Annual trip to Scotland - Course recommendations please!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it is nearly that time of year again where myself and 3 mates head up to beautiful Scotland for a week of golf. Only 4 weeks to go!

For the last couple of years we have headed over to the East coast near Aberdeen / Montrose and had a lot of fun up there playing Cruden, Montrose Links etc, but this year we're staying a lot further south, in East Lothian in a town called Pencaitland.

We drive up on the Saturday morning and play a course on the way up, which this year will be Eden near Carlisle as my mates are friends with the pro there before heading on to the house, which is only a few hrs in the car. We then play every day from Sunday to Thursday, before choosing a course on the Friday on the way back home.

So over to you guys for some recommendations of must play courses, either the well known or some little hidden gems. Expensive and budget all considered.

Only course I have played in that general neck of the woods is Roxburghe, which we might visit for our course on the way home, so totally open to any suggestions. Generally max distance we like to drive is 45 mins to 1hr from where we are based, but will travel further for a real gem.

Cheers!

Last edited:

peld

Visit site
there are no bad courses along the East Lothian Coast.
Gullane (1,2 & 3), Luffness, Craigielaw, Longniddry, Archerfield, North Berwick, Glen, Dunbar.....

(edit I should add none are particularly cheap, but you might get some midweek deals as we move in to autumn)

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What dates are you going, approx, and what budget or average price do you want to pay?

I didnt like the Eden when I played it about 12 years ago, if in the area would go to Brampton or Silloth instead.

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there are no bad courses along the East Lothian Coast.
Gullane (1,2 & 3), Luffness, Craigielaw, Longniddry, Archerfield, North Berwick, Glen, Dunbar.....

(edit I should add none are particularly cheap, but you might get some midweek deals as we move in to autumn)
Cheers. Archerfield looks like it doesn't accept visitors, although looks very nice! Will take a look at the rest

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What dates are you going, approx, and what budget or average price do you want to play?

I didnt like the Eden when I played it about 12 years ago, if in the area would go to Brampton or Silloth instead.
We are going on Sept 21st for the week and budget is anything goes. We tend to play a couple of the top budget ones over the week and fill up the rest with a few of the cheaper places.

The only reason we are playing Eden is because my friends are mates with the new pro/coach who has recently started working there and want to pop in and say hello. We have already played Brampton and Silloth (and Carlisle) in that area.

peld

Visit site
Cheers. Archerfield looks like it doesn't accept visitors, although looks very nice! Will take a look at the rest
Given them a call, im sure you'll be fine, though its ££££. To be honest it's a lovely club and great facilities, staff, atmosphere etc, although the course I played, whilst "nice" wasn't particularly interesting. I'd go to the older courses first.

Look up Erik Anders Lang on Youtube. He did a guide to Scottish Golf Courses and did a few in East Lothian (Kilspindie and Dunbar)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Royal Mussellburgh GC is a really good parkland course always in good nick and reasonable priced well worth a try . There's also the oldest course in Scotland the Mussellburgh 9 hole links course , right in the middle of the race course [ cheap as chips ]. The first few Open competitions were played there before changing to St Andrews .
We played both courses on the same day , we walked the old links course[ 9 holes ] but hired buggies playing Royal Mussellburgh.

peld

Visit site
you can only play Muirfield Tues & Thursday, and at £250 a pop there is plenty better value (plus you'll struggle to get on now anyway).

Try Gullane and North Berwick. I love Gullane 3 if you fancy a gentle round, greens are incredible.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Royal Mussellburgh GC is a really good parkland course always in good nick and reasonable priced well worth a try . There's also the oldest course in Scotland the Mussellburgh 9 hole links course , right in the middle of the race course [ cheap as chips ]. The first few Open competitions were played there before changing to St Andrews .
We played both courses on the same day , we walked the old links course[ 9 holes ] but hired buggies playing Royal Mussellburgh.
Being pedantic the first 12 Opens were actually held in Prestwick , it then rotated between St Andrews, Mussleburgh and Prestwick, before other courses joined in.
You're absolutely right though that it was one of the early Open courses and still playable.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being pedantic the first 12 Opens were actually held in Prestwick , it then rotated between St Andrews, Mussleburgh and Prestwick, before other courses joined in.
You're absolutely right though that it was one of the early Open courses and still playable.
The club state that it is the oldest club in Scotland , i'll check with a friend who's a member re the Pedantic Open :ROFLMAO:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We did an East Lothian trip a couple of years ago. It's an amazing area.
You can get gullane 2&3 on a day ticket. It's great value and a really enjoyable day out.
North Berwick is good but expensive. The Glen (other side of town) had great views and is much cheaper.
You can get a good deal at Dunbar if you play afternoon or twilight, definitely worth a trip.
We're planning to go again to try and play (some) of the courses we missed the first time around, I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go.
I would also suggest that food and beer is better (if more expensive) than the places further north...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some very good advice given already.

For me Dunbar is the nicest layout in EL, but as a member there perhaps I am biased. It is in superb condition and the later tee times are great value.

I would suggest Gullane 2 over 1. Both great courses but 2 is much better value and, for me at least, as good as 1.

NB is very expensive and very popular, I'm not a huge fan TBH - very quirky in places, perhaps that's why it is so popular?

Very lose to where you are staying if Gifford GC. A lovely 9 hole course in a lovely wee town with some dining options.

I know you are up for golf but there is a bus from Pencaitland to and from Edinburgh - you should head up there for a night out.

Kilspindie, although short, is a superb course if you haven't considered it.

Visit site
Sod Archerfield, it's just ok and not a patch on North Berwick, Dunbar etc. The Glen is always worth a round, good fun course.

As a boy (40 years ago!!) - Back in the days of Sprite Majors - North Berwick was a frequent bank holiday / long weekend destination
We stayed in a caravan site above the course and I played this a few times
Agree it is a nice straightforward course - so worth considering as others have said
Stop off to get Lucas ice-cream on the way home (if thats still going)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a boy (40 years ago!!) - Back in the days of Sprite Majors - North Berwick was a frequent bank holiday / long weekend destination
We stayed in a caravan site above the course and I played this a few times
Agree it is a nice straightforward course - so worth considering as others have said
Stop off to get Lucas ice-cream on the way home (if thats still going)

The course below the camp site is the Glen. Worth playing but is is getting expensive these days.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played Muirfield, North Berwick and Gullane No1. in that area

Would recommend Gullane No1 and Muirfield. Really enjoyed Gullane No 1, good fun course, would like to go back and play it again, along with 2 (and the short course I think was 3)

North Berwick a bit like KenL, I found it a bit gimmicky and not that great test of golf, but was in excellent condition, good welcome, helpful and half a dozen or so cracking holes, so can understand why others would enjoy it.