GM Editor Speaks OUT

T

thecraw

Five pages and growing on here. I'd say Mr Elliot has done what he set out to do. Get people talking and stimulate a good debate. Job done.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our company does/did quite a bit of work for Trump, going back a good few years when the course was first being layed out, so we heard quite a few stories/rumours concerning the homeowners and their 'struggles' with Trump. Bearing this in mind and seeing the benefits that the development has brought to the area, I thought the BBC documentary was very one sided and should be taken with a bucketful of salt.

I really like Bill Elliot and enjoy his contributions to the mag, but I wonder if he was ever so quick and morally driven to turn down an invitation to Augusta bearing in mind their poor record on racism and sexism?

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site
Trump Org was given the option to take part in the doc and refused, and because of that I couldn't give amonkey's if it one sided. And there was enough footage in the doc, without the voice over, that showed what Trump's builders were doing, inc building mounds around property and knocking down fences. Further to that, Grampian Police really showed a huge bias in how they dealt with an ALLEDGED breach of the peace - wonder what led them to display that attitude...

Was Bill Elliot's piece fair and accurate? I was genuinely surprised at the passionate way he expressed his opinion but I'd rather see that than a drab, grey, boring article. Did it sway my opinion of Trump? The Trump has shown time and again with the common people and officials/councils/govts around the world that its Trump's way or the wrong way. He belittles opposition using his media organisation and bully boy tactics with some outlandish statements and churlish threats, "slum," "build that wind farm and I'll..."

Good on yer Bill for taking a stance and defending the little people..

Do you wonder why? Baxter had an agenda, it wouldn't have mattered what was said by Trump inc, it would have either ended on the cutting room floor, or been edited cleverly to suit his purposes.

Remember they did try to get lots of local feedback on film, but that all fell on the floor too, because there was no local opposition that they could find in Balmedie, just three of the households adjacent to the development. You have to ask also why the other houses in the direct locale weren't filmed? Oh that's right, because they were in favour.

It was a horrible agenda driven film, in conflict with the wishes of the majority of locals, and by locals, I mean Balmedie/Menie residents here, not Aberdeen/shire as a whole, where of course there is large support.

Is Trump an arse? Yes clearly, but so are Fobes & Milne. It doesn't make the development wrong, nor the claims of destruction nothing more than wild flights of fancy.

Again, very poor that Mr Elliot couldn't seek to find a more balanced perspective on the issue before commenting.

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site
Trump Org was given the option to take part in the doc and refused.

How do you think that would have turned out? Every single person who was pro-Trump and interviewed ended up on the cutting room floor. The Menie residents other than the 3 families highlighted in the film, are quite happy with Trump, Baxter could find no-one in Balmedie to say anything against the development. So they didn't get any airtime.

That's fair enough, they had an agenda from the off. What isn't fair enough, is a GOLF editor, from a GOLF magazine, swallowing that hook, line & sinker, without even the courtesy of contacting Trumpland for their side of the story, which being a golf publication, I'm sure they would have been only too happy to.

Rent-a-mob like to give the impression they are widely supported, they are not, as you saw in the documentary, there were never more than a handful of them in attendance - as lobthewedge says, there's a very different side to the Menie mob, that doesn't get much publicity. You'll note even on here, the further away from ABZ a poster is, the more anti-Trump they are, because they are fed one line, a line that says an SSSI has been destroyed, yet it's still there, residents evicted from their homes, yet they are all still there, and Trump is an arse - which he is, but it doesn't change whether the development is tremendous, or of value to the area.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gonna be controversial but personally think Trumps comments are fair, was one of the most one sided documentaries Ive ever watched and to then make a decision based on it and publicy broadcast that view strikes me as pretty poor (assuming the decision was soley based on the documentary as the article implies). Like reading Bill's articles but don't agree with this

OK - playing DsA here.

How do you know the documentary was one-sided other than that is what Trumps and his supporters say? Do you think the lobbying and advertising etc Trump will have done in advance of the decision to give the 'go-ahead' would have been completely balanced - representing all points of view equally? Well we all can see and hear what happens if someone doesn't agree with Trump or does something that annoys him (see banning Grants whisky from Trump hotels etc - always a sign of pique/vanity that sort of thing).

And on he goes with plans to build a second course - DESPITE what the opponents of the first and those that have expressed opinion aghainst the develop subsequently. Is he listening to these voices? - sure as hell he isn't. Does he care - sure as hell he doesn't.

The Trump vanity project may be relatively easy to sell to a populace in need of work - though how many 'jobs for locals' he guarantees will be employed in his hotel or on his resort I know not. And don't forget that if you have a fully self-sustainable resort (as resorts tend to keep customers on site) I suspect that any knock-on effect 'boost' to the local economy might be limited - and indeed may well take customer from existing hotels and businesses.

Just saying.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Didn't see the programme and I haven't read Bill's piece yet so I'm about as on the fence as you can get.

How do people know that Bill hasn't done the Journalistic bit and asked Trump's lot for their side?
A lot of the talk here is that he's seen the programme and gone along with it.

Do we know what Bill has and hasn't done to make sure he has enough info to make an informed choice...?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Didn't see the programme and I haven't read Bill's piece yet so I'm about as on the fence as you can get.

How do people know that Bill hasn't done the Journalistic bit and asked Trump's lot for their side?

Do we know what Bill has and hasn't done to make sure he has enough info to make an informed choice...?

