Golf Random Irritations

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
people who don't shout fore

as we are approuching the 12 green yesterday ball comes flying from the 5th tee 100 yards off line onto the green and bounces past us, as we walked around the edge another ball lands on the 13th tee then bounces onto the 12th green, two young guys (20s)wander over, asked them why they didn't shout, just met with silence and a blank look.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I watched a video on a Youtube Golf Channel (well I tried to watch it through but couldn't finish it) and the guys were discussing 'what's in my bag' - and they were going deep into the golfing tech around the shafts, clubheads, weightings, lofts etc etc. and why he had this and not that - the detailed whys and wherefores. Not only am I sooo not interested in golf tech - it does my my head in to the extent that the prospect of being faced with it when I'm getting my new irons and driver next month fills me with dread - almost off-putting.

I just want a set of golf clubs that I can make work for me. My pro and fitter can keep all of the tech stuff to themselves - if I do not need to know then maybe I just do not want to know. Just find and fit me with something that I can work with towards getting my HI down and that will last me at least five, but ideally ten, years. That's all I want.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched a video on a Youtube Golf Channel (well I tried to watch it through but couldn't finish it) and the guys were discussing 'what's in my bag' - and they were going deep into the golfing tech around the shafts, clubheads, weightings, lofts etc etc. and why he had this and not that - the detailed whys and wherefores. Not only am I sooo not interested in golf tech - it does my my head in to the extent that the prospect of being faced with it when I'm getting my new irons and driver next month fills me with dread - almost off-putting.

I just want a set of golf clubs that I can make work for me. My pro and fitter can keep all of the tech stuff to themselves - if I do not need to know then maybe I just do not want to know. Just find and fit me with something that I can work with towards getting my HI down and that will last me at least five, but ideally ten, years. That's all I want.
What is the irritation here? If you tell your fitter you didn't need the technical jargon then he won't give it to you. If you just want whatever works works, then that's what you'll get. Or else you've gone to the wrong fitter I suppose.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What is the irritation here? If you tell your fitter you didn't need the technical jargon then he won't give it to you. If you just want whatever works works, then that's what you'll get. Or else you've gone to the wrong fitter I suppose.
The irritation is that I find the implication that somehow the tech stuff is really important and stuff I should know and care about when buying golf clubs - that I couldn't possibly buy new clubs without that understanding.

Of course I suspect that I don't need to know this stuff - which makes it all the more irritating that I feel that some think I should - and that we handicap golfers seem jolly good at making something that is inherently very simple seem very complex - remember this is just my feeling and I do not suggest for one second that it might apply to anyone else - I know it's probably just me - which is why it's a random irritation :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The irritation is that I find the implication that somehow the tech stuff is really important and stuff I should know and care about when buying golf clubs - that I couldn't possibly buy new clubs without that understanding.

Of course I suspect that I don't need to know this stuff - which makes it all the more irritating that I feel that some think I should - and that we handicap golfers seem jolly good at making something that is inherently very simple seem very complex - remember this is just my feeling and I do not suggest for one second that it might apply to anyone else - I know it's probably just me - which is why it's a random irritation :)
That's fine, it just sounded like you were irritated about something that hadn't even happened yet. :LOL: It's horses for courses - some like to know every detail, some don't. The best thing about a fitting is that you can let someone else think about that on your behalf. :D

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've been playing golf for 50 years and absolutely love playing golf more than ever now that I am retired. After much reflection, I can say that there is only one thing that really irritates me. Golf Clubs. I mean the establishments not the equipment. The only real source of irritation for me. The worst offenders often have the best courses. That really irritates. Luckily, I find my own club one of the least worst I have ever known.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the fourball 4 groups in front of us yesterday that had decided to play Texas Scramble, course backd up behind them and no one in front for 6 holes, or they had lost sight of who ever was in front of them.

i've never seen anyone play this format out side a Comp where no one else was playing !!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
people who don't shout fore

as we are approuching the 12 green yesterday ball comes flying from the 5th tee 100 yards off line onto the green and bounces past us, as we walked around the edge another ball lands on the 13th tee then bounces onto the 12th green, two young guys (20s)wander over, asked them why they didn't shout, just met with silence and a blank look.

And you didn't follow this up with a few choice words and a full explanation? The wife got hit once, no shout, but they will next time. :mad:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been playing golf for 50 years and absolutely love playing golf more than ever now that I am retired. After much reflection, I can say that there is only one thing that really irritates me. Golf Clubs. I mean the establishments not the equipment. The only real source of irritation for me. The worst offenders often have the best courses. That really irritates. Luckily, I find my own club one of the least worst I have ever known.

Agreed. Except the last bit. Mine is quite irritating. But they do try hard.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, stretching/warming up the ol' computer finger at this moment. Another 7 minutes and I have to slit peoples throats to try and get a tee time for the 29th. Going for about 10am to try and avoid the slightly more desperate people trying for early times.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Countdowns that are going on all over the place.
Won't be long now
12 more sleeps
Is your kit ready?
Got a time booked?
One step closer

I can't wait for the day before............

Here we go
Tally Ho
Where's your first drive going?
At last
Which end do you hold?

For the love of God will you give it a rest........:mad:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Countdowns that are going on all over the place.
Won't be long now
12 more sleeps
Is your kit ready?
Got a time booked?
One step closer

I can't wait for the day before............

Here we go
Tally Ho
Where's your first drive going?
At last
Which end do you hold?

For the love of God will you give it a rest........:mad:

First one to lose a golf ball?

Mandofred

Visit site
Too much drama going on already. BRS opened for first bookings tonight....can only play once in the first 3 days unless you want to play after 4 (fair enough). I had arranged with 2 other guys to play on the 29th. One of those guys has a friend who just put him in with their group on the 31st without arranging things. Jeez, people noticed that right off the bat.....2 bookings in those 3 days. People are really bored if they are counting people and how many times they have booked. Really getting the urge to change clubs......it's close......