Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They've just published next season's membership fees. 30-39 category has gone up by £135. Every other category has gone up by £75 at most. Not sure why they've identified our demographic to foot the bill. :mad:

D

Deleted member 29109

They've just published next season's membership fees. 30-39 category has gone up by £135. Every other category has gone up by £75 at most. Not sure why they've identified our demographic to foot the bill. :mad:

Don’t think you’ll get much sympathy on here. Don’t forget you can afford a smart phone and a new car you can afford golf membership.
Not my thoughts, but the thoughts and comments you are likely to get from people who play the most but also get discounted fees.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t think you’ll get much sympathy on here. Don’t forget you can afford a smart phone and a new car you can afford golf membership.
Not my thoughts, but the thoughts and comments you are likely to get from people who play the most but also get discounted fees.
I figured memberships would all go up, just don't understand why 30-39 has gone up the most by far. There are categories above (full) and also below (20s, 5-day, etc) that one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I figured memberships would all go up, just don't understand why 30-39 has gone up the most by far. There are categories above (full) and also below (20s, 5-day, etc) that one.
Maybe your category went up by a smaller amount a year or 2 back and they're resetting the balance...

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have The Masters on whilst working from home. I’m already bored to death with the non-stop talk and coverage about Tiger. I never knew that he’s had back surgery, knee surgery, and nearly had his leg amputated after a near fatal car crash. Part of me wants him to miss the cut so that they will stop the incessant hype. Do they know that there are another 89 competitors taking part? The only thing that they haven’t shown is the outside of the ?house door whilst he takes his pre-round dump.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I have The Masters on whilst working from home. I’m already bored to death with the non-stop talk and coverage about Tiger. I never knew that he’s had back surgery, knee surgery, and nearly had his leg amputated after a near fatal car crash. Part of me wants him to miss the cut so that they will stop the incessant hype. Do they know that there are another 89 competitors taking part? The only thing that they haven’t shown is the outside of the ?house door whilst he takes his pre-round dump.

I had no idea tiger was playing

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Because any time anyone treis to up the fees for the younger age groups ther hear cries of 'think of the children' and 'how will the game develop and expand' whilst if you up the fees for the older members it is cries of 'we are on fixed incomes' (look at the cars in the car part on seniors days) and we are the lifeblood of the club and been loyal for decades (yet are the ones with flasks of tee in the clubhouse and bring their own sandwiches) and so they take the easy option and sting the middle aged working members who they know have to pay if the wnat a game on a weekend and are unlikley to go off to another sport.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As good as it is to see him back playing, I feel it's incredibly disrespectful to the rest of the field..
Tiger is not bigger than Golf...

To give the media credit, in some aspects he is. Simple fact is that you will watch/listen to the masters as an avid golf fan. Tiger Woods is about the only golfer who may get non-golf fans to watch or lesser golf fans to subscribe to a sport chanel of for the week. Sad state of affairs but pretty accurate I guess so, as far as promotion, marketing, selling ads and selling subscriptions are concerned, Tiger is bigger than golf.

Mandofred

Visit site
I hope Tiger has a crap round today...whether he sticks around I don't care. I knew they would spend a lot of time talking about him, but is it really any different from (fill in your star football player) athletes who gets almost all of the attention even though they've got lots of teammates?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't think over 30s should get any discount. Taking the urine really and means the over 40s are subsidising them when many in 30-40 age group will be at peak earnings

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think over 30s should get any discount. Taking the urine really and means the over 40s are subsidising them when many in 30-40 age group will be at peak earnings

Personally think that every member over 25 (gives enough time to finsih education and start working) should pay exactly the same. No other age benefits, no benefits based on gender and no 5 day or other options. That would be fair as everyone contributes exactly the same to the running and upkeep of the club.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally think that every member over 25 (gives enough time to finsih education and start working) should pay exactly the same. No other age benefits, no benefits based on gender and no 5 day or other options. That would be fair as everyone contributes exactly the same to the running and upkeep of the club.

I agree with that. Maybe up to 28 max

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with that. Maybe up to 28 max

Sounds fair, happy for a subsidised membership until people have had a chance to get their life going. There after, same for everyone (and if I were feeling particularly egalitarian, a lottery every year for lockers and trolley parking)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I was going to be flippant and suggest that the fuddy-duddies have been alarmed at the number of new members in the 30-39 age range, and want to put a stop to any danger of further dilution of their much-loved traditions.

But in all seriousness, have you asked the general manager or a board member for the rationale?

D

Deleted member 15344

Touch of short sightedness going on and also I suspect a lack of understanding of the demographic of golf

Many clubs around the last 10 years offered reduced memberships for the under 40’s for a reason - there was a distinct lack of them at the golf club and clubs needed to bring in younger people so many clubs offered reduced and incremental yearly subs

There is a false perception that under 30 or 40 have this big pot of money to spend - not true , many are starting careers , buying first house , starting family , paying Uni fees etc and whilst they have reduced fees I bet a lot of them don’t play as much as the over 40 plus players

Clubs will look to balance things but imo clubs will and should continue to look to bring in members for the future and that includes reduced fees

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but going to have to put 'seniors' into the randon golf irritation category. (And I qualify by age ...)

But, gawd they are slow. Played in the monthly seniors stableford about 2 weeks ago and lost the will to live by about the 4th hole. So slow that I swore 'never again' - but relented enough to play in this week's seniors inter-club match. Think I watched two whole tins of paint dry. Good job I played well enough to ensure our 4ball match finished on the 13th otherwise I'd have missed lunch. (Have withdrawn from next week's match as I fear I'd harm someone ...)