Wales short golf break

wuban_warrior

Visit site
Afternoon golfers.

New here and first post...be gentle! :ROFLMAO:

My buddy and I are looking at having a short golfing get away to south wales at some point over the summer and are looking for some course recommendations that are not too pricey. We're not the best golfers; I play off about 28 and my buddy is higher than that.

For info, we're looking at driving down from Thanet, Kent after work on the Friday, playing 27 holes on the Saturday (either a 9 then 18 or 3 lots of 9), then either 9 or 18 on the Sunday morning before driving back home Sunday afternoon/evening.

We currently pay between £20 & £30 for 18 holes on a weekend back home, depending on which course we play, so ideally looking at that sort of budget.

We've picked South Wales as this is where my buddy is originally from (not far from Cardiff) so we can catch up (drink!) with his family on the Saturday evening.

Any hidden gems/recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Thinking about courses in your budget that allow access to non members at weekends and won't beat you up....... my knowledge is nearer Newport rather than Cardiff..

Have a look at Peterstone Lakes between Newport and Cardiff. Decent layout, I think they allow visitors at weekends too.

Tredegar Park in Newport might be similarly accessible...

Also call Llanwern GC and St Mellons.

I'm sure you'll get some positive responses from these.

Nearer Cardiff, call Whitchurch and Radyr. But not sure about weekend access and prices...

Last edited:

wuban_warrior

Visit site
Thinking about courses in your budget that allows access to non members at weekends and won't beat you up....... my knowledge is nearer Newport rather than Cardiff..

Have a look at Peterstone Lakes between Newport and Cardiff. Decent layout, I think they allow visitors at weekends too.

Tredegar Park in Newport might be similarly accessible...

Also call Llanwern GC and St Mellons.

I'm sure you'll get some positives responses from these.

Nearer Cardiff, call Whitchurch and Radyr. But not sure about weekend access and prices...

Thanks Ian, location wise we can be fairly flexible; I'll be driving my works vehicle down so fuel/milage isn't an issue if there's a decent track a little furthe rout.

Thank you for the info though, I shall take a look.

Cheers

babylonsinger

Visit site
Plenty of cheaper courses in and around the M4/A470 area. Been a while since I've played at a good few of these but this will at least give you some courses to look into.

Cottrell Park has two courses which may enable to play one each day for ease of travel. The resort is easily accessible from M4. Not sure on prices but there were almost always deal available on Golf Now etc.

Can't say I've played too many other Cardiff courses but Wenvoe Castle was reasonably enjoyable when I played at a golf day there a few years back. Same sort of area as Cottrell Park so easily reached.

Radyr and Creigiau are on the northern outskirts of Cardiff and are both good courses. Both areas are seen as high brow though so no idea how welcoming they would be and that may also mean prices are higher.

For cheaper green fees you are likely to need to head west or north of Cardiff. Plenty of decent courses within your budget and within roughly 30 mins of the M4. Pontypridd, Rhondda, Aberdare, Mountain Ash, Morlais Castle . There is a quirky 9 hole course just north of Pontypridd called Whitehall which you could play at alongside 18 at any of the other courses. Couple of other courses around there (I've not personally played either but I would imagine both would be fine for you) are Caerphilly and Llantrisant and Pontyclun).

Coed Y Mwster which is in the Bridgend area was also excellent value when I played it pre Covid and would be worth a look as it isnt too far from Cardiff. There are plenty of other courses a bit further out than these and I would recommend either Neath or Cradoc if you are happy to travel a bit further afield.

You may struggle to get a tee time sunday morning with competitions likely scheduled and if all else fails try Ridgeway or Mountain View which are within 5 minutes of each other on Caerphilly mountain just outside Cardiff. Neither place will blow you away but both are enjoyable enough for the price.

Enjoy

wuban_warrior

Visit site
Plenty of cheaper courses in and around the M4/A470 area. Been a while since I've played at a good few of these but this will at least give you some courses to look into.

Cottrell Park has two courses which may enable to play one each day for ease of travel. The resort is easily accessible from M4. Not sure on prices but there were almost always deal available on Golf Now etc.

Can't say I've played too many other Cardiff courses but Wenvoe Castle was reasonably enjoyable when I played at a golf day there a few years back. Same sort of area as Cottrell Park so easily reached.

