Golf Random Irritations

RichA

Visit site
Being left in a 2 ball, behind 14 3 balls in tomorrow’s competition. Whilst being one of the quicker players at the club, playing alongside another low handicap quick golfer…

Sign ups for comps open two weeks in advance, and the chap who has withdrawn had his name down within 10 seconds of the tee times opening up.

He’s now decided, less than 24 hours before the comp, that he can’t make it…

It also happened to me for our first competition of the year (different member) and this is only the second comp…

I get not being able to play, but if you’re so disorganised that you don’t know your Saturday plans until the day before, you probably shouldn’t be reserving a prime tee time 2 weeks in advance.
People have kids, elderly parents, etc. Sometimes you put your name down in hope of playing but something crops up in your real life that takes precedence over your hobby.
Or he's just a dick.

Visit site
People have kids, elderly parents, etc. Sometimes you put your name down in hope of playing but something crops up in your real life that takes precedence over your hobby.
Or he's just a dick.

Completely agree, things can happen that take priority over a relatively meaningless round of golf. I don’t know his circumstances, and really I’m just annoyed to play a 2 ball which will involve a serious amount of waiting around as that’s not when I am likely to play my best golf.

RichA

Visit site
Completely agree, things can happen that take priority over a relatively meaningless round of golf. I don’t know his circumstances, and really I’m just annoyed to play a 2 ball which will involve a serious amount of waiting around as that’s not when I am likely to play my best golf.
I get it. Hopefully the guy you've been drawn to spend 4 1/2 hours with is good company. Good luck.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Midweek comp next week. Go to book

Hours worth of tee times (when I'm free) taken up by a society

Appreciate society is a much needed revenue but it's the way the "golf operations" manager doesn't understand what his members want.

He reckons moving the comp (in future not this time as this is 3rd time they have done it now) isn't a good idea as he is former handicap sec blah blah

Yet one of the current handicap sec is my playing partner and he is fuming about it and says the comp should just be moved.

Comps are published for the year. Societies are booked in, really shouldn't book on that day but if it causes an issue just move the comp and send an email to say it's been moved. I mean the societies appear before we are allowed to book... So that's enough notice.

The reply I got seemed like he thinks everyone who plays in the midweek comps is retired and can play when they want. Majority I know who play in them play around work or school run so the 10-11 slot is when they book

So since this email my mate (who is the newest handicap committee member) pushed for more

So not only will comps be moved

We are getting 2 9 hole comps a month (mid week) and 1 18 hole ...so 1 extra comp a month mid week

Think the "golf operations manager" was put in his place

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being left in a 2 ball, behind 14 3 balls in tomorrow’s competition. Whilst being one of the quicker players at the club, playing alongside another low handicap quick golfer…

Sign ups for comps open two weeks in advance, and the chap who has withdrawn had his name down within 10 seconds of the tee times opening up.

It also happened to me for our first competition of the year (different member) and this is only the second comp…

I get not being able to play, but if you’re so disorganised that you don’t know your Saturday plans until the day before, you probably shouldn’t be reserving a prime tee time 2 weeks in advance.
I had to pull out of tomorrow’s comp this morning. My right foot started to hurt on Wednesday and unfortunately it’s not eased up enough to enable me to play. I’m gutted as it’s our first qualifier of the year.

Visit site

Panic over... Someone has jumped into the empty space!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ready golf. Could almost start a separate thread. Played today in the first medal. 2 guys off 6 and 12 and they were having none of it. I was easily the shortest from the tee and we had lost a hole and I suggested I go first. Also putting out when close to a hole when one player had shanked.

They we’re having none of it in a competition stating they had earned the honor, end of story. It was OK in friendly/ knock around games.

Found it difficult to believe, both experienced members, living in the past.

Any thoughts and how do I change their minds ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Ready golf. Could almost start a separate thread. Played today in the first medal. 2 guys off 6 and 12 and they were having none of it. I was easily the shortest from the tee and we had lost a hole and I suggested I go first. Also putting out when close to a hole when one player had shanked.

They we’re having none of it in a competition stating they had earned the honor, end of story. It was OK in friendly/ knock around games.

I used to play with a short hitter. For years he’d tee off first, just so we could get moving quicker.
The honour means nothing to me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the more you play the better you're supposed to get. Been playing more than ever lately with the longer evenings and my wife keen to play more, yet I seem to be getting worse and worse.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

Been awhile since I’ve heard honour off the tee. Putting order or tee box order hasn’t ever come up in discussion for a long time and I don’t play with the same people or the same club majority of the time.

I don’t think you can change their minds, just don’t play with them again. Moan about them in the bar and pro shop and hope a “how to ready golf” email appears in their inbox.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Just tell them that the alternative is to let the following group through - as the group had lost a hole (which I actually doubt btw)!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coming 3rd in a field of 120+ in a board comp. Dug deep and tried to stay patient in 25 mph winds and 35/40 mph gusts......Whats irritating about this???? Well, my handicap went up :rolleyes::eek:.
Level par nett won the competition , not one person broke par. If only WHS did reductions only.

Boomy

Visit site
Henni Whatsherface! It used to be that the benefit of recording the golf then watching it back was that you can fast forward/skip the adverts.. now I use it more to skip passed her depressing commentary/drivel.