GM Top 100 courses

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've danced around this a bit but it seems there are a couple of things, more "talking points" than "issues", that are getting a bit conflated. So here's my take, for what it's worth.

It's a great feature, no doubt about that. I haven't read GM for a few months but I'll be buying this issue to read the top 100 courses feature. (Incidentally I've been looking the last few days but haven't seen it - is it out yet?) I particularly like that there is a panel that includes "ordinary" golfers contributing to the rankings rather than golf industry professionals/journalists divvying it up.

If it was simply a ranking of the best courses based on how they play from the white tees and no other considerations that would be a perfectly valid and interesting article in its own right, but I think it's about more than that; the welcome at the clubhouse, the facilities, the course layout and condition etc. The deliberate spread of abilities in the panel suggests an attempt to get a balanced rating for the experience across different levels of golfer. All good stuff.

On the gender side of things, I think there are two different factors; does the experience a course provides for female golfers (if it differs) affect its overall rating and are women part of the panel? In my opinion the former is more important, although it is probably easier to assess if the latter is in place.

I believe courses that offer a frosty welcome to female visitors should be marked down on that basis. Those that have well laid out and appropriately positioned red tees should score higher than those that have just dumped them at the start of each fairway without any thought for maintaining the character of the hole. Even better, those courses that have two or (even better) three sets of tees rated for women should be credited for such good practice.

The reason there aren't currently any female panelists has already been spelled out and is hard to argue with but I'm sure the course raters are already asked to consider how the course might play for better/worse players than themselves? It would be an easy matter to add a few things such as the above to consider.

I realise GM isn't about crusading to right any perceived inequities in golf and that it needs to primarily appeal to its largely male readership but factoring this into the ratings would make them even more useful for women and might even encourage a few courses to put a bit more thought into their offering for female golfers. I genuinely think in most instances there isn't deliberate discrimination going on, just the failure to step back and think things through from a different perspective or to realise women play golf at a wide range of levels rather than catering just for the shorter hitters.

I don't want to go naming and shaming courses any more than I've already done on the thread but there are some courses out there getting it so right and others that are miles behind the times, and it's not always the ones you expect in each regard. I think that should be recognised and shaking up the GM top 100 would be one way to do it.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've danced around this a bit but it seems there are a couple of things, more "talking points" than "issues", that are getting a bit conflated. So here's my take, for what it's worth.

It's a great feature, no doubt about that. I haven't read GM for a few months but I'll be buying this issue to read the top 100 courses feature. (Incidentally I've been looking the last few days but haven't seen it - is it out yet?) I particularly like that there is a panel that includes "ordinary" golfers contributing to the rankings rather than golf industry professionals/journalists divvying it up.

If it was simply a ranking of the best courses based on how they play from the white tees and no other considerations that would be a perfectly valid and interesting article in its own right, but I think it's about more than that; the welcome at the clubhouse, the facilities, the course layout and condition etc. The deliberate spread of abilities in the panel suggests an attempt to get a balanced rating for the experience across different levels of golfer. All good stuff.

On the gender side of things, I think there are two different factors; does the experience a course provides for female golfers (if it differs) affect its overall rating and are women part of the panel? In my opinion the former is more important, although it is probably easier to assess if the latter is in place.

I believe courses that offer a frosty welcome to female visitors should be marked down on that basis. Those that have well laid out and appropriately positioned red tees should score higher than those that have just dumped them at the start of each fairway without any thought for maintaining the character of the hole. Even better, those courses that have two or (even better) three sets of tees rated for women should be credited for such good practice.

The reason there aren't currently any female panelists has already been spelled out and is hard to argue with but I'm sure the course raters are already asked to consider how the course might play for better/worse players than themselves? It would be an easy matter to add a few things such as the above to consider.

I realise GM isn't about crusading to right any perceived inequities in golf and that it needs to primarily appeal to its largely male readership but factoring this into the ratings would make them even more useful for women and might even encourage a few courses to put a bit more thought into their offering for female golfers. I genuinely think in most instances there isn't deliberate discrimination going on, just the failure to step back and think things through from a different perspective or to realise women play golf at a wide range of levels rather than catering just for the shorter hitters.

I don't want to go naming and shaming courses any more than I've already done on the thread but there are some courses out there getting it so right and others that are miles behind the times, and it's not always the ones you expect in each regard. I think that should be recognised and shaking up the GM top 100 would be one way to do it.

