England Golf Affiliation Insurance

gridoutblack

Visit site

As a member of an England Golf affiliated golf club, you are provided with personal liability insurance.​

As an individual member you are covered for personal liability in the event that you are found to be negligent for causing injury to another person or damage to third party property whilst playing or practising golf at any golf club or recognised practice facility in the UK

Am I reading this right that you are only covered if you do soming wrong like not yell fore, or hit beofore a bell is rung or hit when people are in range? Does anyone know if there is any insurance that covers you if you do yell fore or wait for a bell to ring? This almost encourages you to play in a neglegent way doesn't it? Or are there not such things as claims againt golfers who acted in the correct manner and yelled fore, wated for bell etc. Does anybody know?

PS I emailed england golf on Monday to ask but no response yet.

Thank you

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you have it the wrong way around. You need to yell, not be deliberately dangerous etc. The insurance covers you for accidents, not for deliberate or reckless behaviour.

gridoutblack

Visit site
For a damages claim against you to be successful you have to have been negligent in some way. No negligence, no costs.
Thank you for the reply. So basically if you have not been negligent, then you cannot be sued, therefore you do not need to have insurance for this scenario. Example you hook a drive you shout fore as loud as possible, it hits somebody, you cannot have any claims that will lead to prosecution made against you for this.

gridoutblack

Visit site
I'm pretty sure you have it the wrong way around. You need to yell, not be deliberately dangerous etc. The insurance covers you for accidents, not for deliberate or reckless behaviour.
I agree with you that it would make more sense that you would not be covered if you are irresponsible, but it reads like it Only covers you for deliberate, irresponsible or negligent mistakes "in the event that you are found to be negligent for causing injury to another person" otherwise it would say "in the event that you are found NOT to be negligent for causing injury to another person".

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. So basically if you have not been negligent, then you cannot be sued, therefore you do not need to have insurance for this scenario. Example you hook a drive you shout fore as loud as possible, it hits somebody, you cannot have any claims that will lead to prosecution made against you for this.
It is not as simple as that, you may have shouted fore but you may have been negligent in some other way i.e. ignoring a warning sign, hitting a ball when players are in range it would be up to a court to decide. Never the less it remains the case that their is only a potential cost to you if you have been negligent, golf in this regard is no different to any other sport.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry but that is not the case, accident implies there is no negligence on anybodies part in which case there is no claim to be made. Deliberate acts are something entirely different and I would suspect the EG insurance would not pay out in that case, but then neither would any other insurance policy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry but that is not the case, accident implies there is no negligence on anybodies part in which case there is no claim to be made. Deliberate acts are something entirely different and I would suspect the EG insurance would not pay out in that case, but then neither would any other insurance policy.
I suspect I am not disagreeing with you, just not describing it very well. I was going to give an example but I may end up making it worse and derailing the thread. I'll leave it there (no huff, I just don't want to complicate things 👍)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Not correct I'm afraid.

Negligence would be based upon your understanding of what/who was around you and, given your ability, where they were in relation to you when you chose to play the shot. If you are a golfer with a chronic hook and there is a fairway parallel to the hole you are playing with golfers on it in the area where your ball might land should you indeed hook the ball, and you choose to tee off knowing a bad shot would endanger them....you have been negligent in teeing off. A scratch golfer who would 98% of the time knock it straight down the middle of your fairway would probably not be found negligent.

The famous case of a golfer being sued for £400k a few years ago was settled on a judgment as to the offending players ability and the potential chances that his shot might be poor and endanger others on the course.

The shouting of FORE or giving any other warning is absolutely irrelevant as to whether you have been negligent or not.

gridoutblack

Visit site
ok so if I know I am a hooker of the ball, I hit the shot knowing there is a chance I could hit the people of the other fairway, I hit and shout fore and hit them. That is deemed as negligent, therefore I am covered for any costs against me by the insurance provided to all members of an England golf affiliated club. If i am a pro with 98% accuracy and I see people on the left and hit them after shouting fore, I am not neglegent and therefore there can be no cost to me because it’s an accident and therefore no need for England golf Insurance to cover me. I think i get it now, thank you for the explanation.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Get rid of the FORE bit...it has no relevance....whether you shout FORE or not...it means nothing if the initial shot is deemed to be played in a negligent manner.

