First Club Membership

RoninPanda

Visit site
I've recently taken up golf and after a few lessons and a few rounds I'm completely hooked, bought myself some slightly more up-to-date clubs than the £50 facebook marketplace full set that I started with (wooden woods have helped me appreciate newer clubs!) and now I'm starting to creep towards that 1st goal of breaking 100. I'm still trying to work out if I hate the shanks more, or 3 putting from 6ft after getting to the green nicely too.

I've come to the decision that I want to join a golf club as I like the idea of both the handicap/competitions and the social aspect as I've recently moved to a new area (South Bradford/Halifax). I've played a few courses locally and I'm aiming to try more before deciding, but I was wondering what things to look for in a club beyond enjoying the course (as well as the cost) and how important they are to you?

Does anyone local have any recommendations on clubs to join or courses I need to play in the area?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I've recently taken up golf and after a few lessons and a few rounds I'm completely hooked, bought myself some slightly more up-to-date clubs than the £50 facebook marketplace full set that I started with (wooden woods have helped me appreciate newer clubs!) and now I'm starting to creep towards that 1st goal of breaking 100. I'm still trying to work out if I hate the shanks more, or 3 putting from 6ft after getting to the green nicely too.

I've come to the decision that I want to join a golf club as I like the idea of both the handicap/competitions and the social aspect as I've recently moved to a new area (South Bradford/Halifax). I've played a few courses locally and I'm aiming to try more before deciding, but I was wondering what things to look for in a club beyond enjoying the course (as well as the cost) and how important they are to you?

Does anyone local have any recommendations on clubs to join or courses I need to play in the area?

id play each course and ask how easy it is to get into comps along with when the comps open for entry. Does it have a range. How it plays in the winter. I played my shortlist in jan to get a decent idea.

that’s the main ones. Prices in the club house maybe. Beyond that its about playing with loads of people and finding the right group.

RoninPanda

Visit site
id play each course and ask how easy it is to get into comps along with when the comps open for entry. Does it have a range. How it plays in the winter. I played my shortlist in jan to get a decent idea.

that’s the main ones. Prices in the club house maybe. Beyond that its about playing with loads of people and finding the right group.

Thanks, I'd never considered the process with comps.

I've got a round booked for tomorrow at one potential course tomorrow. The problem is that I keep looking at courses and adding them to the shortlist quicker than I can play them!

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have said, ask about comps and especially ask if it's an open sign-up sheet where you can put your name in with anyone. That's a great way to meet people.

If you're joining by yourself I would also ask if there are any roll-ups at the times you think you might be playing regularly, and ask if anyone from the club can make introductions for you to these groups. Friendliness of the other members will beat the quality and price of the course all day long.

I'd also ask if there is a points-based membership available, and if so what restrictions there are on it, and what the attitude of 7-day members is towards it. When I joined my current club several years ago I did it on a flexi-member scheme because I didn't know anyone, it's low cost, and takes a lot of financial risk out of joining. By the time I'd been there a year, I was switching to full 7-day because I'd met so many people to have a round with.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This may not be relevant north of Watford, but how accessible is your course? If you cannot get to the course reasonably quickly then it can become a chore rather than a pleasure getting to it so travelling time may be very relevant. I'd also look at the soil your proposed home is on if you will be a year round golfer; how will it drain in winter? Look at the comps as others have said, roll ups to meet new people and another aspect is social functions; it's easier to persuade Mrs BiM that membership is a good idea when the club regularly puts on bands, quizzes & other socials that other halves are welcome to. Don't know if you have another half that this may affect, but worth considering.

Welcome to the madhouse, and given your avatar, why haven't you posted in the motorcycle thread yet... ;)

Diamond

Visit site
I would check that people with high handicaps are welcome and whether there are any restrictions on competitions in terms of capping handicaps. If there are you may as well not bother with the full 7 day membership.

RoninPanda

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice! Really useful things that I hadn't considered so I can put that into the melting pot.

I can't be selling my Donnay putter, it's still in the bag until after I've had a putting focussed lesson then I'll pick something. I can blame my scores and 3+ putts on it for now so it's really useful! I'll see if I can dig out the woods.

I've played the championship course at Willow Valley today and really enjoyed it, despite it being significantly more difficult than other courses I've played. I liked the atmosphere and facilities (driving range and a great practice area) so that's in the running.

Others on the shortlist at the moment are Dewsbury, which I've played and was really enjoyable, Cleckheaton, The Manor in Drighlington. I was contemplating a 9 hole course but I feel I'd prefer an 18 holes course, or 2 in the case of Willow Valley. They're all easy enough to get to but I'm still looking for others to add to the list.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly hello and welcome. I'd definitely ask and try out the courses and see what really suits you. Enjoy, and prepare to be skint as once you're hooked that's it new driver, fairways, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters you name it - worse than crack :ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
They are all decent courses. Not sure I could take playing Willow Valley every week.

The Manor is quite a nice track with good facilities. But 10,11,12 are a bit weak.

Have you tried Howly Hall?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I was going to also suggest Howley Hall, think it's a better course than the others but not too hard. Also a brilliant practice ground.

Good luck (and welcome)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice! Really useful things that I hadn't considered so I can put that into the melting pot.

I can't be selling my Donnay putter, it's still in the bag until after I've had a putting focussed lesson

...but we still want to know what the Slazenger set with the wooden woods are and are you thinking of selling them?

Oh yeah, (ahem) welcome, and hope you get what you're looking for with regard to club membership.

RoninPanda

Visit site
I'll try and dig them out (they're at the back of the past-move storage), but I don't remember them having anything saying what range they were.

Howley Hall looks nice, might be the one for this weekend's round. Only 5-day memberships open currently according to their website but I'll ask when I go. After some more looking Woodhall Hills seems like another to add to the shortlist.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Woodall Hills is (was last time I played it which was a few years ago) good.

I have a fondness for it as it is the firt course I shot level par off the back tees on.

My first ever round of golf and membership was at Calverley just up the road.

You seem to have quite a wide radius of places you are looking at. Where do you live?