A wonderful post and some magnificent points eloquently put. I understand GM isn't going to crusade too strongly (and there is Lady Golfer and other online sites that do cater specifically for the female golfer). It would be interesting to see what differences the welcome, course layout etc would make to some course positions. That aside, a well constructed reply

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
A few more observations on this debate…

I'm ONLY interested in producing the most authoritative set of top 100 course rankings we can, so the ONLY things that matter when recruiting a panelist is their ability to assess a golf course working to the criteria and assessment guidelines we issue to them

Inclusion of female panelists
Applications to join the panel are invited from all golfers regardless of age and gender providing they fit our basic requirements.

As I say in my 10 years as editor – I have overseen every ranking since the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] iteration – we have not had a single application from a female golfer. I don’t know why but we haven’t. This despite calls to action in the magazine and on the forum

I think the clamor by a small but vocal minority of forum users for us to is misplaced and driven by an agenda that wants to promote this notion of 'inclusivity' even if it's at the expense of quality.

To have a female golfer on the panel, just because they are female is, in my book, tokenism. Something I don’t subscribe to.

I don’t believe in social engineering, positive discrimination, ticking quota boxes or whatever you want to call it. I believe in merit and quality.

I don’t think I should be 'reaching out' to any person or group to be part of the panel. Any forumer who knows a female golfer who fits our basic criteria and would be a good addition should encourage them to apply

They key thing is that the prospective panelists should be motivated by a desire to be part of the process and a love for golf courses.

We get lots of speculative applications to join the panel and I’d say we politely decline 80% of them as they just don’t fit the bill.

Playing handicaps of panel
We have a fairly wide range of handicaps represented in our panels because our rankings are designed to be relevant to our readership and the green fee paying golfer.

That said we are prepared to look at exceptions to the rule and actually have one golfer whose current handicap is 22 (I might add he is 73 years of age and in younger years played to lower than 18 handicap) however when he applied we discovered that not only had huge experience and an extensive golfing CV having played the majority of top 100/next 100 courses and wrote an absolutely superb sample review.

Make up of panel
We don’t include pros, elite amateurs and 'industry figures/personalities' (Alliss, Peter Dawson, Ewan Murray, Ant and Dec, Anton Du Beke, Gareth Pace of Hale and Pace ‘fame’ etc etc) as they aren't typical of the Golf Monthly reader/green fee-paying golfer.

Age of panelists
The reason the average age of panel is around 50 is because we need experienced golfers who have played enough courses to be able to benchmark with a degree of authority – i.e. what are the merits of contender course A vs. contender course B, what courses do you think contender course C is equal to, which section of the top 100 – 1-20-21-40 etc etc do you think course D should be ranked. To be able to do that you HAVE to have played a good number of courses

And, with age comes experience. To have played a significant number of courses usually takes time hence why a lot of the panel are ‘older’

That said we have one panelist – Tim Gallant who despite being just 30, he joined the panel 4 years ago –is a total golf nut and has played over 35 of the top 100 already plus numerous next 100 courses and around 50 of the top courses in the US.

Also because of the expectations we have in terms of the number of assessments that a panelists will carry out – at least 20 in an 18 month period, having the time to be able to dedicate to this means you need spare time. Again this is tends to older golfer with fewer work or family commitments.

Impact of how you played/weather on the day
If you can’t divorce how you have played on any given day (or the weather you played in) from submitting an objective assessment then quite frankly you aren’t cut out for the task in hand. Nowhere on the assessment form do we ask how a golfer played. It’s irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 1147

Out of interest Mike, how do you choose which courses should move into the top 200, which may never have been considered before?
If, for example, a course is trying to improve and has invested to do so, do you or any of the panel visit it specifically because of hearing about it, or do the reviewers just go to various courses throughout the land, without the aim of reviewing it, and just write a piece about each course played?

What I mean is, is none of you have had any cause to visit a course (competition, invitation etc) how would it get your attention so as to be rated?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Out of interest Mike, how do you choose which courses should move into the top 200, which may never have been considered before?
If, for example, a course is trying to improve and has invested to do so, do you or any of the panel visit it specifically because of hearing about it, or do the reviewers just go to various courses throughout the land, without the aim of reviewing it, and just write a piece about each course played?

What I mean is, is none of you have had any cause to visit a course (competition, invitation etc) how would it get your attention so as to be rated?

good question! the answer is there isn't one standard route

Jezz Ellwood and Rob Smith play a vast number of courses each year - a lot of them non top 100 - for their golfer's guide feature in the mag and also for online course reviews which throws the net well outside the top100/next 100

Our assessors do the same and we ask them to flag courses they have played which they think merit closer inspection.

