South Lake District / Silverdale Courses

Sirmol

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a member of Morecambe and love the course - it is also in belting condition at the moment! It isn't really hilly at all, maybe 2/3 holes which have slight up hill fairways - nothing compared to Silverdale or Kendal courses.
I would also look at Bentham course - newly changed around it offers some long 5's brilliant 3's and a nice finishing 18th. Bonus is the staff are lovely! I would have it as my home course if it wasn't just a little too far to travel from Lancaster (when i compare it to Morecambe).
Marc

BretbyBlue

Hacker
Visit site
I used to live in Ulverston and an ex-member. I have played all the courses aorund the South Lakes area. I may be biased, but 3OfftheTee has it right. Go to Ulverston, it is mainly dual carriageway to Ulverston, and then about 3 miles out from there. Used regular for County Matches (always a good indicator), and if you get the weather right, you look right into the Lake District (Coniston Old Man range) and overlook Morecambe Bay. You also see Hoad Monument (a lighthouse on a hill inland) often. The 5th is a great par 3, and the 17th (blind tee shot over a ravine) and 18th are great fun. Do the drive, it should be worth it, and come back and tell us your views.

PS: Ulverston is a great place to go for some beers, many good pubs with real ales, cobbled streets and home of Stan Laurel, with a museum. Have fun,

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think it's fair to say there are some good courses to choose from! From what I've heard this year ulverston (55 minutes) can now be considered as polished as lancaster ( clubhouse is a castle for gods sake) while morecambe (21 minutes), heysham, silverdale and Bentham are very good as well with, IMHO, the best greens at morecambe and heysham! Kirkby, unfortunately should be a no no as while it is in one of the greatest settings I have seen, it has been struggling over recent years and the standards have dropped ( could do with being taken over!) ESP the greens and who wants to pay for that? On the subject of no no, grange should be ignored - it claims Mckenzie but I think he was hung over. On the plus side the only hill is a climb of 6 feet to one of the greens so very easy walking:D

Sir mol - you inviting me for a game then;)

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Hopeless, absolutely hopeless:D
That's true. He is! ;)

I wouldn't really call Morecambe hilly, although it's either 3rd, 4th or 5th hole, where if you put your drive too far right, then you'll be playing the second of the side of a mountain! Splashtryagain has seen me do that!

It's one of my favourite courses in the UK and well worth a visit.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I'm a member of Morecambe and love the course - it is also in belting condition at the moment! It isn't really hilly at all, maybe 2/3 holes which have slight up hill fairways - nothing compared to Silverdale or Kendal courses.
I would also look at Bentham course - newly changed around it offers some long 5's brilliant 3's and a nice finishing 18th. Bonus is the staff are lovely! I would have it as my home course if it wasn't just a little too far to travel from Lancaster (when i compare it to Morecambe).
Marc

Sorry, I wasn't trying to put anyone off Morecambe, we play it every year in our society, it's a fine course always in good nick. I do think though, as it's nearly on the beach that it's easy to assume it will be very flat and I was just pointing out that it's probably more "undulating" than you would think. There's a reasonable uphill drag on the 10th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 17th. Nothing too strenuous and certainly not anywhere near a "goat track" but maybe a consideration if you have a bad knee.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our society played Morecambe last month...

I was feeling a bit delicate and it was blowing hard, I scored 15 points and subsequently my review of the course is bias.

Didn't enjoy it at all. I remember being frustrated by blind shots.....