Every case would be judged on its own merits. The margin of what might be considered negligent would certainly be different for a pro than a 28 'capper.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

As a member of an England Golf affiliated golf club, you are provided with personal liability insurance.​

As an individual member you are covered for personal liability in the event that you are found to be negligent for causing injury to another person or damage to third party property whilst playing or practising golf at any golf club or recognised practice facility in the UK

Am I reading this right that you are only covered if you do soming wrong like not yell fore, or hit beofore a bell is rung or hit when people are in range? Does anyone know if there is any insurance that covers you if you do yell fore or wait for a bell to ring? This almost encourages you to play in a neglegent way doesn't it? Or are there not such things as claims againt golfers who acted in the correct manner and yelled fore, wated for bell etc. Does anybody know?

PS I emailed england golf on Monday to ask but no response yet.

Thank you
The Policy gives more information. a. & b. are worthy of note.

3.10 Reasonable precautions
The Insured shall take all reasonable precautions
a. to prevent all accidents and Bodily Injury Personal Injury Damage to Property or Nuisance which may give rise to a claim under this Policy.
b. to observe and comply with statutory or local authority laws obligations and requirements
c. in the selection and supervision of employees
d. to maintain the buildings machinery and equipment and everything used in the Business in efficient and safe working order
e. to make good or remedy any defect or danger which becomes apparent and take such additional precautions as the circumstances may require.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was, as far as I can see from the EG website personal injury cover is only available as a paid for extension to the basic cover they provide.
Why do you think that?

As an individual member you are covered for personal liability in the event that you are found to be negligent for causing injury to another person or damage to third party property whilst playing or practising golf at any golf club or recognised practice facility in the UK, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man.

There is no excess in respect of personal injury claims, and just a £500 excess in respect of damage to third party property.

gridoutblack

Visit site
Get rid of the FORE bit...it has no relevance....whether you shout FORE or not...it means nothing if the initial shot is deemed to be played in a negligent manner.

Every case would be judged on its own merits. The margin of what might be considered negligent would certainly be different for a pro than a 28 'capper.
Thank you. Is is as black and white as negligent
It is also worth noting that the insurance is also to cover injury to the third party - probably more so than any negligence against the ball striker.

Every case would be judged on its own merits. The margin of what might be considered negligent would certainly be different for a pro than a 28 'capper.it’s not as black and white as negligent and you are covered by insurance and not negligent goes down as an accident. I guess my next question is if the insurance provided by England golf is ample or if there is a better insurance that can cover you for all eventualities apart from obvious and deliberate damage (which I would never do anyway).
He was, as far as I can see from the EG website personal injury cover is only available as a paid for extension to the basic cover they provide.

i can confirm I am only interested in being covered in the eventuality that somebody tried to claim £400k damages from me. Now I understand the basics and that each case is treated individually, I guess I just need to know if the basic insurance provided by EG is good enough or if there would be any benefit in looking elsewhere for more protection against potential claims against me.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Why do you think that?

As an individual member you are covered for personal liability in the event that you are found to be negligent for causing injury to another person or damage to third party property whilst playing or practising golf at any golf club or recognised practice facility in the UK, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man.

There is no excess in respect of personal injury claims, and just a £500 excess in respect of damage to third party property.
It clearly calls this personnel liability insurance in case of causing injury to a third party. Neild's first post seemed to imply that the cover also included injury to the player themselves, which it doesn't appear to do.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

i can confirm I am only interested in being covered in the eventuality that somebody tried to claim £400k damages from me. Now I understand the basics and that each case is treated individually, I guess I just need to know if the basic insurance provided by EG is good enough or if there would be any benefit in looking elsewhere for more protection against potential claims against me.

EGs covers you for up to £10m in case of you causing injury by negligence to a third party. Doubt whether you would get better cover elsewhere than that.