TM GM fitting day at Wentworth

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well here's my experience with this truly unforgettable fitting day. :) courtesy of Golf Monthly and TaylorMade Golf.

Firstly my thanks to Golf Monthly (especially Neil and Paul) for their organisation and friendly manner in dealing with four slightly nervous forumers, it was a massive day for us, and also to TaylorMade Golf - especially Jess(PR Marketing) and Darren (Tour Truck boss) who treated us very well.

Due to distance I flew down the night before and stayed at a nice hotel about 3 miles from Wentworth, there was no way I was taking the chance of missing this opportunity due to possible flight delays.

Rooter very kindly picked me up from the hotel at 7am -Thanks mate - and we arrived at the gates by 7.25 IMG_1001.jpg

First thing we see when we arrive at the fitting centre is the new TaylorMade Tour truck, this is the biggest one they use in their fleet of tour trucks IMG_1002.jpg
we knew by then this was going to be extra special:eek:

After a few introductions with Neil, Paul, G1BBO (Steve) Rooter (Scott) and Jimbob.someroo (Jim) it was off into the tour truck to meet Jess and a massive boxfull of Adizero shoes and Lethal balls. Steve, Scott and Jim all found a nice comfy fit immediately but yours truly needed a wider fit so Jess is kindly getting that organised and sent on. The shoes come with extra insoles for an even snugger fit if you require it but worth trying on first if you are larger like me, the 3 lads were very happy with theirs.

Then it was a quick intro from Darren -apologies for any shaking and video cut off- [video=youtube_share;Eh8vlzQpA6w]http://youtu.be/Eh8vlzQpA6w[/video]
http://youtu.be/Eh8vlzQpA6w

Darren goes on to explain more.... Video in post #2 as only 1 vid allowed per post

After that it was back into the Wentworth TM centre for individual fittings, we were taken one at a time due to the technology they wanted to use in one bay, this made it slightly more nerve racking for each player as everyone watched, but it also gave us some valuable chat time with the tour truck guys and Jess, they had some great stories about some of the players and their likes and dislikes with their equipment, nothing confidential of course.
Jimbob.someroo went first IMG_1006.jpg

I went after Jim and was fitted by Luke, a resident pro at Wentworth. He started by me hitting my own 7 iron to gauge some figures then moved me on to the normal Rocketbladez head, I hit it well and the dispersion was better than my current Titleist AP2 and slightly longer by a couple of yards, spin rates were also improved over the AP2.
The thicker top line didn't suit my eye so Luke moved me onto the Rocketbladez Tour head which he also said should reduce spin rate, this felt much better and he used DG SL S300 shafts-the same as my current clubs-. Dispersion improved again with spin rates averaging 7200, distance dropped over the normal head by a couple of yards but with a much tighter dispersion I was very happy. He recommended strengthening the lofts by 1* to bring the spin rates down further. So I went with TM Rocketbladez Tour 3-PW SL S300 1* strong and 1* upright

Now onto Driver, I have a TM superfast 9.5* in reg and proceeded to hit it very well to set up the starter stats. I then tried the R1 in neutral and 9.5* with the stock shaft. Launch came down to around 12* with spin around 3800 (I think) That shaft in stiff was fine for me and when he asked me to draw it it felt easy to do. The Graphics helped alignment and I think actually made the head look smaller than than I thought and very pleasing to my eye. It was loud but with a powerful sound as opposed to the 'rifle crack' noise some drivers give off.

Onto the fairway wood, starting stats using my Callaway steelhead 4+, some left some right some straight and long.
set me up with the RBZ stage 2 3 wood, it sits very well to the ball and has a slightly shallower face than the previous model, the stock shaft felt a bit boardy near the grip so Luke changed for the TP shaft and the dispersion was night and day to my old Callaway, feel was better and distance up by an average 12 yds carry:thup:

RBZ hybrid also sits very nicely behind the ball and again the stock shaft was replaced with the TP shaft for consistent strikes. I probably hit a 3 iron about 200yds and my 4+ steelhead about 240yds so our target was 220yds with the hybrid, on neutral settings with the TP shaft I averaged 221yds with 5 shots....sorted:)

Order complete it was back into the tour truck to watch my clubs being made, these guys have it to a fine art and even tweaked the number of tapes while there, they use different glue to most and can have clubs ready for use in 15 minutes:eek: as the tour guys come off the range, make a request and expect to be hitting the change after a coffee and sandwich:mmm: IMG_1009.jpg

Off to Lunch in Wentworth before our final surprise of playing the West course:thup:
Wentworth was busy and pictures of legends adorned most walls, only time for a quick Wentworth burger before hitting the 1 st tee IMG_1010.jpg

Off to the 1st tee with Neil, Paul and Jess doing some video and pictures before we all set of on this famous trackIMG_1012.jpg

None of us played that well - apart from Jim- probably a mix of tiredness, new clubs and being watched and filmed constantly, but I know these clubs were just fantastic to hit on the range after being made up, the R1 has brought fun back into driving for me:thup:

We stopped after 4 holes for GM to do some more pieces to camera IMG_1013.jpg

then it was farewell to GM boys and we played on till the weather turned nastier and I had to get back for flights.

Thanks to G1BBO for taking me back through the hell of the M25 to Heathrow where I sat for hours waiting on flights IMG_1016.jpg

I cant say or thank enough to everyone on the day, GM and TM sure know how to look after people. Great bunch of forumers I met as well:thup:

I hope we all improve our handicaps with these fitted clubs, but even if we don't we'll have fun trying.

apologies for the loooooonnngg post

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds a stunning day - hats off to GM. I'd be so nervous - audience, new clubs, 1st tee at Wentworth - phew :swing:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up, and whilst I'm still green with envy its good to see a regular forummer treated so well

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds a stunning day - hats off to GM. I'd be so nervous - audience, new clubs, 1st tee at Wentworth - phew :swing:

Sounds like a top experience !!!

Just a couple of observations, jess is hot:D and why does the half of Scott you can see in that pic look like a cardboard cut out, with a weird expression ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good write up.

Agree with TheRod - Jess is Hot!

Just one more thing, a little thing....

What does the Speed slot do...?
And why isn't it on the 8 iron..?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good write up.

Agree with TheRod - Jess is Hot!

Just one more thing, a little thing....

What does the Speed slot do...?
And why isn't it on the 8 iron..?

Always like to try and be highbrow!!!!

The speedo slot is so gibbo can hit a 200 yard 7 iron. It's not there in the 8 so we can endlessly discuss it on the forum!!!

Was jess the surprise or was that the west course?