Golf England members website now live!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's the question I was asking a while back but never got a proper answer, if someone comfortably plays off X handicap at a course, how can they suddenly gain shots?
I think, head above the parapet here, your index relates to your handicap relating to the baseline slope which I believe is 113. By the time you amend your index to take into account your home courses slope your handicap is back to where you expect. You will only play to your index at a course that has a slope of 113.

Please, no abuse from anyone if wrong, just correct my explanation. I haven't read this, just how it looks to me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's the question I was asking a while back but never got a proper answer, if someone comfortably plays off X handicap at a course, how can they suddenly gain shots?

Your CONGU handicap is more similar to your course handicap than the Handicap Index. The Handicap Index is like the underlying base ability handicap which should be comparable between players at different clubs, weighted towards recent play, unpacked from that CONGU/course handicap. Most people whose game is reasonably stable will see their CONGU handicap give them a lower HI, but when you estimate the course handicap it will often be very similar to the CONGU. A player who has been improving/getting worse recently may see a bigger drop/rise between CONGU and HI because the new handicap gives greater weight to recent play.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think, head above the parapet here, your index relates to your handicap relating to the baseline slope which I believe is 113. By the time you amend your index to take into account your home courses slope your handicap is back to where you expect. You will only play to your index at a course that has a slope of 113.

Please, no abuse from anyone if wrong, just correct my explanation. I haven't read this, just how it looks to me.

Yes I know, but I've gained 2 shots on the course where my handicap was conceived and I was playing to 12 for a while. Congu handicap 12.6 (yes I know 13 ?) WHS 12.5 but up to 14 in reality. I'm actually over the moon ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I know, but I've gained 2 shots on the course where my handicap was conceived and I was playing to 12 for a while. Congu handicap 12.6 (yes I know 13 ?) WHS 12.5 but up to 14 in reality. I'm actually over the moon ?
Would any of your scores be affected by a difference between SSS and CSS?

D

Deleted member 1147

You will be playing 2 off whites and yellows at The Oaks. Genuine question, Does the one shot make a big difference to a low handicap player?
percentage wise, yes
Going from 4 to 3 I lose a quarter of my shots.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, I misunderstood. You've gone the other way ?. I've got nothing there then, my theory has gone out of the window. Fill your boots, you could start strong next season ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just tried to get on and it says this

Note: England Golf membership area is temporarily unavailable while we work on the transition to our new World Handicap System.

Suffice to say, some folk may struggle at the moment to get the info they want.

badgergm

Visit site
In the CONGU area - nothing. Forget it.
Ah yes so on randa site ”without course rating minus par” = “without (course rating minus par). For somE reason I was reading as “(without course rating) minus par” Or just generally having difficulty understanding the 2 options. Seems obviou now.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I get that, but I'm gaining a shot or two on my old Congu handicap at the same course if that makes sense?

Yes, it makes sense, however, the same will be happening to all the others at your club - and the higher handicappers will probably be doing even better.

And, don't forget, the 95% will bring you back down

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Scottish Golf app (not web site) is now showing a projected index.
My best score this year (2 over CSS in an open is currently missing) but I am sure it will get sorted.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope, that's not an option on mine.

What version of the app are you running? I'm on 1.12.0 r9

A couple of people on my WhatsApp group said it had crashed. I am still in but logged in a while ago.

Attachments

• 20201022_215847.jpg
    20201022_215847.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 4