Golf Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Midweek comp next week. Go to book

Hours worth of tee times (when I'm free) taken up by a society

Appreciate society is a much needed revenue but it's the way the "golf operations" manager doesn't understand what his members want.

He reckons moving the comp (in future not this time as this is 3rd time they have done it now) isn't a good idea as he is former handicap sec blah blah

Yet one of the current handicap sec is my playing partner and he is fuming about it and says the comp should just be moved.

Comps are published for the year. Societies are booked in, really shouldn't book on that day but if it causes an issue just move the comp and send an email to say it's been moved. I mean the societies appear before we are allowed to book... So that's enough notice.

The reply I got seemed like he thinks everyone who plays in the midweek comps is retired and can play when they want. Majority I know who play in them play around work or school run so the 10-11 slot is when they book

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Folk whinging about our rebuilt bunkers, both in respect of their severe faces and the sand.

It‘s clear to me that most times a ball gets into a terrible place in a bunker is due to a terrible shot (though in truth there is more chance of an ok shot getting trapped against a face by an idiotically placed rake). Thin a shot straight into a bunker then chances are it’ll plug where it hits, and if that is close to a face making a shot very difficult indeed, then is that the bunkers fault? No it’s not. Tough. Rub of green. But no, the moaning I hear.

And as far as the sand…well it strikes me that the problem is their technique as I have no issues whatsoever getting out (and I was never a great bunker player until I learned what bounce was for)…as neither do those with it seems even a vaguely half decent technique. In fact, that the sand is now pretty consistent across all bunkers makes things much more down to technique than my having to consider type or depth of sand.

But we know that, for whinging, bunkers are pretty much always member enemy #1

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Midweek comp next week. Go to book

Hours worth of tee times (when I'm free) taken up by a society

Appreciate society is a much needed revenue but it's the way the "golf operations" manager doesn't understand what his members want.

He reckons moving the comp (in future not this time as this is 3rd time they have done it now) isn't a good idea as he is former handicap sec blah blah

Yet one of the current handicap sec is my playing partner and he is fuming about it and says the comp should just be moved.

Comps are published for the year. Societies are booked in, really shouldn't book on that day but if it causes an issue just move the comp and send an email to say it's been moved. I mean the societies appear before we are allowed to book... So that's enough notice.

The reply I got seemed like he thinks everyone who plays in the midweek comps is retired and can play when they want. Majority I know who play in them play around work or school run so the 10-11 slot is when they book

In a similar vein we had 5 societies on course on Sunday. Essentially 9am until 2pm blocked out.

I was toying with the idea of a quick afternoon round but I'd have been looking at a 4 hour round with that many out in front - Even setting off an hour after them.

I do understand that societies are a massively important part of our clubs revenue but 5 on a Sunday sticks in the teeth a bit for members who struggle to get out during the week.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a similar vein we had 5 societies on course on Sunday. Essentially 9am until 2pm blocked out.

I was toying with the idea of a quick afternoon round but I'd have been looking at a 4 hour round with that many out in front - Even setting off an hour after them.

I do understand that societies are a massively important part of our clubs revenue but 5 on a Sunday sticks in the teeth a bit for members who struggle to get out during the week.

That's the thing I fully appreciate societies are needed

And on Thursday if it wasn't the comp and I saw the society I'd just play 9 holes instead or the same 9 twice stay out their way

But a comp is set in stone you can't cut holes out

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Ops Mngr is being an arse! Past role as H'cp Sec is (virtually) irelevant!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a day out yesterday with some mates at muni over near Southend (they like it cos its cheap ...) A few interesting enough holes, but it was in a public "country" park and the condition was meh. The bunkers had more footprints in the sand than a Saharan camel farm, and putting on the greens was like trying to putt across a sheeps back. Made me remember why I prefer to spend a few more quid on a green fee.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Felt rough yesterday, tested negative. Big temperature fluctuations this morning, tested positive ?. Tomorrow was going to be my first comp at my new club, weather looking great. Very irritating.

D

Deleted member 3432

Putting name down in the comp for the afternoon and nobody playing after 2pm.

Unexpected practice session as solo golf is of no interest to me :mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Putting name down in the comp for the afternoon and nobody playing after 2pm.

Unexpected practice session as solo golf is of no interest to me :mad:

Shame. We have drawn comps for the most part. For those with a roll up element after the last drawn times, it is normally easy to find some PP's and we have a whatsapp group for our weekend roll up group so normally able to find someone via that to play

D

Deleted member 3432

Shame. We have drawn comps for the most part. For those with a roll up element after the last drawn times, it is normally easy to find some PP's and we have a whatsapp group for our weekend roll up group so normally able to find someone via that to play

I suspect BH weekend had something to do with it.

Took the boy for his golf lesson this morning at the range near our house and didn't particularly want to dash off to Silloth straight away. Usually always somebody playing at end of comp so not a problem most weeks. Just annoying that it was a nice day and absolutely flat calm which is very rare indeed up here so a good opportunity for a low round missed.

Upside was a couple of quality hours practice. First time working on my chipping since the end of last season and its much needed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Must have missed 10 putts of under 6 foot yesterday. Not good that putting has gone AWOL at this specific point in time with a final to play tomorrow. I suppose I just hope it hears it’s needed at home and hastens back.

oleinone

Visit site
Casual four ball. 18th par 5 fairway bunker mini diggered at low end to sort out drainage problem. Big pile of sand from front to back. Knocked 3rd shot into said pile with ball found sitting on fairway edge.Suggested that I should get relief. Response was either play from where it was with 3 ft sand pile inches away or drop in bunker. Pretty mean spirited I thought!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
JT's Trousers/joggers or whatever the hell they are......
Jeez, I hope this isn't going to become a trend...
Should be arrested for crimes against......well...everything...

The joys of social media means I know my opponent in my club knockout game next week is fully paid up member of the anti hoodie and jogger brigade.

So that’s my outfit sorted!