We also look at other lists in other mags/websites, chat to secretaries and county unions and crucially chat to golfers when we are out an about to get word of mouth recommendations on where we should visit.

Often we will have visited those courses already - Rob has played 900 courses and Jezz 750, me 450 and a number of the reader panel similar numbers - and have an opinion but if not then we will certainly try and put them on our hit list

Hope that answers the question. Hopefully we'll get more of the same on December the 7th when we do our top100 live Q&A on the forum (looking at 12-1) and also a Facebook live after that

we are always keen show our working on course rankings so the more questions the better

D

Deleted member 1147

good question! the answer is there isn't one standard route

Jezz Ellwood and Rob Smith play a vast number of courses each year - a lot of them non top 100 - for their golfer's guide feature in the mag and also for online course reviews which throws the net well outside the top100/next 100

Our assessors do the same and we ask them to flag courses they have played which they think merit closer inspection.

We also look at other lists in other mags/websites, chat to secretaries and county unions and crucially chat to golfers when we are out an about to get word of mouth recommendations on where we should visit.

Often we will have visited those courses already - Rob has played 900 courses and Jezz 750, me 450 and a number of the reader panel similar numbers - and have an opinion but if not then we will certainly try and put them on our hit list

Hope that answers the question. Hopefully we'll get more of the same on December the 7th when we do our top100 live Q&A on the forum (looking at 12-1) and also a Facebook live after that

we are always keen show our working on course rankings so the more questions the better

Cheers Mike, I'll save the rest of the Q's up for the 7th (sorry I forgot about the Q&A)

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I'm ONLY interested in producing the most authoritative set of top 100 course rankings we can, so the ONLY things that matter when recruiting a panelist is their ability to assess a golf course working to the criteria and assessment guidelines we issue to them

Applications to join the panel are invited from all golfers regardless of age and gender providing they fit our basic requirements.

As I say in my 10 years as editor – I have overseen every ranking since the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] iteration – we have not had a single application from a female golfer. I don’t know why but we haven’t. This despite calls to action in the magazine and on the forum

I think the clamor by a small but vocal minority of forum users for us to is misplaced and driven by an agenda that wants to promote this notion of 'inclusivity' even if it's at the expense of quality.

To have a female golfer on the panel, just because they are female is, in my book, tokenism. Something I don’t subscribe to.

I don’t believe in social engineering, positive discrimination, ticking quota boxes or whatever you want to call it. I believe in merit and quality.

I don’t think I should be 'reaching out' to any person or group to be part of the panel. Any forumer who knows a female golfer who fits our basic criteria and would be a good addition should encourage them to apply

They key thing is that the prospective panelists should be motivated by a desire to be part of the process and a love for golf courses.

We get lots of speculative applications to join the panel and I’d say we politely decline 80% of them as they just don’t fit the bill.

We have a fairly wide range of handicaps represented in our panels because our rankings are designed to be relevant to our readership and the green fee paying golfer.

That said we are prepared to look at exceptions to the rule and actually have one golfer whose current handicap is 22 (I might add he is 73 years of age and in younger years played to lower than 18 handicap) however when he applied we discovered that not only had huge experience and an extensive golfing CV having played the majority of top 100/next 100 courses and wrote an absolutely superb sample review.

Make up of panel
We don’t include pros, elite amateurs and 'industry figures/personalities' (Alliss, Peter Dawson, Ewan Murray, Ant and Dec, Anton Du Beke, Gareth Pace of Hale and Pace ‘fame’ etc etc) as they aren't typical of the Golf Monthly reader/green fee-paying golfer.

Age of panelists
The reason the average age of panel is around 50 is because we need experienced golfers who have played enough courses to be able to benchmark with a degree of authority – i.e. what are the merits of contender course A vs. contender course B, what courses do you think contender course C is equal to, which section of the top 100 – 1-20-21-40 etc etc do you think course D should be ranked. To be able to do that you HAVE to have played a good number of courses

And, with age comes experience. To have played a significant number of courses usually takes time hence why a lot of the panel are ‘older’

That said we have one panelist – Tim Gallant who despite being just 30, he joined the panel 4 years ago –is a total golf nut and has played over 35 of the top 100 already plus numerous next 100 courses and around 50 of the top courses in the US.

Also because of the expectations we have in terms of the number of assessments that a panelists will carry out – at least 20 in an 18 month period, having the time to be able to dedicate to this means you need spare time. Again this is tends to older golfer with fewer work or family commitments.

