Annual trip to Scotland - Course recommendations please!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’d put North Berwick top of the list. Lovely course.

Gullane used to do a deal if you were playing 2 courses, not too sure if they had to be played on the same day (we did 1&2 on the same day)
Definitely worth playing Gullane 2 & 3 if you can get a deal. Makes a great day - one of my favourite (work Club) outings. Or Gullane 2 twilight is great value (£20 when I worked up there quite a while ago). #1 is definitely grander, but had a (too imo) huge premium applied, which probably hasn't shrunk after its use for Scottish Open.

I was a member at Craigielaw, so always recommend that - even just for the scenery/wildlife/hospitality! Longniddry is also a fine, if a little quirky. Kilspindie is short, but no pushover. Right next door to Craigielaw, so another possibility for 2 round day. I believe all 3 are owned (along with entire village of Longniddry) by the Earl of Wemyss, whose quirky residence can be glimpsed if driving between courses.

Dunbar is classic links and North Berwick is a favourite for its quirkiness - East Lothian's equivalent to TOC for me!

Closer to Edinburgh, but not in the city The Musselburgh (previously known as Monktonhall) is a cracking James Braid parkland course. Royal Musselburgh is another parkland course...nice, if (purely imo) slightly ho-hum until the last few holes which are fabulous! Within Edinburgh, Duddingston and Mortonhall probably comprte for 'best' and The Braids is quirky, great fun and has fabulous views of 'Auld Reekie'!

Plenty of choices! None are particularly cheap, but you may be able to get a deal or 2!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The course below the camp site is the Glen. Worth playing but is is getting expensive these days.

Played the Glen and Haddington with about 30 others on me and my mates joint stag do in Edinburgh.

Liked it in 25mph winds, but wasnt a links player then, so would like to go back again.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You should try coming up the west coast one year. Lots of nice courses up this way.
We used to stay in Boat of Garten and played Spey Valley, Boat, Dornoch, Gleneagles etc. One year we came home via Dundonald and Western Gailes on the west coast, but have never stayed that side.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We are on our Jolly next week to playing a couple of courses in Edinburgh before heading to Gullane for 1and 2 then back via Fife.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I regularly play Gullane and Longniddry throughout the year and on Tuesday I played Dunbar for the first time in a good few years. Longniddry has been terrible the last few times and Gullane never fails to please, but Dunbar was nothing short of superb, putting the others in the shade. I played Archerfield as an introduced guest which cost £80, and although the service was second to none, I wouldn't rush back.

I'm not sure now, but The Smiddy in Pentcaitland used to be one of the top restaurants in the area.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I regularly play Gullane and Longniddry throughout the year and on Tuesday I played Dunbar for the first time in a good few years. Longniddry has been terrible the last few times and Gullane never fails to please, but Dunbar was nothing short of superb, putting the others in the shade. I played Archerfield as an introduced guest which cost £80, and although the service was second to none, I wouldn't rush back.

I'm not sure now, but The Smiddy in Pentcaitland used to be one of the top restaurants in the area.
I'd agree about Dunbar. I played it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. A good, challenging course in excellent condition.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back from our week away and it was a fantastic week.

Played Eden on the way up. I quite liked it, although the greens had been done and were a let down, but it certainly made you think going round. Not many holes where you just rocked up, took out the driver and tried to hit it as far as possible.
We played Eyemouth on the Sunday. Clifftop course with some great holes. The par 3 6th was mental. My putting decided to toggle off and I had a bit of a mare, but still enjoyed it.
On the Monday we headed over to Dunbar and it was probably my favourite of the lot. Course was in immaculate condition. Girl working in the bar was an unexpected highlight
On the Tuesday we played the Musselburgh, which was OK, although the bunkers were full of what felt like compacted builder sand. Probably my least favourite course of the week. Not sure I'd play it again in a hurry
Wednesday we headed to Longniddry. Greens weren't the best, but it certainly provided a challenge
Thursday we decided on Craigielaw and it was great fun (although the pro was a bit of a miserable soul). Greens were in perfect condition and really tough with the undulation on them. Somehow managed 40 points though!
On the Friday we stopped in the Roxburgh and it was in fantastic condition. Real picture postcard stuff. My mate managed an albatross on the par 5 7th from around 250 yards, which we unfortunately didn't see go in, but the 5 points he got from that contributed to him beating me by a single point on the cumulative weekly competition we run, which stung a little! Ha

Now we have next year to look forward to and I think we are considering West Lothian, so I'll be back asking for some recommendations nearer the time. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Played Eden on the way up. I quite liked it, although the greens had been done and were a let down, but it certainly made you think going round. Not many holes where you just rocked up, took out the driver and tried to hit it as far as possible.
We played Eyemouth on the Sunday. Clifftop course with some great holes. The par 3 6th was mental. My putting decided to toggle off and I had a bit of a mare, but still enjoyed it.
On the Monday we headed over to Dunbar and it was probably my favourite of the lot. Course was in immaculate condition. Girl working in the bar was an unexpected highlight
On the Tuesday we played the Musselburgh, which was OK, although the bunkers were full of what felt like compacted builder sand. Probably my least favourite course of the week. Not sure I'd play it again in a hurry
Wednesday we headed to Longniddry. Greens weren't the best, but it certainly provided a challenge
Thursday we decided on Craigielaw and it was great fun (although the pro was a bit of a miserable soul). Greens were in perfect condition and really tough with the undulation on them. Somehow managed 40 points though!
On the Friday we stopped in the Roxburgh and it was in fantastic condition. Real picture postcard stuff. My mate managed an albatross on the par 5 7th from around 250 yards, which we unfortunately didn't see go in, but the 5 points he got from that contributed to him beating me by a single point on the cumulative weekly competition we run, which stung a little! Ha

Now we have next year to look forward to and I think we are considering West Lothian, so I'll be back asking for some recommendations nearer the time. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Glad to see your thoughts on the above, as seen "bits" of these courses last week.

I played Gullane 1 and North Berwick whilst on hols, and also had a look at Eyemouth and Dunbar from the car park, but could only get to see 3-4 holes from there. I was also hoping to get the Roxburghe in, but was too far away from where we were staying, so went to Cardrona instead. I was wondering if Dunbar may be worth a future visit.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Glad to see your thoughts on the above, as seen "bits" of these courses last week.

I played Gullane 1 and North Berwick whilst on hols, and also had a look at Eyemouth and Dunbar from the car park also, but could only get to see 3-4 holes from there. I was also hoping to get the Roxburghe in, but was too far away from where we were staying, so went to Cardrona instead. I was wondering if Dunbar may be worth a future visit.

Dunbar is tremendously underrated in my humble opinion. Very nice track.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I played Gullane 1 and North Berwick whilst on hols, and also had a look at Eyemouth and Dunbar from the car park also, but could only get to see 3-4 holes from there. I was also hoping to get the Roxburghe in, but was too far away from where we were staying, so went to Cardrona instead. I was wondering if Dunbar may be worth a future visit.
Absolutely worth it. I would put Dunbar in my top 3 courses I have ever played, it was fantastic

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Good luck trying to find decent courses in West Lothian! 😂