GM Editor Speaks OUT

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Guys, seriously, if you don't know what you're speaking about, at least try to find out first.

The local hoteliers association is fully behind the development, it's Chairman - Stuart Spence, who runs the most expensive hotel in Aberdeen, and would you think therefore be most affected by Trump's target audience - even hosted the infamous initial meeting between Trump & Salmond.

I've been travelling to Aberdeen on a regular basis for years and know the costs of rooms there and how difficult it can be to get one. I don't think the hotelliers association cares a monkey's about Trump. They make their killing out of the oil industry. Do you honestly think that the few golfers that go up there per day will make much impact on the local hotel trade?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So why the previous sarcasm about the hotel trade being over the moon, when you knew full well they were behind the development all along, and still are btw?

Nope, they're not, but then we know that. And guess what, the dunes are still there, the birds are still there, and Menie house has been renovated to a high standard.

Also behind it are most of Balmedie, except the local councillor, most of the Menie residents, except the 3 we know about, and most of Aberdeen/shire.

None of this of course is the point - which is that the editorial wasn't just poorly researched, it wasn't researched at all.
Damage to the dunes is now done, many flattened, some are still there but for how long.

I spoke to someone high up in RSPB and he was still fuming about the whole sorry affair, as are SNH, who i might ad the wife works for.

you are prob right there are plenty backing Trump, who lets face it thought they are going to make a killing off the back of it. but like the building of the golf course the work will mostly go to outside companies like the Irish Contracts already working there. All the so called jobs created will be low paid service workers who will live onsite, im told. all in an area with pretty much full employment anyway.

you may be over the happy with whats gone on but plenty are not.

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been travelling to Aberdeen on a regular basis for years and know the costs of rooms there and how difficult it can be to get one. I don't think the hotelliers association cares a monkey's about Trump. They make their killing out of the oil industry. Do you honestly think that the few golfers that go up there per day will make much impact on the local hotel trade?
No, I don't think that in any way. Trump is not going to effect them at all, which is why no doubt they supported his development.

You have me confused with those who scoffed when I said hoteliers backed Trump. They couldn't understand why that could be, like Bill, but unlike you, they were commenting from a point of ignorance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No, I don't think that in any way. Trump is not going to effect them at all, which is why no doubt they supported his development.

You have me confused with those who scoffed when I said hoteliers backed Trump. They couldn't understand why that could be, like Bill, but unlike you, they were commenting from a point of ignorance.

i notice you keep harping on about how right you were about the Hotel trade being behinde Trump, i'm sure there a plenty of greedy businessmen backing him too, that still does not make the way he behaves, or Eck getting involved (and jumping ship when the camera's had gone ) and Aberdeenshire police doing his bidding.

I travel to Aberdeen fairley reg and have work contacts as well as a few friend in the area, non have ever said they are over the moon with the whole affair.

But you know everything and no one else is allowed an opinion, esp not poor old Bill.

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site
i notice you keep harping on about how right you were about the Hotel trade being behinde Trump, i'm sure there a plenty of greedy businessmen backing him too, that still does not make the way he behaves, or Eck getting involved (and jumping ship when the camera's had gone ) and Aberdeenshire police doing his bidding.

I travel to Aberdeen fairley reg and have work contacts as well as a few friend in the area, non have ever said they are over the moon with the whole affair.

But you know everything and no one else is allowed an opinion, esp not poor old Bill.

The only part of your protestation I disagreed with - because you scoffed at my statement - and was latched onto by others was the bit about the hotel trade, you're wrong, so I'm sorry for "knowing everything", and I'm sorry you're so thin skinned.

Yes, your other minority interest groups you mentioned are not happy, but as you know being fairly local yourself, local opinion is overwhelmingly behind the project.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but treating a deliberatelly misleading documentary as fact, then using that as the basis for a public denounciation of what will be one of the Uk's greatest golf courses without the slightest bit of corroboration, is imo, pretty poor from one of the UK's leading GOLF magazines.
:sbox:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The only part of your protestation I disagreed with - because you scoffed at my statement - and was latched onto by others was the bit about the hotel trade, you're wrong, so I'm sorry for "knowing everything", and I'm sorry you're so thin skinned.

Yes, your other minority interest groups you mentioned are not happy, but as you know being fairly local yourself, local opinion is overwhelmingly behind the project.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but treating a deliberatelly misleading documentary as fact, then using that as the basis for a public denounciation of what will be one of the Uk's greatest golf courses without the slightest bit of corroboration, is imo, pretty poor from one of the UK's leading GOLF magazines.

Theres' a couple of guys from my club involved in the Hotel trade in Aberdeen and they, from what they have told me are not behind the project.

I would not describe SNH and SEPA as "minority interest groups"

I don't know about local opinion being behind the project, all ive seen and heard is a few gready business men hoping to dip their breaks and Eck hoodwinking the rest of the Scottish Gov into thinking it was going to create lots of meaningfull jobs.

I'm sure its a great course, no question there. But if you get into bed with a man like Trump, your are going to get screwed;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I would not describe SNH and SEPA as " Minority interest groups" The RSPB prob are though;)but Lets not forget that the Scottish Gov asked both SEPA and SNH to report on this and both these org used their top people. Eck then just ignored that advice!!!

I 'm not sure about how many locals are behind the project, but i've seen pleanty of greedy business men are, no doubt hoping to dip there beaks in the trough.

If you get into bed with a man ilke Trump, only one thing is going to happen... you will get screwed;)

I would not describe SNH and SEPA as " Minority interest groups" The RSPB prob are though;)but Lets not forget that the Scottish Gov asked both SEPA and SNH to report on this and both these org used their top people. Eck then just ignored that advice!!!

I 'm not sure about how many locals are behind the project, but i've seen pleanty of greedy business men are, no doubt hoping to dip there beaks in the trough.

If you get into bed with a man ilke Trump, only one thing is going to happen... you will get screwed;)