Radyr and Creigiau are on the northern outskirts of Cardiff and are both good courses. Both areas are seen as high brow though so no idea how welcoming they would be and that may also mean prices are higher.

For cheaper green fees you are likely to need to head west or north of Cardiff. Plenty of decent courses within your budget and within roughly 30 mins of the M4. Pontypridd, Rhondda, Aberdare, Mountain Ash, Morlais Castle . There is a quirky 9 hole course just north of Pontypridd called Whitehall which you could play at alongside 18 at any of the other courses. Couple of other courses around there (I've not personally played either but I would imagine both would be fine for you) are Caerphilly and Llantrisant and Pontyclun).

Coed Y Mwster which is in the Bridgend area was also excellent value when I played it pre Covid and would be worth a look as it isnt too far from Cardiff. There are plenty of other courses a bit further out than these and I would recommend either Neath or Cradoc if you are happy to travel a bit further afield.

You may struggle to get a tee time sunday morning with competitions likely scheduled and if all else fails try Ridgeway or Mountain View which are within 5 minutes of each other on Caerphilly mountain just outside Cardiff. Neither place will blow you away but both are enjoyable enough for the price.

Enjoy
Ah thank you very much for the info, greatly appreciated. Much to look into thank you. My buddy is from Pontypridd it turns out so that's a good shout!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah thank you very much for the info, greatly appreciated. Much to look into thank you. My buddy is from Pontypridd it turns out so that's a good shout!

Welcome to the forum!

My wife is from Thanet so I know it well. Where do you play around there? I had a very enjoyable round over Easter at Westgate & Birchington, which is probably my favourite (excluding North Foreland).

wuban_warrior

Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

My wife is from Thanet so I know it well. Where do you play around there? I had a very enjoyable round over Easter at Westgate & Birchington, which is probably my favourite (excluding North Foreland).

Most of the time my buddy and I play Stonelees; sometimes Manston as well. Yet to plat Westgate & Birchington, North Foreland or St.Augustines although there are on the list to try and have a bash around over the summer as well.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit further out is Woodlake Park. Looks like you're driving into a farm, but dont be put off, for the money, great greens and superb views! £32 at weekends
Ian, have you played The Monmouthshire recently? Just wondering what it is like these days. I’ve Not played it for a while but used to enjoy it. The run of three par 5s in a row is a bit bonkers though.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of the time my buddy and I play Stonelees; sometimes Manston as well. Yet to plat Westgate & Birchington, North Foreland or St.Augustines although there are on the list to try and have a bash around over the summer as well.

North Foreland is lovely, it goes without saying. But of the others, I like Westgate and Birchington the best, played it with a couple of total beginners at Easter and we were all able to enjoy it!

Haven't played Manston for years and not played Stoneless much, (maybe once?). St Augustines a few times, which is nice too. Lots of good options for good value golf round there!

babylonsinger

Visit site
I drove us to The Vale, couldn't tell you were it was though, but worth a try, 2 courses and the hotel was lovely.

Were you able to play both courses? Played there a few times but only at the National as the Lakes was always a members only.

Location wise the Vale is another that is very good but price wise comfortably over the budget these days particularly on a weekend. Lovely place though I agree

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ian, have you played The Monmouthshire recently? Just wondering what it is like these days. I’ve Not played it for a while but used to enjoy it. The run of three par 5s in a row is a bit bonkers though.

Was there during covid restrictions when we had to stay within the county, my course is in Gwent and I live on Monmouthshire! (We has reciprocals set up)

There are bits of it that are a bit odd, but overall the setting is great and it was in good condition. Definitely worth playing still.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Were you able to play both courses? Played there a few times but only at the National as the Lakes was always a members only.

Location wise the Vale is another that is very good but price wise comfortably over the budget these days particularly on a weekend. Lovely place though I agree

Yeah mate, must've been our 2019 away weekend. Didn't have any issues, booked through golfbreaks.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I drove us to The Vale, couldn't tell you were it was though, but worth a try, 2 courses and the hotel was lovely.

Not too far from Celtic Manor as I recall and, for the money, our group all preferred The Vale, having played both courses there.