need taking seriously at all. It is possible to play to the rules and try your best while enjoying the round and people you are playing with.

Outside of the knockouts. I play in one drawn comp a year. I play with my son and mate every weekend (sometimes FiL) as they are the people I want to spend time with. I don’t want to spend the little time I have to play golf with some randoms. Who I may or may not like.

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site

Who mentioned mulligans and beer kegs😵‍💫 Are you forgetting you’re not Stateside anymore! We’re more than capable of taking comps seriously whilst remaining friends! And it’s still a hobby.

If you’re cheating that much in drawn comps, what difference would it make playing with mates in none drawn comps, it sounds more of a you issue than whether the comps are drawn or not.

Mandofred

Visit site
Who mentioned mulligans and beer kegs😵‍💫 Are you forgetting you’re not Stateside anymore! We’re more than capable of taking comps seriously whilst remaining friends! And it’s still a hobby.

If you’re cheating that much in drawn comps, what difference would it make playing with mates in none drawn comps, it sounds more of a you issue than whether the comps are drawn or not.
Totally missed every point I was trying to make. We don't have drawn comps.....did you read anything?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Totally missed every point I was trying to make. We don't have drawn comps.....did you read anything?
Replied in exactly the same manner you replied to mine, were did I say Comps were not taken seriously because Golf is a hobby or we play with mates?

You watch people cheat and do nothing about it! You must of had lots of buddies at the 3 Clubs you’ve been a member of! Are you sure you’re not the problem?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Almost never. Are you saying that you never see people doing anything wrong?
I do all the time. But I’m not the one telling people they should be taking comps seriously.

Given you have just admitted to cheating and watching other do the same, I’m really not sure what point you are trying to make.

But you have again highlighted why I have very little interest in ‘serious’ club competitions. Everyone is playing to a different set of rules and their handicaps are almost meaningless because of it.

It’s one of the reasons I like match play. I can watch my opponent to see what they are up to.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I do all the time. But I’m not the one telling people they should be taking comps seriously.

Given you have just admitted to cheating and watching other do the same, I’m really not sure what point you are trying to make.

But you have again highlighted why I have very little interest in ‘serious’ club competitions. Everyone is playing to a different set of rules and their handicaps are almost meaningless because of it.

It’s one of the reasons I like match play. I can watch my opponent to see what they are up to.
Apparently if the Club he’s at had drawn comps neither he or anyone else would cheat.🤷‍♂️

Mandofred

Visit site
Apparently if the Club he’s at had drawn comps neither he or anyone else would cheat.🤷‍♂️
Have you ever "cheated"? At anything? If your answer is no.....I think you are fibbing a bit. Golfers are not "special"....they are just normal people....the same amount of people who break the rules....break the rules in golf. How many people do you see break the rules while driving.....do you then go to the police and turn them in?.....I think....none. Oh....I forgot.....golfers are "special".

Mandofred

Visit site

So...your response to this?
https://www.amateurgolf.com/golf-to...ou-might-be-surprised-what-players-had-to-say

PaulMdj

Visit site
Have you ever "cheated"? At anything? If your answer is no.....I think you are fibbing a bit. Golfers are not "special"....they are just normal people....the same amount of people who break the rules....break the rules in golf. How many people do you see break the rules while driving.....do you then go to the police and turn them in?.....I think....none. Oh....I forgot.....golfers are "special".
😂😂 Massive leap from drawn comps to speeding isn’t it!

Have I ever cheated when playing Golf? No.

Have I driven over 70mph on a motorway?
Absolutely.

Still have no idea how the 2 connect though.🤷‍♂️

Good look finding your 4th Club.👍🏻