GM Top 100 courses

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Was browsing though the mag the other day and saw this article.

There are 36 people on the selection panel. None of them are women.

This seems a little lopsided. Not altogether surprising, given GMs coverage of Charley Hull's recent victory, but still a little remiss.

After all, most courses play differently off the Ladies tees. Most clubhouses have different facilities for Ladies. Some may even treat them differently or make them drink somewhere else afterwards. Is none of this of any relevance when selecting a ranking of courses? I would have thought it was. GM reminds me of a lot of golf clubs; lip service paid, old habits die hard...

Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing GM response on this

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So who thinks the £350 green fee for summer season at Trump turnberry is worth it?
Double the old course?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So who thinks the £350 green fee for summer season at Trump turnberry is worth it?
Double the old course?

I'm not convinced many pay that. most of the footfall is with tour companies and they all have good deals. and for the American Market they sort of work on the proviso that the more expensive it is the better it is.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was browsing though the mag the other day and saw this article.

There are 36 people on the selection panel. None of them are women.

This seems a little lopsided. Not altogether surprising, given GMs coverage of Charley Hull's recent victory, but still a little remiss.

After all, most courses play differently off the Ladies tees. Most clubhouses have different facilities for Ladies. Some may even treat them differently or make them drink somewhere else afterwards. Is none of this of any relevance when selecting a ranking of courses? I would have thought it was. GM reminds me of a lot of golf clubs; lip service paid, old habits die hard...

That is a shameful figure, come on GM wake up to the brave new world.
An explanation of the male only jury would be interesting ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't know the reason but maybe it's as simple as no women have ever expressed an interest in joining the panel?

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems the pitchforks are out for GM and the baying mob demanding answers

How about the answer being simple - no female has asked to be a part of the panel ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems the pitchforks are out for GM and the baying mob demanding answers

How about the answer being simple - no female has asked to be a part of the panel ?

And how many females (and how many males) knew you could ask to be part of it. It's a valid question especially in this day and age and you are someone that regularly goes on about growing the game. Surely this has to be one area that needs looking at. You can expand that, and how many females are part of testing panels, not just in GM. I know the opportunities on here can be entered by all, and can't say if that applies for other mags and online sites. Is there any females included in a test panel anywhere?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The last time the top 100 came out there was a good thread that had the GM guys answering any and all questions on the list and the panel was one of the subjects discussed.

Worth a search for anyone interested...

D

Deleted member 16999

Why is it shameful? Have you also checked if the panel has the politically correct spread of ages or sexual orientation or handicaps or ethnicity or financial status etc. Can we simply not trust 36 males to make fair decisions.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Why is it shameful? Have you also checked if the panel has the politically correct spread of ages or sexual orientation or handicaps or ethnicity or financial status etc. Can we simply not trust 36 males to make fair decisions.

Some might suggest it's not a fair reflection of the make up of the golfing population

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
were there not selection criteria for getting on the panel? didn't you have to have already played many of the courses already?

maybe no women have asked to be on the panel or have played enough of the top 100 to make the panel???

D

Deleted member 16999

Some might suggest it's not a fair reflection of the make up of the golfing population
Fair and shameful have completely different meanings, why has nobody asked if the age range or ethnicity is a fair reflection of the make up of the golfing population.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair and shameful have completely different meanings, why has nobody asked if the age range or ethnicity is a fair reflection of the make up of the golfing population.

As someone mentioned earlier. The women play from a different tee so may see the course differently.

I think it's a fair question, don't k ow why people are blindly leaping to the defence of GM. Pretty sure they can stick up for themselves.

D

Deleted member 16999

As someone mentioned earlier. The women play from a different tee so may see the course differently.

I think it's a fair question, don't k ow why people are blindly leaping to the defence of GM. Pretty sure they can stick up for themselves.
Not blindly jumping to anyones defence Rich, my issue is with the word shameful, completely daft.
How many of us looked at the list and thought "not sure I can read this, don't think they've had any women involved in the decisions"
Sure, ask MikeH the question but leave it to be answered before judging.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site

I never said shameful. I've said it so many times about golf being stuck in the dark ages. I don't have a problem with clubs being exclusive and not allowing women members, however, outlets within the industry, such as GM, have the chance to change the image of golf by being proactive.

My guess is that the panel is made up of white middle class men with an average age of 50. Just a guess...