Annual trip to Scotland - Course recommendations please!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dunbar is tremendously underrated in my humble opinion. Very nice track.

Not sure which hole numbers they were but could only see the ones from the patio, and wasnt sure if any of the holes go onto that "shelf" off to the left, or not.

I got mixed up at first as went for a walk alongside a course I thought was Dunbar, but was actually winterfield or something, which had a few decent holes down near the beach, but looked just okay for the rest of it.

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
car park lets it down though:LOL:

Which one the members one, or the visitors?

The member's one was nice and firm and good underfoot. No puddles, although a little bijou/boxy in layout, but good sea views.

The visitors was a bit more inland, although slightly undulating, which was nice. I believe they had poached the tarmaccers from Muirfield, but may just be a rumour.

A hybrid of both, would see it in the top 50 for me. :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What did you think on them ?

Really liked both, in short:-

Gullane 1 - You dont get many big hills on most links courses, so think the overall routing of Gullane makes it interesting, as well as slightly unusual. I particularly liked the bunkering of Gullane, as had so many different types aside from the normal pot bunkers,larger types, but also mini-bunkers, which can still mean its a little awkward shot, but not every bunker needs to be 6 foot deep, revetted and only 6 foot wide. Very playable, everything is in front of you, and fair, although the pin position on 9 was impossible to get near.

North Berwick - Good start, and just when I thought it was getting a bit samey (only lasted 2 holes), it justs gets better and better from the turn. I think "quirky" does it a dis-service, and unusual potentially sounds less off-putting. A course I can imagine you'll love more as you play it more, as putting drives in the right place (or approaches) as you have to play to an area, that isnt always the line you may think, especially when you'e playing a 6 iron 2nd from the beach on the 2nd hole. :)

Would gladly return to both.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I had to check that as I didn't know Eric Brown had also been a captain. Every day is a school day.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Castle park is a great wee hidden gem in East Lothian.
We went to the range at Castle Park and had a good chat with the owner there. He was sounding off about the over priced green fees in the area with very few offering true value for money. Looked quite nice, but we didn't play it in the end.

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
It's a great wee course. The front nine are pretty flat (still good though) but the back nine are just a laugh a minute with a unreal par 3 12th. And for the price you pay you can't go wrong.