Golf Random Irritations

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf clubs are businesses. If they didn't need to do this, they wouldn't. The fact that so many do suggests it works. Whatever the rationale, or supposed unfairness, if it makes more golf clubs financially viable in the long run, it's a good thing surely?

To a level yes. But it is where the cut off should be. Some are 25, some 28, 30, 34, 35 and some as high as 40.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Because the club wants to attract more members of a certain age bracket. As discussed. Ultimately if I then stay a member for long enough I end up paying the full rate, however the age-related rate got me in there in the first place.

Without a discount you wouldn't have taken up golf?

D

Deleted member 15344

Without a discount you wouldn't have taken up golf?

A lot of people wouldn’t have joined a club if they had to pay full whack right from the off - especially the younger generation, that’s just a researched fact. 6/8 years ago the sport was struggling , clubs were closing , young people weren’t taking up the sport because it wasn’t cost effective for them to do so. Things needed to change and that’s why many clubs looked at various ways to get younger people into the sport and into clubs and then keep them there.

It shouldn’t matter to others what a younger person pays - it’s there for a reason , same with the older generation paying less as well - as long as you think you are getting value for money then that’s all that matters.

If people have a better idea on getting younger people to take up the sport and join clubs then step forward

Just think if those younger people hadn’t joined ok reduce fees then how does the club fill the financial and member gap

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot of people wouldn’t have joined a club if they had to pay full whack right from the off - especially the younger generation, that’s just a researched fact. 6/8 years ago the sport was struggling , clubs were closing , young people weren’t taking up the sport because it wasn’t cost effective for them to do so. Things needed to change and that’s why many clubs looked at various ways to get younger people into the sport and into clubs and then keep them there.

It shouldn’t matter to others what a younger person pays - it’s there for a reason , same with the older generation paying less as well - as long as you think you are getting value for money then that’s all that matters.

If people have a better idea on getting younger people to take up the sport and join clubs then step forward

Just think if those younger people hadn’t joined ok reduce fees then how does the club fill the financial and member gap

Yes, golf was hit hard and something needed to be done. Clubs could have gone the other way and tried to attract the 50 + year olds who had maybe, recently given up football, cricket, rugby etc and offered no discounts to join but placed some of their first years fees to offer some lessons with the pro's. They probably wouldn't then leave when the fees went to full price. I'd be interested how many 20 to 30 year old members stay at the club, which offered a discount, to old age. I personally am content with 20 to 35 year olds getting a phased discount but not above that age.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, golf was hit hard and something needed to be done. Clubs could have gone the other way and tried to attract the 50 + year olds who had maybe, recently given up football, cricket, rugby etc and offered no discounts to join but placed some of their first years fees to offer some lessons with the pro's. They probably wouldn't then leave when the fees went to full price. I'd be interested how many 20 to 30 year old members stay at the club, which offered a discount, to old age. I personally am content with 20 to 35 year olds getting a phased discount but not above that age.

Why would you target that demographic when it’s not an area where clubs were having issues getting people in - 50 plus people aren’t going to be your future of the club - clubs already had the people that stopped playing cricket or rugby etc - that was already a core area of the club. Most clubs are full of those people already.

What clubs and golf wanted to bring back were the juniors that stopped or the people that wanted to start in their 20’s , get the age demographic down to get the image of the sport improved from being an old man’s game and being stuffy and expensive

When we started it we had 2 people aged and 18-30 and 3 30-40 - before lockdown we had increased to 25 18-30 and around 50 30-40 year olds , and bar the odd one most are still in the club and those hitting 40 stayed. Why does it matter if it’s 40 or 35 when it changes - it’s all incremental and the difference between 35 and 40 won’t be too significant

As i said those people filled empty spots , they didn’t stop others joining , and those empty spots brought in money that helps balance the fees

There is a reason why all the clubs bar the odd one do it

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why would you target that demographic when it’s not an area where clubs were having issues getting people in - 50 plus people aren’t going to be your future of the club - clubs already had the people that stopped playing cricket or rugby etc - that was already a core area of the club. Most clubs are full of those people already.

What clubs and golf wanted to bring back were the juniors that stopped or the people that wanted to start in their 20’s , get the age demographic down to get the image of the sport improved from being an old man’s game and being stuffy and expensive

When we started it we had 2 people aged and 18-30 and 3 30-40 - before lockdown we had increased to 25 18-30 and around 50 30-40 year olds , and bar the odd one most are still in the club and those hitting 40 stayed. Why does it matter if it’s 40 or 35 when it changes - it’s all incremental and the difference between 35 and 40 won’t be too significant

As i said those people filled empty spots , they didn’t stop others joining , and those empty spots brought in money that helps balance the fees

There is a reason why all the clubs bar the odd one do it

All I said was that they could (not should) have gone that way and it would have needed less new recruits to plug the financial gap, don't assume I felt it was the best way to go but a bunch of 50 year olds joining would have resolved the cash issues, there were clubs closing in my area and other clubs in the area were very happy to take on their ex members irrespective of age - no one said no to them as they wanted younger players. There was no doubt that the incentives given for younger players to join, and the scrapping of joining fees wasn't well received by a fair few members who, in some cases, had paid a fair sum to join and resented someone likely earning more than them getting a better deal, I was on committee and heard the complaints.