Bill says in his article he was going to play the Trump course until he watched the documentary, now he isn't. If he has attempted to contact Trump, he doesn't mention it, his views appear to be entirely founded on what he saw on TV.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Its whats implied in the article, however I caveated in my post for that reason

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK - playing DsA here.

How do you know the documentary was one-sided other than that is what Trumps and his supporters say? Do you think the lobbying and advertising etc Trump will have done in advance of the decision to give the 'go-ahead' would have been completely balanced - representing all points of view equally? Well we all can see and hear what happens if someone doesn't agree with Trump or does something that annoys him (see banning Grants whisky from Trump hotels etc - always a sign of pique/vanity that sort of thing).

And on he goes with plans to build a second course - DESPITE what the opponents of the first and those that have expressed opinion aghainst the develop subsequently. Is he listening to these voices? - sure as hell he isn't. Does he care - sure as hell he doesn't.

The Trump vanity project may be relatively easy to sell to a populace in need of work - though how many 'jobs for locals' he guarantees will be employed in his hotel or on his resort I know not. And don't forget that if you have a fully self-sustainable resort (as resorts tend to keep customers on site) I suspect that any knock-on effect 'boost' to the local economy might be limited - and indeed may well take customer from existing hotels and businesses.

Just saying.

I know the documentary is one sided from watching it and forming my opinion.

This discussion for me has never been about the rights or wrongs of what Trump has or hasnt done but about Bills article making a decision based solely on the documentary.

The discussion on the truth is much harder as pretty much none of us know it but I expect as usual it lies somewhere in the middle of the views the 2 camps are expressing

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know the documentary is one sided from watching it and forming my opinion.

This discussion for me has never been about the rights or wrongs of what Trump has or hasnt done but about Bills article making a decision based solely on the documentary.

The discussion on the truth is much harder as pretty much none of us know it but I expect as usual it lies somewhere in the middle of the views the 2 camps are expressing

Exactly where I'm coming from

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site

I suspect that any knock-on effect 'boost' to the local economy might be limited - and indeed may well take customer from existing hotels and businesses.

Just saying.
Those against his project are in a very small minority, why should he go along with them? maybe he's listening to those who're supporting him?

You'll find the local hotel trade were very much behind Trump and his project, room space in Aberdeen is at a premium.

Both these points you've made, are very much like Bill's, made without actually seeking out any facts first. That is the main problem with his article.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Those against his project are in a very small minority, why should he go along with them? maybe he's listening to those who're supporting him?

You'll find the local hotel trade were very much behind Trump and his project, room space in Aberdeen is at a premium.

Both these points you've made, are very much like Bill's, made without actually seeking out any facts first. That is the main problem with his article.
Yes i'm sure the local hotel trade is over the moon , that a big complex with everything onsite including dorms for the 400 or so low paid casual workers to live be built on there doorstep.

Along with the RSPB, SNH and Sepa, all over the moon;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes i'm sure the local hotel trade is over the moon , that a big complex with everything onsite including dorms for the 400 or so low paid casual workers to live be built on there doorstep.

Along with the RSPB, SNH and Sepa, all over the moon;)

yup - everyone is sooo pleased with things that Trump has decided to go ahead planning a second (presumaly adjacent) course. Jolly good - another fews square miles of natural coastal sand-dune environment carved and shaped into a golf course that we'll all be free to roam over as we please - no doubt.

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Trumps reputation goes before him,he bulldozers is way through scotland while the tartan army(alex salmond's cronies)sit back, and clap him into honary degrees and anything else they can bestow on him,the documentry was one side,but that does'nt make it wrong just watch him if the turbines get the go ahead.

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site

yup - everyone is sooo pleased with things that Trump has decided to go ahead planning a second (presumaly adjacent) course. Jolly good - another fews square miles of natural coastal sand-dune environment carved and shaped into a golf course that we'll all be free to roam over as we please - no doubt.

Guys, seriously, if you don't know what you're speaking about, at least try to find out first.

The local hoteliers association is fully behind the development, it's Chairman - Stuart Spence, who runs the most expensive hotel in Aberdeen, and would you think therefore be most affected by Trump's target audience - even hosted the infamous initial meeting between Trump & Salmond.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Guys, seriously, if you don't know what you're speaking about, at least try to find out first.

The local hoteliers association is fully behind the development, it's Chairman - Stuart Spence, who runs the most expensive hotel in Aberdeen, and would you think therefore be most affected by Trump's target audience - even hosted the infamous initial meeting between Trump & Salmond.
at the time quite a few thought they were going to make a killing out of the whole thing and as for Wee Eck, i doubt he will be singing wiggy's praises anytime soon.

What about, SNH, RSPB and SEPA i suppose they all back it too do they?

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site
at the time quite a few thought they were going to make a killing out of the whole thing and as for Wee Eck, i doubt he will be singing wiggy's praises anytime soon.

So why the previous sarcasm about the hotel trade being over the moon, when you knew full well they were behind the development all along, and still are btw?

What about, SNH, RSPB and SEPA i suppose they all back it too do they?
Nope, they're not, but then we know that. And guess what, the dunes are still there, the birds are still there, and Menie house has been renovated to a high standard.

Also behind it are most of Balmedie, except the local councillor, most of the Menie residents, except the 3 we know about, and most of Aberdeen/shire.

None of this of course is the point - which is that the editorial wasn't just poorly researched, it wasn't researched at all.