GM Editor Speaks OUT

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gonna be controversial but personally think Trumps comments are fair, was one of the most one sided documentaries Ive ever watched and to then make a decision based on it and publicy broadcast that view strikes me as pretty poor (assuming the decision was soley based on the documentary as the article implies). Like reading Bill's articles but don't agree with this

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is mad ,
i had written a email twice to the letter to the editor part of the magazine, about this very article at the back of the current magazine, but i deleted as it kept sounding different than i meant it to ..

I was very surprised at Bill,s comments if im being honest , im very surprised he made his judgement on the film shown , i would thought he would have sought out both sides of the story , maybe he did but he didnt mention it ..
Maybe i should send that email after all

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't see it but am surprised Bill has spoken out based on a BBC documentary which was by all accounts one-sided. Maybe it is true, maybe it isn't, but I would have thought Bill would have sought both sides of the argument before voicing his opinion. It seems from the article that Trump may have a point in this case.

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To invoke Godwins Law early in a thread,I don't believe the editor had to seek out both sides of the argument.It's like wanting to ask Hitler's side of things in 1941.:mmm:

It's clear from the documentary that the way the residents of Menie have been treated is appalling and I admire the stance taken by the editor.I've been invited a couple of times to play there, once before the doc and I couldn't make it, once after and I declined and told the person why.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to say I agree with the previous statements. I watched the documentary when it went out and thought then how one sided it was so didn't make a judgement about the rights & wrongs of the Trump organisation and the course (I stated as much on this forum at the time). With this in mind I am very surprised about the stance taken by Bill Elliott over this, assuming he did write the article off the back of the film as he states, I have always previously enjoyed Bill's articles and sure I will in the future but this apparent lack of proffesionalism is very very surprising and one which the magazine should probably print some sort of retraction or apology for given that Mr Trump doesn't usually take things lying down. Having said all that, I have to say I agree with everything Bill said about Woodhall Spa.

Ken Fitlike

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have to join the list of those appalled by the stance taken by GM here without even bothering to find out the other side of the story. Of course, it's 500 miles from London, so I suppose a bit too much trouble?

To invoke Godwins Law early in a thread,I don't believe the editor had to seek out both sides of the argument.It's like wanting to ask Hitler's side of things in 1941.:mmm:

It's clear from the documentary that the way the residents of Menie have been treated is appalling and I admire the stance taken by the editor.I've been invited a couple of times to play there, once before the doc and I couldn't make it, once after and I declined and told the person why.

The only thing clear from the documentary is how one-sided it all was. Has a single resident been moved out? No.

Was Forbes' water off for over a week? No.

Did they try to canvas opinion from other locals but got the wrong feedback? Yes, they were in the local pub (amongst other avenues), Baxter trying to get anyone to slate Trump/Trumpland, you'll recall there was no pub footage in the film, because of course, no-one had a bad word to say about the development.

I imagine in the cold light of day, Mr Elliot is pretty embarrassed at his lack of profesionalism displayed in this piece.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
complete lack of professionalism from Bill, frankly I'm surprised at it.
If he bothered to get his backside up to the course he would find the majority of people support it.
TBH most people who comment on this topic have never ventured further north than Edinburgh and base it all on sloppy journalism and hearsay.
Go visit the site, get the facts, speak to the locals, then make judgment.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
Have to join the list of those appalled by the stance taken by GM here without even bothering to find out the other side of the story. Of course, it's 500 miles from London, so I suppose a bit too much trouble?

Nowhere is it stated that this is GM's stance - it is the personal opinion of Bill Elliott - don't make the mistake of reading that as GM.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm very unlikely to play that course due to it's location, not due to any media coverage of the development and alleged treatment of the locals.

I'd like to hope that Bill Elliott does one of 2 things in face of this criticism:
1/ Produce some facts to back his position.
2/ Apologise if he has no factual basis for his opinion

JPH

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A journalist upset about two journalists being arrested for no proper reason, I for one am not surprised by the GM editors comments.

I think it's a reasonable piece ,and anyway Trump was a complete tool a long time before this latest incident

The man has spent thousands of pounds and hours of time trying to prove Americas first black president is
African and not American , he's an absolute out and out utter spanner

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would actually refuse a round here no problem,even a membership,as I absolutely detest Trump and all he stands for! I admire Bill for his bravery.