Golf Random Irritations

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
SO.... funny story. The club pro/acting general manager contacted me this morning, first by email and then over the phone. It turns out our 'financial director' made a cock-up. He was meant to increase all bands by 5%. It must have simply been a typo in our subscription on the email that was sent out, or a miscalculation. Our subs were meant to be in the region of 1320 rather than 1390 he suggested. Corrected rates will be sent out shortly.

So there's a lesson - it's always worth asking questions. I nearly didn't. But honestly, what a shambles that is. Still irritating that they've made such a blunder.

You'll be able to afford to join the roll up then?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played today in shotgun start. One of the 4 ball is notoriously doxy, so after our first hole I checked he'd written our score in the right box. He wasn't chuffed I had.

After 6 holes, there was a discussion of how many points to score because of stroke index... of course, he had written the first score in space for hole 1.

3 holes from the end he hit a low slice bullet towards our trolleys, it hit mine square on the rotating switch, knocking it flying. So I have a broken trolley that I have to push for rest of round. I also have to suss where to get new switch. Grrr

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My friend and recent matchplay doubles partner is having shoulder surgery at some point in the coming months (he has dislocated it a number of times). There is a betterball knockout starting in April, so out of courtesy I just double-checked that he wouldn't be able to enter before asking our other friend. But bafflingly, he thinks he'll only take two weeks to recover from it. Even though he's having 6 months signed off from work. And he works in a hospital. So he thinks we should sign up, and I don't really know whether to do it or not. Wish I hadn't asked. :unsure:

I think you do know what to do. Just for clarification, you ask your other friend, and may I suggest, you give this one a rocket!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course has has a notice on the booking thing that we will be off mats all winter as they will be doing work on the all the teeing areas. Did they? Nope.
And whilst I'm on, greens staff doing nothing to repair greens damaged by birds pecking and making hole, but moan about unrepaired pitch marks.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saturday roll up we pay out first and second and they have a handicap cut for the following 3 weeks (2 shots for winning and 1 for second). It has really helped spread the cash around.
Shouldn't this be in the laughter thread?.....You know amongst the jokes that are allegedly funny because they make no sense :unsure:

Q - How much does the winner take home after buying everyone a drink?

A - He gets a handicap cut.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shouldn't this be in the laughter thread?.....You know amongst the jokes that are allegedly funny because they make no sense :unsure:

And he'll be delighted with that if it lessens his chance of winning again and being out of pocket. :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Well if the winner paid for a round of drinks then of course he'd be out of pocket. Sadly you are mixing up the Saturday roll up where first and second take the cash and a cut is applied accordingly with the Sunday (bigger roll up) where the winner buys the drinks and the lowest score of the days acts as his "bitch" and has to order and serve all the drinks and clear the glasses down for the bar staff. This has a much bigger pot as it is £4 as opposed to £3 on a Saturday and on usually once a few have gone (if they are an early group and have stuff on, or people only wanting a single/quick drink) then the average take home AFTER the drinks is around £35-45 pounds.

Maybe get the facts right before making such mocking comments that are erroneous

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well if the winner paid for a round of drinks then of course he'd be out of pocket. Sadly you are mixing up the Saturday roll up where first and second take the cash and a cut is applied accordingly with the Sunday (bigger roll up) where the winner buys the drinks and the lowest score of the days acts as his "bitch" and has to order and serve all the drinks and clear the glasses down for the bar staff. This has a much bigger pot as it is £4 as opposed to £3 on a Saturday and on usually once a few have gone (if they are an early group and have stuff on, or people only wanting a single/quick drink) then the average take home AFTER the drinks is around £35-45 pounds.

Maybe get the facts right before making such mocking comments that are erroneous

:ROFLMAO:

I'm not mixing anything up, you gave an answer to a different question than was asked :rolleyes:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Receiving notification a week before an open I booked ages ago that the prize giving now requires Jacket and tie as it’s in the clubhouse lounge.
If I’d of known I wouldn’t of booked with this company and booked with GAGT and their date instead.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
:ROFLMAO:

I'm not mixing anything up, you gave an answer to a different question than was asked :rolleyes:

Nope. I've explained the two roll ups many times and the fact winner takes all on Sunday

The implication the winner goes home out of pocket and with a handicap cut. You are simply wrong. No handicap cuts in the Sunday roll up and no - the winner never goes home losing money and always comes out in front. It's why we put it up to £4 as the fields were getting bigger and the margins were getting smaller. The Saturday roll up the first and second take the money paid and get a cut.

Very simple and answers the Q & A you raised. Playing the poster again and not seeing the answer you want to see

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope. I've explained the two roll ups many times and the fact winner takes all on Sunday
Bleeding heck! I hope you aren't responsible for allocating drugs at work!:eek:
Nothing wrong with your answer, apart from the fact that it had nothing to do with the actual question! :rolleyes:
Very simple and answers the Q & A you raised. Playing the poster again and not seeing the answer you want to see
And again...The answer had nothing to do with the actual question! As pointed out in the immediate reply!:rolleyes: