Recommendations for golf in the Lake District?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Letting my mind wander to turning 50 next month and trying to plan a few little golf trips with mates - thinking of a couple of days in the Lakes (around May time) based near the Keswick area. Any thoughts on where would be good - have played Silloth which was amazing and wondering if Southerness is worth the drive for a day there?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Silloth and Southerners is always a good double header course wise. Not sure where you'd stay though.

How about playing Windermere and Keswick and staying in Bowness? Never heard a bad word about Windermere . Its a short but quirky course and a real gem. This way you can stay in Windermere or Bowness and there are plenty of great boozers and restaurants to choose from.

D

Deleted member 3432

Letting my mind wander to turning 50 next month and trying to plan a few little golf trips with mates - thinking of a couple of days in the Lakes (around May time) based near the Keswick area. Any thoughts on where would be good - have played Silloth which was amazing and wondering if Southerness is worth the drive for a day there?

Here are my thought as a local living in Workington.

Biased obviously as a Silloth member, just go and play that again, the price you pay is for the day so £60 will get you 36 holes at one of the best in the UK.

Everywhere else is a step down in quality and some travelling may be required. In the North of the county I would say Carlisle is the best track with Penrith and Brampton worth a look at. Appleby has superb greens and is a bit different being a wild moorland course.

Centrally, Seascale is an excellent links although they have had problems with the fairways this year, Keswick and Cockermouth for scenary although conditioning could be a problem if we have a poor spring (thats a given in the Lake District).

If you don't mind travelling into the lakes then Ulverston and Windermere are good tracks.

Southerness will be a bit of a trek, 90-120 mins depending on time of day you are travelling but it is a tremendous test of golf and a course I try to get to annually. Like Silloth exposed to the elements and can be brutally tough when the wind picks up.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Here are my thought as a local living in Workington.

Biased obviously as a Silloth member, just go and play that again, the price you pay is for the day so £60 will get you 36 holes at one of the best in the UK.

Everywhere else is a step down in quality and some travelling may be required. In the North of the county I would say Carlisle is the best track with Penrith and Brampton worth a look at. Appleby has superb greens and is a bit different being a wild moorland course.

Centrally, Seascale is an excellent links although they have had problems with the fairways this year, Keswick and Cockermouth for scenary although conditioning could be a problem if we have a poor spring (thats a given in the Lake District).

If you don't mind travelling into the lakes then Ulverston and Windermere are good tracks.

Southerness will be a bit of a trek, 90-120 mins depending on time of day you are travelling but it is a tremendous test of golf and a course I try to get to annually. Like Silloth exposed to the elements and can be brutally tough when the wind picks up.

Lucky being a member at Silloth, thought it was amazing. Did play Appleby about 15 years ago and remember loving the turf - mate shanked one off an early par 3 and then holed his provisional. He still counts it, bizarrely, as a hole-in-one. Lots to look at and think about, thanks

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Lucky being a member at Silloth, thought it was amazing. Did play Appleby about 15 years ago and remember loving the turf - mate shanked one off an early par 3 and then holed his provisional. He still counts it, bizarrely, as a hole-in-one. Lots to look at and think about, thanks

Andy Sullivan still counts his after 200+ provisionals in the European Tour video ;):)

D

Deleted member 21258

Silloth ...go back to, well worth the drive
Southerness...hmm didn't love this course, very flat, some nice holes, wouldn't go back to at the green fee price
Kirby Lonsdale...enjoyed, a lot of variety of holes on the course, nice terrain for golf
Grange over sands...flat as pancake, can flood due to position, okay course, good price tho

I am slowly realising I like bonkers out of the way golf courses, just for those kind of holes you cant get elsewhere at cheap prices, not the best golf courses in the world or condition but very very memorable as a result, How about :-

Seascale....some bonkers holes on the course, 18th green is an interesting shot as an example, very friendly in clubhouse, nice food
Kendal...some bonkers holes on the course and great views, a good walk being on a hill !!, some holes a bit on top of each other, cant wait to go back to very memorable
Sedbergh..interesting 9 holer...ideal for an add on round.

A lot of the above are within an hour radius of Keswick

D

Deleted member 3432

Played a few years back in scratch league final at Appleby, downhill 4th my opponent hit about 3 inches behind the ball and turned away disgust. He missed it bobbling down the hill without getting snagged up in anything and ending up in the hole.

I hit a proper golf shot to 2ft and lost the hole....

4LEX

Visit site
Great taste! I'm doing a week around Windemere and Ambleside next spring too. AirBnB, hottub, bbq, days walking/golfing, evenings drinking and eating (y):cool: