Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, the Inwards was always the winter 4-ball, and it is the big money comp at GDGC.

If they've swapped it with the Begbie foursomes, that doesn't make sense. The whole point of the winter 4-ball was to encourage people to continue playing competitive golf through the winter, and the big prize pot was part of the incentive. If someone isn't that interested in winter golf, I don't see how a foursomes without the potential of a big prize is going to change their minds. But I've been away from the club for over 2 years now, so who am I to question things?
I found the email explaining it, Sept 2021:

"For some time there's been an ongoing discussion to why we play the Inwards Winter Fourball over the winter months. This prestigious competition started as a winter competition introduced by the Inwards family, many years ago. Due to months of no play, lockdowns the tournament was played over the summer months this year, which I'm sure you would all agree worked well. During the winter months the lack of daylight hours & bad weather usually has a significant impact on the competition so this year we have introduced the Begbie foursomes as the winter knockout, this faster format should enable players to complete matches on time. The Inwards Winter Fourball will then be played in the summer months with the auction held on spring 2022."

So there you go.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's a four-ball matchplay competition at my club where they have an auction for all the pairs that have entered - if the pair wins then those that purchased them get a payout. Like a gambling thing I guess. Then in the words of one of the emails I got, "Winning bidders must also offer the purchased pair the opportunity to purchase a 50% stake in themselves." Me and my partner went for £80 - same fee as we did the year before. Last year we did not take the opportunity to buy half of our stake (turned out to be a wise decision as we lost in the first round!). I was still debating whether to do it or not this year when I received a message:

"Hi Olly our syndicate bought you and your partner so you need to pay for your half which is £40 between you."
My response was I'm pretty sure it's optional. His reply to that? "I know it's optional but it's always been the done thing to do."

Ah. That old chestnut of golf clubs everywhere. If there was a phrase he could have picked to make me not want to do something, then I think he just found it. Feeling much more inclined to pass on this 'opportunity' now.
How many in the syndicate? Probably 10 paying £4 each.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many in the syndicate? Probably 10 paying £4 each.
Yeah, I'm not sure to be honest, I know we're not the only team they've bought but there seems to be at least 4 of them in the 'syndicate' that I know of. I'm not sure if it's really in the spirit of the competition if they gang up and buy several of the teams up and then split the winnings. But hey I've only been here a few years so what do I know.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure to be honest, I know we're not the only team they've bought but there seems to be at least 4 of them in the 'syndicate' that I know of. I'm not sure if it's really in the spirit of the competition if they gang up and buy several of the teams up and then split the winnings. But hey I've only been here a few years so what do I know.
Well it could be the done thing I guess 🙄🙄🙄

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely you are aware of how syndicates work in sport 🤷‍♂️

They are a big part of events like this and help bring the funds up

Maybe you should get out there and get involved in it , they can be great fun

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm literally already involved in it otherwise you wouldn't have heard about it? 😂

I meant by being part of a syndicate, buying a pair , buying yourself , or getting a half etc - as opposed to just playing in the event 🙄

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Five months of winter, muddy waterlogged course, course closes and when we finally get a dry course and some glorious sunshine, I get sciatica.

I'm still playing in a fashion. It's golf, Jim, but not as we know it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After about 5 holes a fella in the group yesterday starts having calls on his phone (didn't disturb anyone) after one call he said 'sorry, I'm waiting on an important delivery'

With huge admiration for his commitment to the comp I said congrats, do you know if it's a boy or girl?

I stopped listening what the delivery actually was when he said it was stuff for the house :cautious:

oleinone

Visit site
Played against a visiting seniors team this week, matchplay singles in groups of four. After 12 holes it began lashing it down. My opponent and I tried to speed things up - ready golf. Unfortunately, my team mate, a notoriously slow player, carried on with his interminable pre shot nonsense. Even trying to scope the invisible flag when the fog came down on the 16 th. What can you do?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After about 5 holes a fella in the group yesterday starts having calls on his phone (didn't disturb anyone) after one call he said 'sorry, I'm waiting on an important delivery'

With huge admiration for his commitment to the comp I said congrats, do you know if it's a boy or girl?

I stopped listening what the delivery actually was when he said it was stuff for the house :cautious:
I applaud your speed of thought. That's a comment I would have thought of 2 holes later when the moment had gone 😄