Golf Random Irritations

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drove 30 miles to Sherborne for an away team scratch match. Course was closed due to heavy rain and flooded greens. We waited for about 1 hour but the match had to be abandoned. Drove the 30 miles back to my home course and played a few holes in the sunshine. 🤷‍♂️

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seeking the Handicap League Captains struggling to work out the handicaps for todays match with input from players who didnt understand the changes from April 1st , we won 5-1 😃

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You know how once a year you'll miss a tiddler 1ft putt, well i did it on Saturday, so annoying

The irritation is that Saturday must've been the 365th day because I did it again on Sunday!! :mad:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver "fixed" by our pro. something was inside sliding about in the shaft and messing with my head from the 15th onwards, when I just didn't need it. Took it in after my round. It, apparently, was the old glue. He got it out to show me. ??????? Really glue? It looked just like a plastic cylinder with a pin hole in it. It may have cost me a board comp win 😡

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You know how once a year you'll miss a tiddler 1ft putt, well i did it on Saturday, so annoying

The irritation is that Saturday must've been the 365th day because I did it again on Sunday!! :mad:
Only once a year?? Sounds like you're a great putter. 👍🏻

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing in a slow group, asking the group behind to play through and them refusing but continuing to play the remaining ten holes up our backsides.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing a few holes yesterday evening I came off baffled as to how what my coach has got me working on develops into a way of hitting the ball (aka a golf swing) that will enable me to get a ball round a course in under 90. I will be honest with him about my confusion, and that I think I need a road map…

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing a few holes yesterday evening I came off baffled as to how what my coach has got me working on develops into a way of hitting the ball (aka a golf swing) that will enable me to get a ball round a course in under 90. I will be honest with him about my confusion, and that I think I need a road map…
Tell me to mind my own business, but it seems more like you're indulging him in his experimental theories rather than receiving help that you actually need here. I didn't think you'd been playing badly and in need of wholesale changes??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Tell me to mind my own business, but it seems more like you're indulging him in his experimental theories rather than receiving help that you actually need here. I didn't think you'd been playing badly and in need of wholesale changes??
I was a persistent ‘shanker’ and we seem to have largely sorted that - well at least eliminated it as a regular occurrence. However having ‘sorted’ that I am still striking the ball very, very poorly, with part of the reason being what I feel I have to do to avoid the shanks. So even though I can get the ball round my own track in under 80 I get little or no pleasure from it - and I know that on a track other than my own I might well not fare so well.

So what we are working on is to keep what I have done to sort shanks and at the same time get me sorted so that I can strike the ball better. And what is required is significant. I’m willing to give it a go, and I feel and already see to a limited extent how what I am doing does give me better striking - but I do not see how what I am doing can be developed into what is needed for under 80s scoring.

I suspect that part of my confusion comes from me misunderstanding what is important and applying/focussing on the wrong thing(s). I have an idea what that might be and I will try it out on the range later this pm.

And I am happy to ‘indulge’…after all I get my lessons free…👍😊

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a persistent ‘shanker’ and we seem to have largely sorted that - well at least eliminated it as a regular occurrence. However having ‘sorted’ that I am still striking the ball very, very poorly, with part of the reason being what I feel I have to do to avoid the shanks. So even though I can get the ball round my own track in under 80 I get little or no pleasure from it - and I know that on a track other than my own I might well not fare so well.

So what we are working on is to keep what I have done to sort shanks and at the same time get me sorted so that I can strike the ball better. And what is required is significant. I’m willing to give it a go, and I feel and already see to a limited extent how what I am doing does give me better striking - but I do not see how what I am doing can be developed into what is needed for under 80s scoring.

I suspect that part of my confusion comes from me misunderstanding what is important and applying/focussing on the wrong thing(s). I have an idea what that might be and I will try it out on the range later this pm.

And I am happy to ‘indulge’…after all I get my lessons free…👍😊
Ok mate. Just sounds like a nightmare to me. 😆 As per your last sentence - it almost sounded like since you get free lessons you felt obliged in indulge his whims of experimentation or something. But if it's all stuff you want to do then fair play.

I learned that I am not someone who responds well to lessons and change, which is why your description there sounds like a nightmare to me. I'm still trying to undo the damage of the lesson I had in January. 😆

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok mate. Just sounds like a nightmare to me. 😆 As per your last sentence - it almost sounded like since you get free lessons you felt obliged in indulge his whims of experimentation or something. But if it's all stuff you want to do then fair play.

I learned that I am not someone who responds well to lessons and change, which is why your description there sounds like a nightmare to me. I'm still trying to undo the damage of the lesson I had in January. 😆
Session on range this afternoon confirmed my thought about what I was misunderstanding - in fact I think I was over-interpreting what I’ve been told. Next step is to keep doing this an hour at a time on the range for a few sessions, then get checked to see if I have now correctly understood the drill and how it will deliver good ball striking in time.

sjw

Visit site
Went out for nine holes on the back nine. Admittedly I rushed a tad to get ahead of a 4 ball coming down the 9th but played like a real clown. Managed to lose 4 balls (4 more than I have in the last 5-6 rounds) and nothing I've been working on came to fruition. A couple of decent drives but that was about it. Wish I hadn't bothered
Feels like me lately. Just depressing