Golf ball for mid handicapper

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
In winter, that's different, shortened course, cold weather, I tend to use up anything I have found that is half decent.

I like to use a new ball at the start of a comp, if I lose it then it's a used one out of the bag, I do sometimes make it round with the same one.

I have read about the lake ball theories and concluded it was to steer people away from buying them, keep them buying the new ones. If I am shopping for some (internet auction site), I tend to look for the ones from people who find them on coarse rather than the bigger companies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are going to lose at least a ball a round then Pearl Lake balls are the answer. I get Callaway or Taylormade ones from you know where and never pay more than 50p per ball. If you get lucky, I did recently, I paid 34p per ball for Pearl Callaway balls. They are very good and if you do play one ball all the way round then they are still in decent condition. Not as pure as a ProV1 but then look at the price difference. You still get a very good feel from these and you don't feel like crying either when you lose one.

I have played many an AD333, lake and found obviously, and would back up the good comments about them if you still wanted to go down the new route.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or the Vice Drive. 79p each if you buy 60. I'm using them through the winter. http://www.vicegolf.com/uk/vice-golf-drive

Didn't like the drive. After getting used to using premium balls the drive felt like hitting a rock. The difference between that and the Tour was massive. Tour is so much spinnier and for me, felt so much better. Vice are making some top quality balls ATM though, well worth a look. The starter pack at £17 is a bargain.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am not sure that you should buy lake balls, as they sometimes don't seem to fly properly. This may depend on how long they have been in the water, even if they look to be in good condition. OK for complete hackers who don't hit good shots anyway and lose lots of balls I suppose!

I bought some pearl lake balls last year as I was going away to play golf on a course that had lots of water (V Club in Lithuania) and they were awful.

when I got home I compared them to new ones of the same make and the difference was about 15-20 yards and the lake balls seemed much harder

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I bought some pearl lake balls last year as I was going away to play golf on a course that had lots of water (V Club in Lithuania) and they were awful.

when I got home I compared them to new ones of the same make and the difference was about 15-20 yards and the lake balls seemed much harder
As I said before, this probably depends on how long they have been in the lake. A few days is probably OK, but several months probably isn't. Unfortunately if they look in good condition, you can't really tell the difference (at least until you hit them)! :mmm:

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As I said before, this probably depends on how long they have been in the lake. A few days is probably OK, but several months probably isn't. Unfortunately if they look in good condition, you can't really tell the difference (at least until you hit them)! :mmm:

I'd have to agree with this. I am just not comfortable in using balls that you don't know the history of. I've used them in the past but in all honesty who can say what the effect of spending X months in a lake will have.
I'd rather spend a little more on new balls and know that there is no worry about them impacting on my game.
You can get some great deals on new balls now and, tbh, I don't lose that many these days anyway.

I think the Nike balls I highlighted are great value at £9.95 a dozen. For myself, I got 2 dozen Callaway Hex Chrome for £25 which was great value and so happy with them I bought 2 dozen more.