Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What a weird weekend for telly golf. Must’ve only watched about an hours’ worth over the 4 days. Can’t recall when it was last as little as that. Just couldn’t get interested.
It was like wanting an English premier league game and all that was on was MLS or Scottish championship o_O

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last time I ordered a new glove I got an Under Armour iso-chill, in small, and the size was perfect. Ordered two more this week, slightly different design but still called "iso-chill" so I just figured it was the newer version or something. They're too bloody small. Why change your sizing?? Have to return them now. Annoying.

not UA changing their sizing as such, they will probably come from a different factory, still be within the manufacturing tolerance but a slightly different shape/size etc. its why you can buy 2 shirts in the same size from the same brand and them actually come up differently

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
not UA changing their sizing as such, they will probably come from a different factory, still be within the manufacturing tolerance but a slightly different shape/size etc. its why you can buy 2 shirts in the same size from the same brand and them actually come up differently
Must be, yeah. The Snainton guy actually wrote back to me to be fair but he didn't know.
"I am sorry to hear there is a sizing issue with these gloves, in regards to answering your question there are 2 types as we have the current model (£12) and the previous model (£11.99) both available and if they fit differently I can only suggest maybe there has been a change of sizing or something I do not really know to be honest Olly but the reason we have 2 options are old and new models regarding the sizing only Under Armour could answer that."

Haha.

https://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/under-armour-iso-chill-golf-glove-ss22
https://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/under-armour-iso-chill-golf-glove

There they are. It's a shame the 11.99 is the old version, as I prefer the look of that one (that's the one I just ordered that were too small).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a weird weekend for telly golf. Must’ve only watched about an hours’ worth over the 4 days. Can’t recall when it was last as little as that. Just couldn’t get interested.
It was like wanting an English premier league game and all that was on was MLS or Scottish championship o_O

What not even the US Amateur champs?

Visit site
Played an away match the other day - was 2 up through 6, probably could/should have been more. The chap was pretty miserable through those holes and spent most of the time on his phone.

On the 7th, he advised to play up to the corner (blind tee shot/dog leg) - so I did. He then rips a shot straight over the corner… I’m thinking okay - but you just told me to do something different to that.

Then on the 9th - he advises to hit an iron, with a cut, at the marker post. So I do exactly that… He then rips a 3 wood up to the front edge of the green, my ball ends up in a bunker which I didn’t even know about.

Then on 13th, SI 1, giving a shot… he again advises an iron is about all you can hit, so I do - I turn around and he’s pulled a 3 wood and rips it down the middle for “nett 0”

I don’t think you can tell someone to do 1 thing, and not do that yourself… Surely? ?

He cheered up by the time he had the lead and my head had gone a little bit (albeit I did play some poor golf around the turn to let him back into it)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played an away match the other day - was 2 up through 6, probably could/should have been more. The chap was pretty miserable through those holes and spent most of the time on his phone.

On the 7th, he advised to play up to the corner (blind tee shot/dog leg) - so I did. He then rips a shot straight over the corner… I’m thinking okay - but you just told me to do something different to that.

Then on the 9th - he advises to hit an iron, with a cut, at the marker post. So I do exactly that… He then rips a 3 wood up to the front edge of the green, my ball ends up in a bunker which I didn’t even know about.

Then on 13th, SI 1, giving a shot… he again advises an iron is about all you can hit, so I do - I turn around and he’s pulled a 3 wood and rips it down the middle for “nett 0”

I don’t think you can tell someone to do 1 thing, and not do that yourself… Surely? ?

He cheered up by the time he had the lead and my head had gone a little bit (albeit I did play some poor golf around the turn to let him back into it)

You can't give (or ask for) advice full stop. Two shot penalty.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I believe asking or being shown the line is ok as is giving distances to bunkers/doglegs etc but nothing to do with the actual shot is..so advising to hit an iron with cut is definitely giving advice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry but why on earth would you be asking your opponent where to hit, let alone trust anything he says?? This is why you need a GPS app!

He'll be chatting with his mates now telling the hilarious story about the gullible match play opponent he had who kept doing as he was told. :LOL:

evemccc

Visit site

Sounds like not a great person to play with..

Can I ask why you followed his ‘advice’ the third time?

Visit site
Sorry but why on earth would you be asking your opponent where to hit, let alone trust anything he says?? This is why you need a GPS app!

He'll be chatting with his mates now telling the hilarious story about the gullible match play opponent he had who kept doing as he was told. :LOL:

Sounds like not a great person to play with..

Can I ask why you followed his ‘advice’ the third time?

The matches are competitive but the general principal is that they are played in good spirit and the social aspect is valued as much as the competitive aspect.

A lot of the time, the courses are new to the away member, so it’s pretty standard to give an explanation of the holes that aren’t “as you see it” or are blind from the tee.

We’re not talking about asking him to read putts or anything. It’s simply a bit of friendly help on the tee so it’s not completely blind to the away player.

It’s a minor irritation and nothing more, as it transpired the match was meaningless in the grand scheme of the day and we enjoyed a good laugh afterwards. I think he was a bit embarrassed about the one that ended up in the bunker, as he mentioned it afterwards and suggested he thought I’d make it well beyond the bunker with an iron based on my play to that point.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aim poles in the completely wrong place. Just put them on an actual line somebody would play, or get rid altogether!
Saw exactly this on the 13th at Pinner Hill last week. It's a par 5 slight dogleg right, the whole fairway slopes down to the left though. And the aiming post was just left of centre on the fairway - if you aimed at that your ball would 100% roll off the slope and into the left rough. I aimed about 15 yards right of it with fade, which ended up being the perfect line for the hole. As you say, pointless having it really.

venger

Visit site
Kid (early 20's) in front of me and other groups on Sunday, completely oblivious to anyone else on the course. For his pre shot routine it was a check with a GPS finder for distance, then back to the trolley to check which club, then five practice swings before he actually took the shot. the most annoying thing was that he was only hitting every shot about 150 yards. I believe the phrase is "All the gear, no idea"

I had no real issue, (the group behind us kept insisting the we let them play through and they would "encourage" him to speed up) I know that everyone has there own way of doing things, it was just very annoying on the day