Golf Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 3432

playing 4 games on the trot and looking like youve never touched a club before in your last game

I've been playing 40 years and in the last couple of years there have been a lot of games where it looks like I have hit a ball before :mad::ROFLMAO:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had to cut the lawn today and there was a breeze, but it was plenty warm enough for shorts in the garden - now wondering if it's too windy for them when I head out for a few holes on the links at quarter past three this afternoon :coffee: - if shorts are being utilised then I need to get my sock game right.

Mandofred

Visit site
Had to cut the lawn today and there was a breeze, but it was plenty warm enough for shorts in the garden - now wondering if it's too windy for them when I head out for a few holes on the links at quarter past three this afternoon :coffee: - if shorts are being utilised then I need to get my sock game right.
Just cut mine....2nd time. Getting some sharp sand on Monday that I'm spreading on the lawn....so wanted the lawn short enough so I wouldn't have to mow for a while. A nice day it certainly is......

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Just cut mine....2nd time. Getting some sharp sand on Monday that I'm spreading on the lawn....so wanted the lawn short enough so I wouldn't have to mow for a while. A nice day it certainly is......
I don't have a lot of grass and found last year that cutting it twice a week made it really easy - quarter of an hour job once the first couple of cuts are done.

D

Deleted Member 1156

They've done it for worldwide translation as "all square" and "a half" don't make sense when translated literally.
There is probably a minority group somewhere that represents 0.00000000000000000001% of the population that takes offence to the terms "all square" or "a half".

sunshine

Visit site
Dell Matchplay "Match is tied" No it isn't, it's ALL SQUARE!

It's your irritation, and you are perfectly entitled to be irritated by it.

But using a common phrase like "tied" makes much more sense when presenting to a large audience. Using obscure golf jargon makes the game impenetrable to casual fans.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
They've done it for worldwide translation as "all square" and "a half" don't make sense when translated literally.
Same with "birdie" & "par" then. Perhaps they should be saying "this putt for one less than would be scored by a player of above average ability reaching the green in the prescribed number of strokes & taking one putt"

Mandofred

Visit site
If had a conversation with an advanced physicist, if they don't speak in terms I understand all I'm going to hear is "blah blah blahblah blah". If they want me to understand what they are talking about, they will need to speak in way that I will understand. Par, birdie, eagle....for heavens sake....albatross isn't something non-golfers will understand. Putting things in terms that anybody can understand makes sense to me.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If had a conversation with an advanced physicist, if they don't speak in terms I understand all I'm going to hear is "blah blah blahblah blah". If they want me to understand what they are talking about, they will need to speak in way that I will understand. Par, birdie, eagle....for heavens sake....albatross isn't something non-golfers will understand. Putting things in terms that anybody can understand makes sense to me.

But part of the enjoyment of watching something new is learning about it, including its language.

(I don't think understanding "all square" is quite on the same level as understanding advanced physics, but even if I were learning advanced physics I'd want to learn some of the correct terms.)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with saying the match is tied. What a crazy thing to get worked up about! Everyone knows what it means. It's just another way of saying the same thing. Some golf fans are really super protective of their traditions aren't they? ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with saying the match is tied. What a crazy thing to get worked up about! Everyone knows what it means. It's just another way of saying the same thing. Some golf fans are really super protective of their traditions aren't they? ?
There is a lot of 'old man shouts at cloud' on this forum.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
They still say "par, birdie, eagle" It's a bit easier than mastering physics to learn a few basic terms if you're even mildly interested in what's going on. Every sport had its own terminology. In 60 years I've never heard "tied" applied in golf. Just another case of the Yanks mangling our mother tongue.

D

Deleted member 3432

They still say "par, birdie, eagle" It's a bit easier than mastering physics to learn a few basic terms if you're even mildly interested in what's going on. Every sport had its own terminology. In 60 years I've never heard "tied" applied in golf. Just another case of the Yanks mangling our mother tongue.

Got to remember they are catering to an audience that thinks 'mashed potato' is a golfing term so they are trying to keep it as simple as possible for Joe Sixpack.