Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

Ista

Hacker
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Has the course finally closed, have the football club moved in?

Its closed last August but work hasn't started on the training facilities yet. There was another 9 hole course a mile down the road called Charnock Brow which I believe has also closed due to the land owners wanting to sell the farm buildings and converted farm land the course was built on.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Hi John,

Here's one for you, a short lived 9 holer on the edge of Leicester Forest East in Leicestershire, had you blinked you'd probably have missed its very existence.

GolfShake seems to have the most information about it; 2,200 yards, par 31, but no scorecard.
http://www.golfshake.com/course/view/15197/Kingstand_Golf_Country_Club.html

The layout still shows up on Google Maps although it's apparently housing now.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Its closed last August but work hasn't started on the training facilities yet. There was another 9 hole course a mile down the road called Charnock Brow which I believe has also closed due to the land owners wanting to sell the farm buildings and converted farm land the course was built on.

Thank you for the information. I assume it will be only a matter of time before the work starts on the training ground. I will put something together for Charnock Brow and enter it on the GML website in due course.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Hi John,

Here's one for you, a short lived 9 holer on the edge of Leicester Forest East in Leicestershire, had you blinked you'd probably have missed its very existence.

GolfShake seems to have the most information about it; 2,200 yards, par 31, but no scorecard.
http://www.golfshake.com/course/view/15197/Kingstand_Golf_Country_Club.html

The layout still shows up on Google Maps although it's apparently housing now.

Whoops, forgot to put the name on: Kingstand Golf & Country Club

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

I haven't read this thread so not sure if it has been mentioned, but St Georges Hill had a second 18 at one time. It closed/reduced to 9 holes after the second world war, through lack of demand.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hi John - Pyecombe GC had a ladies 9 hole links separate to the 'main' course when opened in 1894. Undue how long it remained being played but has long since gone.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I haven't read this thread so not sure if it has been mentioned, but St Georges Hill had a second 18 at one time. It closed/reduced to 9 holes after the second world war, through lack of demand.

Thanks for the info, had no idea of the second eighteen. Had a quick look on the club website and it does mention it. I will contact my Harry Colt friend to see if has anything on it. I will PM you if I find anything.
John.

D

Deleted member 18588

Thanks. Any idea when it may have closed. I will put something together and add it to the website in the next day or so.

Within the last 12 months. Sheep currently grazing the course but the housing being developed adjacent to the course will, I understand, extend onto the site. Opened in early '90s and provided a handy pay & play opportunity for newcomers to the game.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi John - Pyecombe GC had a ladies 9 hole links separate to the 'main' course when opened in 1894. Undue how long it remained being played but has long since gone.

Hi there, thanks for the information regarding the seperate ladies' course at Pyecombe. It's mentioned on the club website as being "across the main road" from the main course. I will put something together and include a piece on the Golf's Missing Links website.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

John (and B in M). I've got some more info on Elmstead Woods GC and changes over the years at Sundridge Park

Elmstead Woods GC was formed in 1907 as a 9 holes (played twice) and occupied the parkland to the south of the Mansion. The area is now holes 2 - 8 and 12 - 14 of the current East course. Original entrance fee for full members was 1 guinea (£1.05) and annual subs 3 1/2 guineas.

The original Sundridge Park 18 holes comprised the current 1 - 3, 10 - 18 of the West. The rest of the course was in a triangle to the north of New Street Hill (as is now) and bounded on the other two sides by the railway lines. This area is now covered by housing.

The 9 hole course for the ladies was to the west of the current West course and is now some tennis courts and allotments.

So effectively, Elmstead Woods GC has disappeared but in a new guise, 8 holes of the original Sundridge Park West course have gone as have the 9 hole ladies course.

John, I will get a bit more info scanned and PM'd to you soon.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

A couple of links with a scorecards for Kingstand Golf Club, not sure how long it will stay up now the club is closed.

http://www.mygolfexperience.com/ViewGolfCourse.asp?clubID=1589&courseID=1552
http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=28479

Thanks for the links. The course must have undergone a few changes in its short life. The two above differ and I have found another one as well. Anyway I have put one of the scorecards on now if you want to take a look.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

John (and B in M). I've got some more info on Elmstead Woods GC and changes over the years at Sundridge Park

Elmstead Woods GC was formed in 1907 as a 9 holes (played twice) and occupied the parkland to the south of the Mansion. The area is now holes 2 - 8 and 12 - 14 of the current East course. Original entrance fee for full members was 1 guinea (£1.05) and annual subs 3 1/2 guineas.

The original Sundridge Park 18 holes comprised the current 1 - 3, 10 - 18 of the West. The rest of the course was in a triangle to the north of New Street Hill (as is now) and bounded on the other two sides by the railway lines. This area is now covered by housing.

The 9 hole course for the ladies was to the west of the current West course and is now some tennis courts and allotments.

So effectively, Elmstead Woods GC has disappeared but in a new guise, 8 holes of the original Sundridge Park West course have gone as have the 9 hole ladies course.

John, I will get a bit more info scanned and PM'd to you soon.

Thank you for the information confirming the location of the Elmstead course. I had no idea that the ladies had a seperate nine-hole course. Was this the Sundridge Ladies Club or the Elmstead Ladies? I will include an entry on the Golf's Missing Links website for the defunct ladies course.
Look forward to the new info.
John.

D

Deleted member 18588

Thanks for the links. The course must have undergone a few changes in its short life. The two above differ and I have found another one as well. Anyway I have put one of the scorecards on now if you want to take a look.

Certainly must have changed since I last played there approx 12-15 years ago. At that time the 1st was a par 4 and the 8th a par 5. Overall it was significantly longer than 2200 yards.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Certainly must have changed since I last played there approx 12-15 years ago. At that time the 1st was a par 4 and the 8th a par 5. Overall it was significantly longer than 2200 yards.

Was the range there then?

Maybe they squeezed the course a bit to fit in the range in the hope that that would bring more income?

D

Deleted member 18588

Was the range there then?

Maybe they squeezed the course a bit to fit in the range in the hope that that would bring more income?

Yes the range was there in the early days then, I believe, it became the basis of the gym/fitness centre. I don't think they ever really promoted the range which was a shame considering the lack of such facilities in and around Leicester.