Golf Random Irritations

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played an away vets league team match on Friday. Miss any green, or even hit through the green, and, apart from short first cut, the ball was buried in grass that was at least twice as high as the ball, so hitting in sometimes with, say, a 4 wood or a 5 iron and running through the firm green it was almost impossible to chip back on, or do so and manage to stop the ball on the green, especially if short sided. Even finding balls was a total lottery

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I needed a red golf cap (for a themed comp) so bought one at the pro-shop with club logo etc... every time since then when I try to get use of it and wear it occasionally, but I can't help thinking it makes me look like a trump supporter and it goes back on the shelf, money well wasted :(

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I needed a red golf cap (for a themed comp) so bought one at the pro-shop with club logo etc... every time since then when I try to get use of it and wear it occasionally, but I can't help thinking it makes me look like a trump supporter and it goes back on the shelf, money well wasted :(
That’s just killed my red cap!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been hitting it well of late, thanks to the new stretching routine I've been given, but.... got an intercostal tear again yesterday, in agony today. Last time required 6 weeks rest, which will count me out of a couple of ties and the club champs this year😟

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having cracked a couple of ribs over 6 weeks ago I thought I was ready for golf on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon….two swings in and I had to give in. Unfortunately I’d agreed to mark a card for a friend so walked the full 18 without another shot….still at least the sun was shining and he bought me a couple of beers after 😬

oleinone

Visit site
Played a seniors matchplay comp against a visiting team yesterday giving my opponent 6 shots. Beautiful morning, course in good nick - looking forward to it. From the first hole he didn't stop moaning - the rough, his bad shots and the longer it went on his game just collapsed to the extent that he appeared to give up trying. Zero satisfaction in winning and his attitude spoiled what should have been a good golfing morning. Then had to sit down to lunch with the miserable git. On leaving, he felt obliged to say that he wouldn't be coming back soon - every cloud has a silver lining.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Welcome to early Spring! Unless the club spends money on more GKs and machinery, with consequent increase to subs, there's only so much of the course that can be tended to in the hours they have available and growth rate is approaching its peak. Would you rather the greens or fairways were mown less often, bunkers were lefl in the previous day's state or fees increased even more? Making the first cut of rough a full mower width, as opposed to the normal yard or less, at this time of year helps - at least according to a golf playing HGK I used to know.
Since when was the end of May early Spring?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played a seniors matchplay comp against a visiting team yesterday giving my opponent 6 shots. Beautiful morning, course in good nick - looking forward to it. From the first hole he didn't stop moaning - the rough, his bad shots and the longer it went on his game just collapsed to the extent that he appeared to give up trying. Zero satisfaction in winning and his attitude spoiled what should have been a good golfing morning. Then had to sit down to lunch with the miserable git. On leaving, he felt obliged to say that he wouldn't be coming back soon - every cloud has a silver lining.
Fairly normal team match then?
Hope you are looking forward to the next one.

My best experience was a first team match many years ago when I was 3 down with 3 to play and got a half.
Chap walked off without shaking hands, straight to his car and left.
I really enjoyed the meal afterwards.
Away captain was appalled and apologetic.
I told him I was not bothered - merely greatly entertained - got a half, but it felt like a tremendous victory.
Really glad he didn't stop for the meal. It was great.
I made all his team mates chuckle with my tale of his antics.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been waiting until payday to pick up a refurbished Stewart push trolley from their website for £125. Today's payday... they're sold out. Balls.