If you can’t divorce how you have played on any given day (or the weather you played in) from submitting an objective assessment then quite frankly you aren’t cut out for the task in hand. Nowhere on the assessment form do we ask how a golfer played. It’s irrelevant.

Excellent post fella👍

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Make up of panel

Age of panelists

Might clear post.

Also so good to see an honest response to why people may or may not be on the panel. Think it's only fair you stay true to the readership.

Cant appeal to the masses and then succumb to the minority's for a few brownie points.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Make up of panel

Age of panelists

But for this Forum & its members I'd be driven mad through being unable to share such diverse golfing experiences with fellow golfers. Mention such to the golfers at my place & they ask "What's the point?"...... "Do mountaineers keep climbing the same mountain?" I've found to be a good response :eek:ne:
It's been great following the debate on this & superb that you engage so frankly Mike... in a day & age when so many other journalistic forms are at 'gutter-level'.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not? Do you think all the best course architects in the world are low handicappers?

Would my 65 year old neighbour off 18 be a bad reviewer? He's an ex county champion and former 1 hc.
Yee Gods... need to keep clear of him. :confused:
I'm 69 in a couple of weeks, got lowest ever, & buffered, this year at 9.7 & still striving for single figures before I'm 70...... has yer neighbour lost a limb or something? :eek:
PS. Your safe Mike..... I struggle to remember one hole from the next so would make a crap reviewer...... on the other hand I've just, finally, completed compiling my full list of courses played... just past the 200 mark.... & "Yes" I do, at least, remember where I've played :rofl:

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apologies for asking a question before Q&A session
I'm lucky enough to be a member of S&A, which has recently been voted as Golf Club of The Year, does this automatically lead to a climb up the charts?
Also construction of a halfway house is starting next month, are things like this considered when coming up with rankings?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm lucky enough to be a member of S&A, which has recently been voted as Golf Club of The Year, does this automatically lead to a climb up the charts?
Also construction of a halfway house is starting next month, are things like this considered when coming up with rankings?

fancy signing 3 top 100 golf course chasers in one day next year? 😄

Id happily reciprocate at Burnham & Berrow (ranked 31st) if every YOU fancied a trip down!

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow. A lot of hot air being expelled in here.

It's just a list.
Based on some people's personal opinion.
Other people.might have different opinions.
You are free to make up your own list.
Or make up your own mind.

Why moan about the people who make up the list? Or moan when people moan about your list?

In the grand scheme of things, it's not very significant.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site

Hi Peter
we wouldn't take any third party awards into account per se although we do take an interest in things like that
yes halfway huts and indeed all catering and other facilities are taken into account under the experience criteria

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Finally found time to buy the mag and went straight to the top 100. I dont play many away course i could count this years on my middle finger. I understand the process set out by the mag but theres defo a flaw somewhere. I cant quite put my finger on it but here goes. Ive not got mag to hand so bare with me. I joined Machrihanish Dunes this season after a lot of tooing and swaying. Old mach or dunes mmmm. Finally decided on dunes . Ive played both many times and enjoyed both equally.
But come on The Dunes only mentioned in next 100. Ure having a laugh.
My review is based on condition and maintenance of course as both course are very similar.
The condition of old mach and its lack of control or possible apathy over the last two three years made my choice very easy. I know a new person was brought in and have heard bits here n there. BUT yes a big BUT Machrihanish Dunes is miles ahead in condition by a country mile. Ive played it the last few sundays and unwould never know it was winter. ( well apart from the wind) ok there are other factors for making the top 100. But im just amazed it never made the top 100.
Holes 15 and 16 are brilliant holes in run up to the last two card wreckers of 17 and 18.
How did u play 17 and 18 Jezz cos ive no clue. 17 i play like a drive a wee wedge to edge of hill then wedge again. 18 if u dont make the cliff uve no chance of getting over them. I wud happily take a 5 all day.
My wee rant isnt biased as i carefully picked which of the two to join.
Anyway Jezz if u say u got 5 and 5 at 17 and 18i believe u.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Having played both courses I do find it bizarre to say the least that GM seem to see over 50 places between the two courses. Machrihanish Dunes has improved every time I've returned to play it.

Machrihanish on the other hand has stagnated over the last few years. Hopefully now it's on the right track but it'll take time to get it back to where it once was.

I'd be interested to know what the review/report was on Machrihanish Dunes and why it failed to get into the top 100 when (my opinion) there are a good few lesser courses in that list.

Also when you hear others rating it so highly it's a strange omission.

http://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/2016/12/07/played-ncg/