South Lake District / Silverdale Courses

CirenBhoy

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm off to the South Lakes, Silverdale to be exact in October for a extended family weekend.

I have been tasked with organising a round of golf for the alpha-males, but have never played in this area

Do any of you guys have experience of playing in this area? Any recommendations for courses?
With Silverdale GC being on our door step would be handy to play there, has anyone else played there and what are your thoughts?

Don't want to travel too far but will do if its worth it.

Thanks in advance.

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
I've just joined Silverdale this year and it's well kept and reasonably priced. The front 9 is OK, newly built and will take time to mature. The back 9 however is fairly short and you wouldn't really need to take your driver after the 11th, but the greens are not reachable in 1 due to their positioning. It can be severely punishing for the wayward player and this is typified by the 13th, a 5 iron into a valley and then a wedge up 20ft to a green set on a 'cliff face'!

I used to be a member at Morecambe and it's a great course and well worth the visit, no par 5's but some par 4's which will test anyone!

Lancaster is very nice but not open to visitors at the weekend. Heysham is another nice course, quite long and open.

Further afield there is Carus Green which is starting to earn rave reviews with it's newly designed holes and huge financial investment.

CirenBhoy

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks TLB, I'll give these a google.

How hilly is Silverdale? Just thinking of the Father-in-law's dodgy knee. Don't want to listen to him moaning all weekend.:D

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
It is quite hilly yes but there are buggys available if required. Carus Green is a very flat course which might be better suited.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How hilly is silverdale? That's one of the silliest questions I've heard:D yes very! Once read a review that stated you could get your fell walking and golf done in one go and it's not far wrong! TLB offers good advice btw, although I would say not carus so much although it is improving all the time with plenty of money going into it, go to morecambe, easy walking (only one or 2 uphill drags!) and buggies available.

D

Deleted member 3432

How hilly is silverdale? That's one of the silliest questions I've heard:D yes very! Once read a review that stated you could get your fell walking and golf done in one go and it's not far wrong! TLB offers good advice btw, although I would say not carus so much although it is improving all the time with plenty of money going into it, go to morecambe, easy walking (only one or 2 uphill drags!) and buggies available.
I would agree with this

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a soft spot for morecambe after learning to play there as a junior. My grandpa was also a member for many years. Some really challenging par 4s. My favourite being the 4th followed by a really difficult par 3. I suppose you don't realise how much of a trek silverdale is when you play there all the time.

If you ever need a partner splash then let me know, I love your course I only live in lancaster.

Carus is on the up. Once the new holes have time to bed in it will be a nice track.

Forgot to mention bentham. I was a winter member for a couple of months and they have some really nice holes. They've also recently added some new holes and if you follow them on twitter they do some really good deals!

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tlb - a round would be good!
Played in the open at silverdale a couple of weeks ago - 4 balls for a two on the eighteenth!
Drop me a pm and we will arrange something!

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Living in South Cumbria,I am not too impressed with Silverdale. Lancaster is class with lightening fast true greens and morecambe is good with no par 5's. Heysham has good greens and is a friendly club. I would avoid Kendal as it is like walking up and down a Lakeland fell!

Carus Green has had a lot of money thrown at it and a guy at our place is the Course assessor for Cumbria and said it has improved beyond belief. Grange over Sands has big drainage problems and some holes were unplayable mic May with Open competitions cancelled.

Further afield I am a member at Ulverston where the greens are in the best condition for 15 years and comes highly recommended. Windermere will be too hilly for your father.

Furness GC has great greens, very friendly, 140 years old and worth a visit.

If you want to know more please feel free to contact me

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
Kirkby Lonsdale is another nice course although the last time I played there the greens were a big disappointment.

What at weren't you impressed with at silverdale if you don't mind me asking. I know a few people don't like it as the back 9 is very tight and punishing to any wayward shots.

Agree with kendal. Not my personal favourite as a large proportion of the ground is very undulating and you can be playing from a variety of lines which loses its appeal quickly. I also remember many of the greens are out of view.

Splash is Simon stil the pro at MGC?

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah tlb, for better or worse he is!
3 off the tee - funny how different impressions are gained, to me and many others (members at lancaster, morecambe, silverdale (via heysham) and kirkby that i have played and chatted with) in this area heysham is ridiculously unfriendly with set groups booking and playing the same times every week but maybe this is a membership issue rather than visitor one, tbh it's in good nick but rather uninspiring - bit of a bombers paradise. I left Kirkby 4 years ago because of the greens and it hasn't improved, indeed the greens comittee of 2013 joined morecambe this year continuing the low handicapper exodus! On the plus side I'm up at yours playing in the open on 6th July!
Oh and I hope you at least liked the pro at silverdale...............
And kendal in the style of monty python - 'tis a silly course.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah tlb, for better or worse he is!
3 off the tee - funny how different impressions are gained, to me and many others (members at lancaster, morecambe, silverdale (via heysham) and kirkby that i have played and chatted with) in this area heysham is ridiculously unfriendly with set groups booking and playing the same times every week but maybe this is a membership issue rather than visitor one, tbh it's in good nick but rather uninspiring - bit of a bombers paradise. I left Kirkby 4 years ago because of the greens and it hasn't improved, indeed the greens comittee of 2013 joined morecambe this year continuing the low handicapper exodus! On the plus side I'm up at yours playing in the open on 6th July!
Oh and I hope you at least liked the pro at silverdale...............
And kendal in the style of monty python - 'tis a silly course.

The pro has settled in well in a short time and I am sure he will be a success.

Regarding the Open my I suggest you check the website as there has been minimal interest. Suggest you check the online booking system.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing with one of your members so I'm sure he will keep us posted!
Alun is a sound bloke and I'm sure he will be a

they had to cancel a xomp in June . hope it is Ok

Which member may I ask..

Think you will find the greens in great nick and would welcome your comments about the welcome from the guy behind the bar, especially if it is a late 50's guy!!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Morecambe isn't what I'd call really hilly but many holes go across a valley so there is a bit of climbing especially on the back 9. Overall I'd say Heysham was a bit flatter and probably a more interesting layout. Both much better than Silverdale. Kirby is nice but again quite hilly. It really depends on your F-I-L's knee!!

TLB

Club Champion
Visit site
Morecambe isn't what I'd call really hilly but many holes go across a valley so there is a bit of climbing especially on the back 9. Overall I'd say Heysham was a bit flatter and probably a more interesting layout. Both much better than Silverdale. Kirby is nice but again quite hilly. It really depends on your F-I-L's knee!!

I would have said out of the choice heysham was the least interesting layout and a bombers paradise as earlier suggested. You can miss 60 yards right and find another fairway on about 75% of the holes!