Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First set of matchplay fixtures have come out, and immediately having trouble arranging a date for both of the matches I'm in. 'Twas ever thus. The silly thing is they've set the deadline at June 17th but June 15 & 16 are Club Championships so can't really play that weekend anyway. This weekend is short notice so essentially only have 3 weekends to play it in. One of them has another two-day competition in it as well. 🤦‍♂️

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Played an open on Saturday and still waiting for the results to be published.

Nothing on the club website, nothing on HDID, no email. I've emailed them to ask them how the results will be published but they haven't replied.

It's not a biggie, we won't be in the prizes but I still want to know. Also, my mates might be last and that's always funny.
Still waiting... :(
Come on Ormonde Fields GC, get it sorted.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First set of matchplay fixtures have come out, and immediately having trouble arranging a date for both of the matches I'm in. 'Twas ever thus. The silly thing is they've set the deadline at June 17th but June 15 & 16 are Club Championships so can't really play that weekend anyway. This weekend is short notice so essentially only have 3 weekends to play it in. One of them has another two-day competition in it as well. 🤦‍♂️
Still leaves about 20 days to fit in the matches……..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still leaves about 20 days to fit in the matches……..
No it doesn't. because like a lot of people, I have a job.

Luckily my foursomes partner is the former captain, she agreed with my regarding the Club Champs being a silly time to have the deadline and got it extended by another week!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
No it doesn't. because like a lot of people, I have a job.

Luckily my foursomes partner is the former captain, she agreed with my regarding the Club Champs being a silly time to have the deadline and got it extended by another week!

Are you a 7 day member?

If you are playing in knockouts you should be able to make yourself available on a weekday to play, in the same way retired people should make themselves available at the weekend. It works both ways.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you a 7 day member?

If you are playing in knockouts you should be able to make yourself available on a weekday to play, in the same way retired people should make themselves available at the weekend. It works both ways.
I can maybe as a last resort get down at 5pm on the days I work from home. My wife probably wouldn't be happy at me leaving her to do dinner and bed time with the little one though, hence why it's a last resort only. Irrespective of that, it's still a bit silly to give a three-and-a-half week deadline where two of the weekends are taken out with two-day competitions. The extension that my partner just secured has worked a treat as we've arranged it for that Sunday, thankfully.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I can maybe as a last resort get down at 5pm on the days I work from home. My wife probably wouldn't be happy at me leaving her to do dinner and bed time with the little one though, hence why it's a last resort only. Irrespective of that, it's still a bit silly to give a three-and-a-half week deadline where two of the weekends are taken out with two-day competitions. The extension that my partner just secured has worked a treat as we've arranged it for that Sunday, thankfully.

Yes, I agree it is bad planning from the club given the events you have mentioned. Not everyone works Monday to Friday, so if you are entering a knockout comp everyone should be prepared to make a sacrifice to arrange a game if its needed. IMO those who arent prepared to do this shouldnt be entering.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went out for nine holes on the back nine. Admittedly I rushed a tad to get ahead of a 4 ball coming down the 9th but played like a real clown. Managed to lose 4 balls (4 more than I have in the last 5-6 rounds) and nothing I've been working on came to fruition. A couple of decent drives but that was about it. Wish I hadn't bothered

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to Turkey for a weeks golfing on Sunday. Never had it before, but I have developed tennis elbow in my left arm 🤬. At least it isn’t my drinking arm 🤪

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing like a chopper for the last three rounds. If I keep this current form my index could go from 1.3 to about 5 in next to no time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a hc ko match on Thursday giving 7 shots and lost. Wasn’t the losing that bothered me (much more than losing to the +3 guy on Tuesday) it was how badly I hit the ball most of the time…and so despite managing to scramble it round in 6 over gross (whilst losing) I went into a lesson later on Thursday (that was in the diary whatever) feeling very down.

After my coach viewed half dozen shots he had some tough but understanding words for me explaining why I was striking the ball so badly…but he also told me he had an answer to my problem. In working to eliminate my persistent shanking of the ball - pretty much sorted that - I had introduced significant swing disconnect.

And so I embark on something completely different for me hitting a golf ball - building connection into my core and using it to do the work. I have no idea how I’ll get on. It feels rather odd and when I eventually get over the ball - and were I actually thinking about the ball I’d be thinking I’m bound to shank it. But I wasn’t and I didn’t. We will see. Requires a lot of time on the range.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf club bars that have hot drink machines only taking cash. Buy a bacon buttie via cashless, need coins for the machine 🤔. No token, only cash 🙄. It's 2024 people.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you pipe a drive straight down the middle, see it bounce down there and pick up your tee - then fast forward a few minutes, wonder where the hell it is and realise it's kicked left into the rough. How? Did it teleport?? I saw you bounce down the middle!