Golf down south

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi All

Heading to family get together for a week in April..the exotic destination is Dorchester,Dorset.I live in the east of Scotland playing almost exclusively links and am expecting a different experience! Any recommendations from locals or fans of the area welcome.My playing partners don’t suffer from our affliction anywhere near as severely so budget probably a factor.

Anyway thanks in advance for any ideas within 20-30 miles or so

Cheers

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best bet for quality at that time of the year is one of the Bournemouth courses. The ones close to Dorchester will be muddy at that time of the year if we've had a lot of rain. Came Down (which is between Weymouth and Dorchester) could be OK as it is built on top of a chalk hill.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isle of purbeck should be ok in April. Otherwise your best bet may be broadstone but they’ll be on summer green fees by then. Sherborne is pretty good if their fairways/tees have recovered

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play Yeovil is about half an hours drive away, Sherborne the same, Weymouth and Came Down Close to there , Lyme Regis further West.

If budget is restricted then forget the main well known courses like Parkstone and Broadstone.

Wareham is quirky but I enjoy it, Bulbury Woods is okish.

There is a newish course slightly North East of Dorchester at Charminster Wolfedale Golf Course, I have never played there but one of mates has and he enjoyed it, they have a website.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also have The Dorset Golf and Country Club too not far from Dorchester. 27 holes and lots of water hazards on the main course.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have often expounded the virtues of Came Down on here, my favourite course in Dorset. It certainly won't be muddy. The views are fantastic, and it's a good challenge, greens are great, and don't be deceived by the clubhouse - the welcome is warm and the food great. And it's two miles from Dorchester.