At the moment, golf is in a renaissance and lots of clubs are full so is there still a need to offer these discounts or are they so ingrained in golf that we would lose members in droves?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
At the moment, golf is in a renaissance and lots of clubs are full so is there still a need to offer these discounts or are they so ingrained in golf that we would lose members in droves?

The problem is the clubs experienced a boom during covid but as we return to normality the same issues that put people off before covid will rear their head again - less time due to commuting and work/family etc. Meaning a golf membership is underutilised and individuals decide that actually they can't afford to keep it.

I myself fall into the associate bracket and pay a discounted rate at my club. Fortunately my company has embraced working from home "post" covid and that means I can get out during the week after work. Also because I'm working from home i see far more of my partner and child which means I don't feel as guilty leaving the house for a round.

If I was working in the office, with a 45 minute each way commute, and a young family at home, AND paying full whack for a membership - I'd have to think very hard about whether or not it was worth it - to be honest I would probably not renew.

Of my regular playing group of 8 with a similar age I'd say that 3 are in the same boat and 2 will be soon once kids arrive etc.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem is the clubs experienced a boom during covid but as we return to normality the same issues that put people off before covid will rear their head again - less time due to commuting and work/family etc. Meaning a golf membership is underutilised and individuals decide that actually they can't afford to keep it.

I myself fall into the associate bracket and pay a discounted rate at my club. Fortunately my company has embraced working from home "post" covid and that means I can get out during the week after work. Also because I'm working from home i see far more of my partner and child which means I don't feel as guilty leaving the house for a round.

If I was working in the office, with a 45 minute each way commute, and a young family at home, AND paying full whack for a membership - I'd have to think very hard about whether or not it was worth it - to be honest I would probably not renew.

Of my regular playing group of 8 with a similar age I'd say that 3 are in the same boat and 2 will be soon once kids arrive etc.

It's my fear too that clubs will see a drop off again, for the reasons you highlight but also we are going into a recession and I think the £100 ' ish pounds per month for the pleasure of golf may be the sacrifice to pay for energy Bill's, food. Petrol etc etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They've just published next season's membership fees. 30-39 category has gone up by £135. Every other category has gone up by £75 at most. Not sure why they've identified our demographic to foot the bill. :mad:
But in all seriousness, have you asked the general manager or a board member for the rationale?
I have sent an email back trying to politely for the thinking besides our bracket getting a much bigger increase, yes. Not sure if I'll get a reply, I don't always.
SO.... funny story. The club pro/acting general manager contacted me this morning, first by email and then over the phone. It turns out our 'financial director' made a cock-up. He was meant to increase all bands by 5%. It must have simply been a typo in our subscription on the email that was sent out, or a miscalculation. Our subs were meant to be in the region of 1320 rather than 1390 he suggested. Corrected rates will be sent out shortly.

So there's a lesson - it's always worth asking questions. I nearly didn't. But honestly, what a shambles that is. Still irritating that they've made such a blunder.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
SO.... funny story. The club pro/acting general manager contacted me this morning, first by email and then over the phone. It turns out our 'financial director' made a cock-up. He was meant to increase all bands by 5%. It must have simply been a typo in our subscription on the email that was sent out, or a miscalculation. Our subs were meant to be in the region of 1320 rather than 1390 he suggested. Corrected rates will be sent out shortly.

So there's a lesson - it's always worth asking questions. I nearly didn't. But honestly, what a shambles that is. Still irritating that they've made such a blunder.

Typo or backtracking following complaints

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Typo or backtracking following complaints
Well, I don't know. It was the pro/acting gen manager who picked up my email but it wasn't him who sent the original email about the fees, that was addressed from the chairman - it's just that the replies go into some central inbox which he often seems to pick up. And his first response was "Sorry pal that’s just made me check with the financial director as considerably more than the 5%! Soon as I hear I’ll let you know." He's a sound bloke and I can believe he agreed with me and thought that something was wrong. Possible that the 'financial director' or the chairman was just trying it on and thought that a smaller section like ours wouldn't complain. Who knows. Our club can be a bit disorganised or haphazard I think, so I can believe it was a genuine error.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well, I don't know. It was the pro/acting gen manager who picked up my email but it wasn't him who sent the original email about the fees, that was addressed from the chairman - it's just that the replies go into some central inbox which he often seems to pick up. And his first response was "Sorry pal that’s just made me check with the financial director as considerably more than the 5%! Soon as I hear I’ll let you know." He's a sound bloke and I can believe he agreed with me and thought that something was wrong. Possible that the 'financial director' or the chairman was just trying it on and thought that a smaller section like ours wouldn't complain. Who knows. Our club can be a bit disorganised or haphazard I think, so I can believe it was a genuine error.

Either way, good to see them take responsibility and that they are taking action

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This one was for my playing partner in the East Devon Open yesterday.

Par 4 2nd and he's got a 15 foot downhiller for birdie. Hits it, gust of wind blows and doubles the speed, ball goes past the hole, 10 feet past, down a slope and he winds up with a 50 footer back for par.

I'll also throw in the gust that hit me at the top of my swing on the most exposed par-4 tee and I did well to hit it about 50 yards.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

And I thought my subs were expensive.