Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Maybe it's got nothing to do with any assumption of wealth? Maybe it's more about a price based on estimated usage of the course?
I'll bet the average 30 year old member gets to play far less golf than the average 70 year old member, simply due to having less available time.
More use =higher justified cost. Maybe?
What about the average 30 year old vs the average 40 year old..?

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with most of the ideas. The issue is where is the cutoff from non-full-paying memberships. I think 40 is too high and around 28 to 30 about fair.

It depends on how the club does it - most do it incremental so each year there is a small increase until they hit the highest level , it’s the same when members hit 70 and then they start to get small reductions

It’s membership categories for the time of life and based on a multiple items

phillarrow

Visit site

Yeah that's why I said maybe? ??‍♂️?

I still find it hard to believe that it's based on a presumption of spare income to be honest. That just doesn't make any sense to me. ?‍♂️

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's got nothing to do with any assumption of wealth? Maybe it's more about a price based on estimated usage of the course?
I'll bet the average 30 year old member gets to play far less golf than the average 70 year old member, simply due to having less available time.

But probably not less than the 40 to 55 or 60 age groups. I have seen a massive upsurge in play at my club and it is driven by the under 40s. Every club is different but that is certainly true at our place

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Its difficult to assume anything to do with golf. I see the same lads playing quite regularly, as I do retired members, I also know some young, and old, who can only play once a week, due to various reasons which may be time available, fitness, work etc etc. Some members are happy to play only a few times a year as the fees aren't an issue, one of my younger playing mates only manages about 40 rounds a year, another of similar age manages three time that. You pays your money you takes your chance!

D

Deleted member 15344

Can only go by our tee bookings and others that have submitted to membership workshops but the age groups playing the most rounds are

65 plus - average 3 times a week
40 - 65 - average 2.5 times a week
30 - 40 average twice a week
18-30 - average 1.5 times a week

the juniors (under 18 ) - during school holidays are around 5 times a week

There is also seasonal changes with many more 40 plus playing evening golf

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Can only go by our tee bookings and others that have submitted to membership workshops but the age groups playing the most rounds are

65 plus - average 3 times a week
40 - 65 - average 2.5 times a week
30 - 40 average twice a week
18-30 - average 1.5 times a week

the juniors (under 18 ) - during school holidays are around 5 times a week

There is also seasonal changes with many more 40 plus playing evening golf

So it's quite likely that the 40 to 65 plus are bringing in much more income to the club with more bar spend, club match contributions, dinners etc if they spend more time at their clubs

D

Deleted member 15344

So it's quite likely that the 40 to 65 plus are bringing in much more income to the club with more bar spend, club match contributions, dinners etc if they spend more time at their clubs

Not necessarily so - and it’s certainly not the case for us , the top 3 spenders behind the bar at our place have been under 40 , playing golf and being at the club doesn’t automatically mean they spend more money behind the bar - the lowest spenders behind the bar are the over 65’s

All this stuff including incremental fees etc has been done after a lot of research and work - it’s not just about giving people cheap golf

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily so - and it’s certainly not the case for us , the top 3 spenders behind the bar at our place have been under 40 , playing golf and being at the club doesn’t automatically mean they spend more money behind the bar - the lowest spenders behind the bar are the over 65’s

All this stuff including incremental fees etc has been done after a lot of research and work - it’s not just about giving people cheap golf
At my club, most older members go in for a tea , coffee or something stronger after their round 3 or 4 times a week.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The PGA Tour website leaderboard being about 30 minutes out of date with the live action. Usually it is a lot more accurate and up to date

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

3 under 40's may be, it's likely to be the same at mine on an individual basis but that doesnt mean that the overall top spenders are under 40's as a whole, and the reduced membership should be included as part of that calculation. Also, if under 40's spend most in the bar is it safe to assume they can afford to pay more for the golf?

I agree it's not intended to be "giving people cheap golf ", it's about attracting a younger demographic which is a good thing for clubs, if they can retain those members when the fees reach the full amount. But my real point is that it is clearly a discount

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My logic is that anyone who gets a discount means that others are paying for it. The bit on earnings is just that people are generally good earners in their 30s and should not not to be subsidised. I think it is fair for people starting their career, up to late 20s for the good of the club and the game but a line needs drawing. The debate is where to draw that line
Many people entering their 30s are buying houses, having kids, don't have much disposable income if any. This will be why there are discounts to attract people in their 30s. The cut off does vary by club, I've more often seen it up to 35 for the clubs in my area. My club having it up to 39 was part of the appeal for me, since it benefits me obviously. Although not as much now as it did. :LOL:
My new fee will be 1390, up from 1255. Last year's full membership was 1450 (now 1525) so looking at it that way, it's not much of a discount anymore.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Many people entering their 30s are buying houses, having kids, don't have much disposable income if any. This will be why there are discounts to attract people in their 30s. The cut off does vary by club, I've more often seen it up to 35 for the clubs in my area. My club having it up to 39 was part of the appeal for me, since it benefits me obviously. Although not as much now as it did. :LOL:
My new fee will be 1390, up from 1255. Last year's full membership was 1450 (now 1525) so looking at it that way, it's not much of a discount anymore.

It was no different when I was in my 30' s - I couldn't think of playing golf, and, most clubs had a waiting list and joining fee.

Why should you get a discount at 38 over a 39 year old earning less than you ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was no different when I was in my 30' s - I couldn't think of playing golf, and, most clubs had a waiting list and joining fee.

Why should you get a discount at 38 over a 39 year old earning less than you ?
Because the club wants to attract more members of a certain age bracket. As discussed. Ultimately if I then stay a member for long enough I end up paying the full rate, however the age-related rate got me in there in the first place.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

And so do older people. You are well onto adulthood and careers by 30, let alone 40, when you could have grandkids. What other areas of life do people entering or approaching middle age get age- related discounts? Council tax, electricity bills, health clubs etc, etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And so do older people. You are well onto adulthood and careers by 30, let alone 40, when you could have grandkids. What other areas of life do people entering or approaching middle age get age- related discounts? Council tax, electricity bills, health clubs etc, etc
Well none of those things are in need of attracting a younger customer base are they?

phillarrow

Visit site
Golf clubs are businesses. If they didn't need to do this, they wouldn't. The fact that so many do suggests it works. Whatever the rationale, or supposed unfairness, if it makes more golf clubs financially viable in the long run, it's a good thing surely?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Seniors comp this morning. The greens were covered in pitch marks and half the bunkers are full of footprints.